|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sharpe notice about the enlistment process?
(a) There are a few minor irregularities.
(b) It is sloppy but basically by the book.
(c) It is quite professional.
(d) It is totally irregular and fraudulent.
2. With whom does Sharpe have a discussion about his regiment?
(a) Lord Cornwallis.
(b) A prisoner named General Lafitte.
(c) Patrick Harper.
(d) Colonel Nairn.
3. What happens just before Sharpe's Regiment opens?
(a) Patrick Harper is gravely wounded.
(b) Sharpe is gravely wounded.
(c) Napoleon has surrendered.
(d) A combat encounter between the first battalion of the South Essex Regiment and French forces.
4. Who escapes while Sharpe is talking with Jane?
5. What does Harper and Sharpe capture in the battle Sharpe is describing?
(a) A French Imperial Eagle.
(b) The commander of the Dragoons.
(c) General Lafitte.
(d) Napoleon's nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sergeant Horatio Havercamp?
2. Who does Girdwood hate?
3. What does Lynch do to Marriott?
4. What does the person that Maggie Joyce sends give Sharpe?
5. Where does Harper and Sharpe go?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sharpe presented at the royal gala, how does Sharpe present himself and how does the Prince feel about Sharpe?
2. What does Sharpe think of the battle that ended immediately proceeding the start of this novel and how did the battle come out for the English?
3. What does Jane tell him about the system for the recruits there and what does she say she will do?
4. What is Havercamp like as a person, and what does he promise the recruits and how does he pay for the drinks he serves the recruits?
5. What are Girdwood's orders concerning Harper and what does Harper do?
6. How does Sharpe rescue Harper?
7. What are a couple of irregularities Sharpe notices about the recruiting Havercamp is doing?
8. What does Nairn suggest Sharpe should do and why?
9. Who travels with Sharpe to England and what do they find at the second battalion depot?
10. What does Sharpe decide is the best course of action following his encounter in the city? How do he and Harper live?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)