|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapon does Angel carry?
2. Who is Sharpe given to help him clear his name?
3. Where did Sharpe get the telescope he owns?
4. What does Hogan warn Sharpe about with the French?
5. What position does Lt. Colonel Leroy hold in the South Essex Battalion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sharpe and Angel get past the ambush with La Marquesa?
2. Describe what the Spanish see during Sharpe's supposed execution.
3. What happens when Sharpe arrives at the Fifth Division?
4. What is the Marques and Father Hacha discussing in Chapter Five? What does the Marques say about his wife?
5. Why do Sharpe and La Marquesa stop at an inn and what does Sharpe do about it?
6. Why do Sharpe and Patrick return to La Marquesa's wagons, what does Sharpe see and what does he do?
7. What is Wellington's plans for the battle at Vitoria?
8. Where does La Marquesa want Sharpe to take her?
9. What does Hogan call Sharpe's situation and how does he describe it?
10. What does Father Hacha think to accomplish with his actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Sharpe's Honour. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in Sharpe's Honour and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Sharpe and his responses to them.
3. Discuss how and why Hacha's behavior is related to politics and why his behavior is an example of manipulation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Sharpe and Ducos. Include their goals, sense of honor, abilities, and social skills.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Harper and Angel.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Richard Sharpe discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
In any book centered around the military, leadership of the troops is often crucial with the better leaders able to command the respect and loyalty of their men. The men's willingness to follow a particularly leader can have a decisive impact upon the success of a mission. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Analyze the elements of those effective leaders thoroughly and discuss the traits of the good leaders. What makes an excellent leader/commander? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems most ineffective? Analyze the elements of those ineffective leaders thoroughly and discuss the traits of the poor leaders. What makes a poor leader/commander? Give examples.
3. Is disobeying a poor leader ever justifiable? Explain using details from the text, other books you have read and your personal experience. In times of war, disobeying an order can be punishable by death. Is this harsh sentence justifiable for such an act? Why or why not.
This section contains 3,448 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)