|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what location does Chapter 1 begin?
2. What are the two leaders of the Andrados force doing when they talk to Sharpe?
3. What does the rocket battalion have that Sharpe needs?
4. What happens as the British forces are scrambling over the castle's outer walls?
5. What does the Chaplain General ask Nairn to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharpe and Harper do when they first arrive at Andrados?
2. Where and at what time is the Prologue set?
3. What do Sharpe and Harper notice about the basement in the convent?
4. What are the first actions Sharpe takes after the war council?
5. What does Lady Farthingdale do when she sees Sharpe?
6. What is happening in Andrados at the beginning of the novel and who is doing it?
7. What does Farthingdale do when he is injured and what does Sharpe see after he does it?
8. What does Sharpe capture first at the castle and how does he do it?
9. Who is spotted in the village that surprises Sharpe?
10. What does Sharpe first do when he takes over his new command and to what conclusions does he come?
Essay Topic 1
Sharpe's Enemy is one book in a series of novels involving Richard Sharpe. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast the two people. Include in the discussion their type of leadership, their personality, their morals and whether you would like to serve under them.
1. Sharpe and Farthingdale.
2. Teresa and Josefina.
3. Hakeswill and Ducos.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Richard Sharpe is no exception. Sharpes legendary powers of military strategy is juxtaposed with his reputation as a womanzier. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Sharpe demonstrates his prodigious powers of military strategy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Sharpe's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Sharpe's admirable traits helped him obtain a high rank in the military despite his background as a child. Have his flaws impacted his career at all? Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 3,518 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)