Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharpe give to Dubreton?
2. On the day after Christmas how do the convent and the castle appear to the French?
3. What type of casualties do the French take from their second attack on the castle?
4. To what person is Hakeswill devoted?
5. Who surprises Sharpe with a visit?
At the conclusion of a novel, most readers either consciously or unconsciously engage in processing the book and usually come to a conclusion as to whether they like the book or not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Would you consider Sharpe's Enemy a "good" book? Why or why not? Use examples to illustrate your stance.
2. What do you think are the elements of an outstanding novel? Analyze one of your favorite novels to see if those elements are present.
3. What are some reasons you might consider a novel a failure? Analyze a novel you think is a failure and see if those elements are in that novel.
Honor is a very important concept in Sharpe's Enemy and in the life of those in the upper class during that era. Sharpe demands honor from Ducos, who declines. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of honor in Sharpe's Enemy. What do you think Sharpe would tell you is the definition of honor if you ask him? Do you think honor can be restored if it is lost?
2. Respond to the following statement using specific examples from the book and your own experience: Honor is one of the most important character traits for anyone in any social strata. First fully define the concept of honor, then discuss whether you believe the preceding statement is true with specific examples from Sharpe's Enemy and other books/films, etc... that you have read or experienced.
3. During the era in which Sharpe lives, men could give their word on the basis of being a gentleman and it is assumed to be true. There was no such concept for a lady or anyone of lower social/economic groups. Fully discuss the implications in a society where only gentlemen are considered trustworthy enough to give their word unquestioned.
In any book centered around the military, leadership of the troops is often crucial with the better leaders able to command the respect and loyalty of their men. The men's willingness to follow a particularly leader can have a decisive impact upon the success of a mission. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Analyze the elements of those effective leaders thoroughly and discuss the traits of the good leaders. What makes an excellent leader/commander? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems most ineffective? Analyze the elements of those ineffective leaders thoroughly and discuss the traits of the poor leaders. What makes a poor leader/commander? Give examples.
3. Is disobeying a poor leader ever justifiable? Explain using details from the text, other books you have read and your personal experience. In times of war, disobeying an order can be punishable by death. Is this harsh sentence justifiable for such an act? Why or why not.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)