|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the play about that Sharpe and Harper attend?
(a) The battle of Vitoria.
(b) The battle of Trafalgar.
(c) The battle of Brussels.
(d) The battle at Waterloo.
2. Who has Simmerson promised Jane's hand in marriage?
(d) Lord Smithwood.
3. How does Jane react?
(a) She immediately recognizes Sharpe.
(b) She tells Lynch.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She screams.
4. Who does Sharpe encounter after speaking with Carline?
(b) Sergeant Carew.
(c) No one.
5. What is the month and year at the opening of Sharpe's Regiment?
(a) June, 1824.
(b) December, 1824.
(c) June, 1813.
(d) December, 1814.
6. Who is presented as slightly confused but enthusiastic about military matters?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) The Duke of Orange.
(c) The Duke of York.
(d) The Prince of Orange.
7. Where is the last time Carline saw Lt. Col. Girdwood?
(a) About a year.
(b) Many months ago.
(c) Three days ago.
(d) Two weeks ago.
8. What does Girdwood decide to do about Harper?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Hunt him like he is game.
(c) Hang him.
(d) Put him in stocks for a week.
9. What does Lynch do to Marriott?
(a) Murders him.
(b) Beats him.
(c) Tongue lashes him.
(d) Gives him 30 lashes.
10. To whom does Girdwood hand over the new recruits?
(a) Sergeant Weller.
(b) Sergeant John Lynch.
(c) He takes charge of them himself.
(d) Sergeant Hooper.
11. What accompanies the work parties that go off the island?
(c) Unusually heavy guard.
12. What does a day's worth of recruiting yield?
(a) 12 men.
(b) 3 men.
(c) 1 man.
(d) 6 men.
13. What did the owner of the bar teach Sharpe?
(a) How to read.
(b) How to spot a card cheat.
(c) How to play whist.
(d) How to survive on the streets.
14. What seems likely about Sharpe and Jane?
(a) They are like oil and water.
(b) They feel strong affection for each other.
(c) They come from similar backgrounds.
(d) They have been lovers.
15. How do Harper and Sharpe make their way through the countryside?
(a) On money from their prize catch.
(b) Borrowing from a governement secret agent.
(c) Incognito as nobles.
(d) Poaching and doing odd jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharpe tell Jane?
2. What is the recruiter like who they encounter?
3. What happens just before Sharpe's Regiment opens?
4. What does Sharpe think of the recent battle?
5. Where is the opening set?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)