|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel spot as the group leaves La Marquesa's wagon?
2. What does Harper believe?
3. In whose honor do the men take the village?
4. Who becomes the commanding officer after Leroy's death?
5. What do Sharpe and Angel decide to do when Angel finds Sharpe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Fifth Division do in the battle of Vitoria and what happens to Leroy?
2. What do Sharpe and Harper discover about Helene and what do they do?
3. What does La Marquesa do after it is obvious the British have won and what happens to her?
4. Who comes to eat with Sharpe and what do they give him?
5. How do the French feel before the battle of Vitoria?
6. About what do Harper and d'Alembord have a bet concerning Sharpe?
7. What does Sharpe do when el Matarife shows up at the inn? How does that end?
8. Who does Sharpe think of when leading the troops and what does he do with the troops?
9. How, according to Helene could Sharpe break parole and maintain his honor? What does he think is the reason she is pushing him? What does he do after she leaves him?
10. What happens when Sharpe arrives at the Fifth Division?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast the two people. Include in the discussion their type of leadership, their personality, their morals, and whether you would like to serve under them.
1. Sharpe and Ducos.
2. Harper and Angel.
3. Hacha and Sharpe.
Essay Topic 2
Most people and regular soldiers detest spies and the idea of spying. Spies are not considered in the same vein as soldiers in uniform and are not protected by the customs and regulations that govern the treatment of soldiers who are in uniform when captured. Wellington sends Sharpe out, under a false name, to not only clear his name but also to spy on the French. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think spies are not accorded any rights under many countries' laws and/or customs?
2. Even though all countries abhor spies, often even their own, they still spy, and men and women are still willing to be spies. Discuss why you think this is so.
3. Research and analyze the history of spying in either England, France or Spain.
4. Does Sharpe seem the image of a typical spy as you visualize one? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Sharpe's Honour.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Sharpe's Honour. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Sharpe's Honour. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)