|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Harper and Sharpe do later that night?
(a) Go looking for who hired the men that followed Sharpe.
(b) Leave the city.
(c) Go pay a visit to Lord Fenner.
(d) Sleep off their liquor.
2. In what condition is Marriott found?
(c) Severely beaten.
(d) Exhausted and half-drowned.
3. Where does Harper go after the play?
(a) An inn for many rounds of free drinks and soldier's bragging.
(b) With Sharpe to start investigating the missing 2nd battalion.
(c) To London.
(d) Home with his wife.
4. Why do Girdwood and Simmerson make such an effort to find escaped recruits?
(a) For practice in tracking.
(b) As an example to other recruits.
(c) They have paid a lot of money for their training and room and board.
(d) Because Girdwood and Simmerson are engaged in illegal activities and the recruit might report them.
5. What seems likely about Sharpe and Jane?
(a) They have been lovers.
(b) They feel strong affection for each other.
(c) They are like oil and water.
(d) They come from similar backgrounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the bar where Sharpe goes?
2. Where do Harper and Sharpe go after several weeks on the island?
3. What is Chelmsford?
4. What does Harper do?
5. Who does Girdwood hate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a couple of irregularities Sharpe notices about the recruiting Havercamp is doing?
2. What happens that makes Sharpe believe he can straighten out the problem with the second battalion?
3. What is Havercamp like as a person, and what does he promise the recruits and how does he pay for the drinks he serves the recruits?
4. What does Sharpe give Maggie and why?
5. Where does Sharpe meet Jane Gibbons when at Simmerson and what do they do?
6. What does Jane tell him about the system for the recruits there and what does she say she will do?
7. Of what units does the South Essex consist and what is the function of each of those units? What seems to be the problem with one of the units?
8. When Sharpe presented at the royal gala, how does Sharpe present himself and how does the Prince feel about Sharpe?
9. What does Sharpe think of the battle that ended immediately proceeding the start of this novel and how did the battle come out for the English?
10. How does Harper feel about Marriott's punishment for escaping and what does he do, what happens to him and what does Sharpe assume?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)