|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the rocket battalion be doing while Sharpe is gone?
2. Why does the Colonel keep Lady Farthingdale safe?
3. What do Sharpe and Harper look at when surveying the convent?
4. In what direction from the mountain pass is Andrados located?
5. What does the army that conquered Andrados do in the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Andrados at the beginning of the novel and who is doing it?
2. Who does Sharpe meet who is head of the rifle company going to Andrados, what is that man like and how does Sharpe feel about him?
3. How does Farthingdale act towards Sharpe when he returns without the woman?
4. What does Nairn decide about Andrados and what does Sharpe do?
5. What do Pot-au-Feu and Hakeswill suggest to Sharpe and the others and what are they doing while they talk?
6. What happens to Sharpe and the three others in the convent shortly after they meet?
7. What does Sharpe first do when he takes over his new command and to what conclusions does he come?
8. What happens to the British forces as they scramble over the castle walls?
9. What do Sharpe and Harper notice about the basement in the convent?
10. Who is Spain at war with and how is the country divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The evidence of murder, torture, and mass rape is throughout the convent. Sharpe watches a woman being tortured by being branded on her breasts with a red-hot iron. The Elsewhere women are systematically tortured in sexually stylistic ways.
1. Present and analyze the treatment of women in Sharpe's Enemy.
2. Cornwell is trying to be historically accurate, so is his treatment of women in his book(s) justified? Why or why not?
3. Is there any way Cornwell could have presented women in a more positive light and still stayed historically accurate? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast the two people. Include in the discussion their type of leadership, their personality, their morals and whether you would like to serve under them.
1. Sharpe and Farthingdale.
2. Teresa and Josefina.
3. Hakeswill and Ducos.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Richard Sharpe is no exception. Sharpes legendary powers of military strategy is juxtaposed with his reputation as a womanzier. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Sharpe demonstrates his prodigious powers of military strategy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Sharpe's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Sharpe's admirable traits helped him obtain a high rank in the military despite his background as a child. Have his flaws impacted his career at all? Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)