|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who summons Captain Sharpe in Chapter 1?
(a) Viscount Wellington.
(b) Major Hogan.
(c) General Nairn.
(d) Colonel Johnson.
2. What does Nairn order Sharpe to do in Chapter 3?
(a) Go to Andrados and scout the area.
(b) Go arrest or kill Hakeswill.
(c) Find Hogan.
(d) Go home for his brother's funeral.
3. What are the two leaders of the Andrados force doing when they talk to Sharpe?
(b) Fondling semi-nude women.
(c) Torturing Hogan.
(d) Raping young Spanish girls.
4. Where are the English troops heading in the Prologue?
(a) Towards Madrid.
(b) Towards England.
(c) Towards an invasion of France.
(d) Towards Portugal.
5. Where has Sharpe seen Lady Farthingdale before?
(a) In Lisbon.
(b) In Madrid.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) In London.
6. What do the men defending the castle do?
(a) Surrender to Sharpe.
(b) Go into the village.
(c) Run away.
(d) Attack the convent.
7. What do Sharpe and Harper look at when surveying the convent?
(a) For any tunnel out of the convent.
(b) Look at it for tactical defense.
(c) The beautiful art.
(d) Where the nuns might be hidden.
8. With whom is Spain at war during this novel?
9. What happens as the British forces are scrambling over the castle's outer walls?
(a) The defenders shoot at the attackers.
(b) Sharpe blows up the gunpowder around the wall.
(c) A series of mines erupt.
(d) Josefina and Dubreton's wife escape.
10. By what other name besides Josephina is Lady Farthingdale known?
(a) Madame Aphrodite.
(b) Elizabeth Koven.
(c) La Lacosta.
(d) Lady Blythington.
11. Why is Colonel Dubreton at Andrados?
(a) To kill Pot-au-Feu.
(b) To capture Hogan.
(c) To ransom his wife.
(d) To kill Hakeswill.
12. What day is it when Sharpe has secured the convent?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(c) New Year's Day.
13. Where does Sharpe go at the beginning of Chapter 1 to get out of the cold?
(a) Headquarters mess.
(b) The church.
(c) Officers mess.
(d) Enlisted mess.
14. What does Sharpe think of the situation as he watches the action?
(a) It is a draw.
(b) They will win eventually.
(c) If is all right.
(d) It is desperate.
15. What does the army that conquered Andrados do in the town?
(a) Make all the residents leave.
(b) Sack and loot it.
(c) Burn it down.
(d) Kill all the residents.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose is a hole hacked into a basement wall?
2. What nationality is General Nairn?
3. What does Sharpe think as he watches Farthington's preparations?
4. What is the name of General Nairn's valet?
5. What does Sharpe do with the convent?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)