|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the unit designation on the enlistment forms?
(a) It is blank.
(b) The 1st battalion of the 10th artillery brigade.
(c) The 2nd battalion of the 3rd rifle brigade.
(d) The 2nd battalion of the South Essex regiment.
2. What does Lynch do to Marriott?
(a) Tongue lashes him.
(b) Murders him.
(c) Gives him 30 lashes.
(d) Beats him.
3. What does Nairn suggest that outrages Sharpe?
(a) That Sharpe become a spy in Paris.
(b) That the men of the first battalion be dispersed.
(c) That Sharpe's men were playing it safe in the last battle.
(d) That Sharpe's men be given early releases and the unit disbanded.
4. What does Nairn think Sharpe should do?
(a) Accept a position as aide de camp to Wellington.
(c) Investigate the second battalion.
(d) Accept a position as army liaision to Admiral Nelson.
5. What is one thing the recruiter implies the army has?
(a) Regular hours.
(b) Excellent room and board.
(c) Good training programs.
(d) Lots of free time.
6. What did the owner of the bar teach Sharpe?
(a) How to spot a card cheat.
(b) How to play whist.
(c) How to read.
(d) How to survive on the streets.
7. What is the recruiter like who they encounter?
(b) Likeable and persuasive.
8. Where does Harper go after the play?
(a) Home with his wife.
(b) With Sharpe to start investigating the missing 2nd battalion.
(c) To London.
(d) An inn for many rounds of free drinks and soldier's bragging.
9. What does Jane say she will leave in the boathouse?
(a) A map.
(b) Her uncle's account books.
(c) Food and money.
(d) A gun.
10. Who is Lord Simon Fenner?
(a) Secretary of the State of Readiness.
(b) The leader of the house of Lords.
(c) Secretary of State at War.
(d) Secretary to Admirals Nelson and Leighton.
11. How many of the second battalion does Sharpe find?
(b) About half of the battalion.
(c) All 1,000 of the men.
(d) Three officers and a few enlisted men.
12. How does Jane react?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She tells Lynch.
(c) She immediately recognizes Sharpe.
(d) She screams.
13. Where is the opening set?
(d) Near Brussels.
14. What does Harper do?
(a) Tries to kill Lynch.
(b) Supports Lynch's decision because Marriott is a deserter.
(c) Verbally abuses Lynch.
15. What does Harper do?
(a) Goes to ground in the mud.
(b) Climbs a tree.
(d) Refuses to participate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, along with Harper, enjoys the crowds?
2. Where are they recruits finally led?
3. Who is Lieutenant Colonel Girdwood?
4. How does Girdwood wear his mustache?
5. How is Sharpe when he leaves Maggie Joyce?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)