|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frederickson repel at the watch tower?
(a) A small French reconnaissance force.
(b) French dragoons.
(c) A French battering ram.
(d) A massed French attack.
2. Why was Sharpe flogged in India?
(a) Framed by Hakeswill for a crime.
(b) He refused a direct order.
(c) He slept with the commanding officer's wife.
(d) He hit an officer.
3. What was the book about that Farthingdale wrote?
(a) The political situation in the House of Lords.
(b) Military strategy.
(c) Hunting foxes with hounds.
4. What does Sharpe do when the French are fifty yards from the trench?
(a) Counterattack with cavalry.
(b) Set fire to the trench.
(c) Release an avalanche stones on them.
(d) Send the rockets through their ranks.
5. What happens just as the French begin their final massive attack?
(a) A large British force arrives.
(b) Sharpe surrenders.
(c) The defenders withdraw to the village.
(d) Shapre finds three cannon and repulse the French yet again.
6. What do the British do when the French artillery begins?
(a) Abandons all positions outside the castle.
(b) Target the artillery soldiers.
(d) Send rockets into their artillery.
7. Why have the French admitted defeat?
(a) They don't want to fight Sharpe anymore.
(b) They know they are outnumbered.
(c) Their strategic plan is ruined.
(d) They don't care that much about Spain anyway.
8. What type of attack does the French commander favor?
(a) Burning the castle.
(b) An attack en masse.
(c) Guerrilla type warfare.
(d) Having someone on the inside open the gates.
9. What does Pot-au-Fea so when Sharpe reaches the castle?
(a) Shoot Harper.
(b) Go to the village.
(c) Run away to the hills.
(d) Commit his main force.
10. How do many of Pot-au-Fea's men escape?
(a) Through a tunnel.
(b) Dodging through the village.
(c) Swimming the moat.
(d) Over the south wall.
11. What do the French skirmishers do as the French column advances?
(b) Go to the main gatehouse.
(c) Attack the convent.
(d) Stay where they are.
12. Who was Sharpe's mother?
(a) He doesn't know who his mother is.
(b) The wife of a Lord.
(c) An artist.
(d) A prostitute.
13. What does Sharpe send Harper to collect?
(a) Unused rifles.
(b) Live birds.
(c) Bones from the ossery.
14. How does the French feel about the British defense of the castle?
15. What kind of military leader is Farthingdale?
(c) Slow thinking.
(d) About average.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharpe demand from Ducos?
2. What does Sharpe give to Dubreton?
3. What do Sharpe and Harper do when they see the British attack faltering?
4. What does Sharpe tell Farthingdale about Lady Farthingdale?
5. What does the French do the day after the convent is destroyed?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)