|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Sharpe begin to beat the door down on the convent?
2. To what does Hogan compare the situation with Sharpe?
3. How does Ducos feel towards Helene?
4. Why was Sharpe arrested in Chapter 5?
5. Where does Sharpe find Helene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Angel worried about Sharpe's plan in Chapter Eleven and what does Sharpe tell him?
2. What does Hogan order Sharpe to do and why?
3. Why does Sharpe feel guilty in Chapter One?
4. Why can't Wellington execute Sharpe and what does Hogan tell Sharpe about his mission?
5. Why is Angel helping Sharpe and what kind of weapon does he carry?
6. How does Sharpe feel about tents, why does he feel that way and what does he and Patrick think they might be able to do about them?
7. What is d'Alembord doing to help Sharpe with his duel, what has he done in secret and how did Sharpe's last duel end?
8. How did Sharpe survive his death sentence?
9. What does Father Hacha think to accomplish with his actions?
10. Why does Leroy confront Sharpe and what does he want Sharpe to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sharpe, despite his background, is an officer and a gentleman and is therefore accorded more respect and trust even in enemy territory than the common soldier. He has been told if he gives his parole he will not be guarded yet he cannot accede to that. Discuss the following:
1. Does it seem likely that officers are usually more respectable than enlisted men back then? What about today? Why or why not.
2. Sharpe has begun an affair with Helene, a woman recently widowed and who has participated in setting Sharpe up to be convicted of murder. Do you think this is how an officer and gentleman comports himself? Why or why not.
3. In the present military in the United States, both officers and enlisted can be held for court martial for adultery or having sexual relations with someone of inferior rank. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with the policy?
Essay Topic 2
Sharpe accepts the challenge of the duel not only because he is bored, but because he feels he needs to redeem himself somehow. Perhaps by fighting the duel he can erase the mistakes of his past, honor his dead wife, and give himself some peace all at once.
1. Sharpe will participate in a dangerous duel because he feels guilty about his wife. How do you think guilt and reckless behavior are related? Use examples from the book and your own experience to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the behaviors that teenagers in modern America might have because of feelings of guilt. How efficient do you think these behaviors are in erasing guilt?
3. Discuss constructive actions or behaviors a person might use or do in order to assuage guilt. Would any of these be available to Sharpe? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast the two people. Include in the discussion their type of leadership, their personality, their morals, and whether you would like to serve under them.
1. Sharpe and Ducos.
2. Harper and Angel.
3. Hacha and Sharpe.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)