|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Weller and Marriott?
(a) Two men who sign up at the same time as Sharpe and Harper.
(b) The Lord and his chatelaine over that village.
(c) The other 2 recruiters with whom Sharpe's group meets up.
(d) The Lord and his son over that village.
2. Who is Jane Gibbons?
(a) Sharpe's sister.
(b) A ward of the former commanding officer of the South Essex.
(c) Harper's sister.
(d) A camp follower.
3. Who is Lord Simon Fenner?
(a) Secretary of the State of Readiness.
(b) Secretary of State at War.
(c) Secretary to Admirals Nelson and Leighton.
(d) The leader of the house of Lords.
4. In what condition is Marriott found?
(b) Severely beaten.
(c) Exhausted and half-drowned.
5. What does Sharpe think of the recent battle?
(a) Sharpe express no opinion about it.
(b) It gives them a great advantage over the French.
(c) It is strategically insignificant and tactically pointless.
(d) It was essential to winning the war against Napoleon.
6. With whom does Sharpe have a discussion about his regiment?
(a) Colonel Nairn.
(b) A prisoner named General Lafitte.
(c) Lord Cornwallis.
(d) Patrick Harper.
7. What did the owner of the bar teach Sharpe?
(a) How to spot a card cheat.
(b) How to read.
(c) How to survive on the streets.
(d) How to play whist.
8. How are the recruits documented?
(a) Forms they have to sign or make their mark.
(b) They receive a tiny brand on their shoulder.
(c) They receive a tiny tattoo on their shoulder.
(d) They give their hand print.
9. What does the person who is asked about the second battalion say?
(a) He will look into the matter.
(b) The training grounds have moved.
(c) He is not responsible for those type of matters.
(d) The battalion is on its way to France at the moment.
10. What does Lynch do to Weller's dog?
(a) Feeds it scraps.
(b) Crushes it with his boot.
(c) Makes it leave the island.
(d) Throws it into the water to drown.
11. What does the person that Maggie Joyce sends give Sharpe?
(a) A pistol and a warning.
(b) Some money.
(c) A note from Lord Fenner.
(d) A sword.
12. Who has Simmerson promised Jane's hand in marriage?
(b) Lord Smithwood.
13. Who, along with Harper, enjoys the crowds?
(c) Maggie Joyce.
14. What does Sharpe decide to let his enemies think?
(a) That he has returned to France.
(b) He does not care what his enemies think.
(c) That he has fled to the United States.
(d) That he is dead.
15. Why do Girdwood and Simmerson make such an effort to find escaped recruits?
(a) Because Girdwood and Simmerson are engaged in illegal activities and the recruit might report them.
(b) For practice in tracking.
(c) They have paid a lot of money for their training and room and board.
(d) As an example to other recruits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is odd about Chelmsford?
2. What does Girdwood decide to do about Harper?
3. What happens just before Sharpe's Regiment opens?
4. What is the unit designation on the enlistment forms?
5. Whose estate do the recruits pass?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)