|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Hacha tell the Marques about the outcome of the duel?
2. What has come to light which incriminates Sharpe?
3. What does Ducos want Helene to do?
4. For what did Ducos use Helene in the past?
5. Who is Sharpe given to help him clear his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharpe do when he first arrives at the convent where Helene is being held?
2. What is d'Alembord doing to help Sharpe with his duel, what has he done in secret and how did Sharpe's last duel end?
3. What is el Matarife doing with a prisoner when Sharpe meets him at the inn and what does Sharpe do about it?
4. What does Ducos do to set La Marquesa up to do his bidding?
5. Why is Angel worried about Sharpe's plan in Chapter Eleven and what does Sharpe tell him?
6. How did Sharpe survive his death sentence?
7. What does La Marquesa do at the start of the battle of Vitoria and who protects her and why was he chosen?
8. Why do Sharpe and Patrick return to La Marquesa's wagons, what does Sharpe see and what does he do?
9. Why can't Wellington execute Sharpe and what does Hogan tell Sharpe about his mission?
10. What event happens concerning the Marque after his discussion with Father Hacha?
Essay Topic 1
Most of the entire series of novels concerning Richard Sharpe takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place on land between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British infantry during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British infantry during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britian, France, or Germany.
Essay Topic 2
At the conclusion of a novel, most readers either consciously or unconsciously engage in processing the book and usually come to a conclusion as to whether they like the book or not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Would you consider Sharpe's Honor a "good" book? Why or why not? Use examples to illustrate your stance.
2. What do you think are the elements of an outstanding novel? Analyze one of your favorite novels to see if those elements are present.
3. What are some reasons you might consider a novel a failure? Analyze a novel you think is a failure and see if those elements are in that novel.
Essay Topic 3
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Sharpe's Honour. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in Sharpe's Honour and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Sharpe and his responses to them.
3. Discuss how and why Hacha's behavior is related to politics and why his behavior is an example of manipulation. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 3,433 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)