|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the troops spotted doing?
(a) Reconnoitering the far side of the town.
(b) Preparing to attack the castle.
(c) Converging on the convent.
(d) Coming over the mountain pass.
2. How do the British use the remaining rockets?
(a) They keep them for last minute defense.
(b) As hand-thrown bombs.
(c) As incendiary devices.
(d) For setting off the avalanche charge.
3. What happens just as the French begin their final massive attack?
(a) Sharpe surrenders.
(b) The defenders withdraw to the village.
(c) Shapre finds three cannon and repulse the French yet again.
(d) A large British force arrives.
4. What does Sharpe do with the newly arrived unit?
(a) Send them to the village.
(b) Conceal them in the convent.
(c) Keep them outside the south gate.
(d) Put them in the castle central yard.
5. What does Sharpe insist on with Farthingdale?
(a) That only he surreder to the French.
(b) A private conversation.
(c) That he leave for the British base immediately.
(d) That he assume command of the war council.
6. How does Hakeswill get free of the dungeon?
(a) Farthingdale accidentally releases him.
(b) He is taken out so he can fight.
(c) He tricks his guards.
(d) He gets the bars loose in the window.
7. What do the French skirmishers do as the French column advances?
(a) Attack the convent.
(b) Go to the main gatehouse.
(d) Stay where they are.
8. What do the French emphasize about the British forces?
(a) Their lack of reinforcements.
(b) Their incompetency.
(c) Their lack of supplies.
(d) Their small numbers.
9. What do the British leaders attend on Christmas day?
(b) A dinner with the French leaders.
(c) A war council.
(d) A Christmas church service.
10. What happens to Hakeswill at the end of the novel?
(a) He is sent to prison.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is transported.
(d) He is shot by firing squad.
11. How does the French feel about the British defense of the castle?
12. What does Farthingdale tell the council about his head wound?
(a) It is troubling him but he can fight in spite of that.
(b) It is troubling him.
(c) He wants revenge for the wound.
(d) It is nothing.
13. What kind of military leader is Farthingdale?
(a) Slow thinking.
(b) About average.
14. What do the British do when the French artillery begins?
(a) Abandons all positions outside the castle.
(b) Target the artillery soldiers.
(d) Send rockets into their artillery.
15. What does Sharpe tell Farthingdale about Lady Farthingdale?
(a) He knows all about her.
(b) She will be a liability.
(c) Harper was planning to marry her.
(d) She has had a child by Sharpe.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many French forces converge on Andrados?
2. Who interviews Sharpe back at the British base?
3. Who favors the type of attack the French forces leader favors?
4. What does Sharpe realize about the French?
5. What does Dubreton return to Sharpe after the cease fire?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)