|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel do obsessively with his weapon?
2. Why does Wellington have a special connection with Sharpe?
3. What does Ducos want Helene to do?
4. How does Father Hacha feel about Sharpe's death?
5. Why is Helene moving her fortune to France?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Wellington execute Sharpe and what does Hogan tell Sharpe about his mission?
2. What sentence does Sharpe receive at the end of his trial and how do the Spanish feel about it?
3. What does the Mother Superior at the convent ask Sharpe and what does he tell her?
4. What is el Matarife doing with a prisoner when Sharpe meets him at the inn and what does Sharpe do about it?
5. Why is el Matarife at an inn near the Convent of the Heavens and what does he do about Wellington's request?
6. Who is assigned to defend Sharpe and what does he tell Sharpe?
7. Why is Angel helping Sharpe and what kind of weapon does he carry?
8. What event happens concerning the Marque after his discussion with Father Hacha?
9. Describe what the Spanish see during Sharpe's supposed execution.
10. What does Father Hacha think to accomplish with his actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast the two people. Include in the discussion their type of leadership, their personality, their morals, and whether you would like to serve under them.
1. Sharpe and Ducos.
2. Harper and Angel.
3. Hacha and Sharpe.
Essay Topic 2
Cornwell has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think this book qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
At the conclusion of a novel, most readers either consciously or unconsciously engage in processing the book and usually come to a conclusion as to whether they like the book or not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Would you consider Sharpe's Honor a "good" book? Why or why not? Use examples to illustrate your stance.
2. What do you think are the elements of an outstanding novel? Analyze one of your favorite novels to see if those elements are present.
3. What are some reasons you might consider a novel a failure? Analyze a novel you think is a failure and see if those elements are in that novel.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)