|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the French forces do in Chapter 24?
(a) Unabashedly flee.
(b) Make a last ditch stand.
(c) Out flank the English and come in behind them.
(d) Wipe out the English cavalry.
2. From where does Saumier think Wellington will attack?
(a) The plains.
(b) Over the sea road.
(c) The river.
(d) The heights.
3. Why does Ducos hate Sharpe?
(a) Sharpe impregnated Ducos's oldest daughter.
(b) Sharpe killed Ducos's son.
(c) Sharpe seduced Ducos's wife.
(d) Sharpe broke Ducos's spectacles.
4. Why do they encourage Sharpe to offer his parole?
(a) Because it is unthinkable for an officer to be treated as a criminal.
(b) The do not care if Sharpe offers his parole.
(c) To find out if his handwriting matches that of a letter they have from Sharpe.
(d) To see if he is really honorable.
5. What does Hogan not believe about Sharpe?
(a) That he killed the Marques.
(b) That he is having an affair with Helene.
(c) That he is dead.
(d) That he deserted his position.
6. Whose release is Sharpe negotiating with El Matarife?
(c) No one.
(d) La Marquesa.
7. Who leads the Fifth Division?
(d) Colonel Leroy.
8. Where does Sharpe stop briefly when coming in after the battle of Vitoria?
(a) In the British baggage train.
(b) In Verginy's tent.
(c) Helene's carriage.
(d) Near the river.
9. Why is Ducos happy as he flees?
(a) His treaty will save France.
(b) He wants the British to win.
(c) He thinks Sharpe is dead.
(d) He can see Helene.
10. What does Sharpe decide to do about the parole?
(a) Sign it.
(b) Give it one more day.
(c) Not sign it.
(d) Sign it as Major Vaughn.
11. What causes El Matarife and the Partisans to run?
(a) French lancers rushing into the village.
(b) An explosion of their gunpowder stores.
(c) Sharpe wounding El Matarife.
(d) The rumor of the British arriving.
12. What act does Sharpe perform which turns the tide of opinion against him?
(a) Accidentally killing a child.
(b) Beating a noble woman.
(c) Breaking into a convent.
(d) Killing a man without proving his guilt.
13. Who does La Marquesa think she sees at Vitoria?
(a) El Matarife.
14. Who does Sharpe almost encounter as he is walking?
(c) El Matarife.
(d) General Verigny.
15. What does Sharpe do when La Marquesa visits him?
(a) Holds her hostage.
(b) Makes love with her.
(c) She is not allowed to visit him.
(d) Slaps her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does La Marquesa do when French gunfire begins?
2. What does Sharpe blame for his current predicament?
3. Who is Captain Saumier?
4. Who do the men think Sharpe is when he arrives?
5. What village does the Fifth Division invade?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)