|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sharpe supposed to do with the troops to which he has been assigned?
(a) Take them to the French border.
(b) Drill, parade and train them.
(c) Learn how to use their weapons.
(d) Keep them from killing the British.
2. What are the two leaders of the Andrados force doing when they talk to Sharpe?
(a) Fondling semi-nude women.
(c) Raping young Spanish girls.
(d) Torturing Hogan.
3. What does Pot-au-Feu allow for the hostage women?
(a) Lady Farthingdale is brought out.
(b) Dubreton's wife is brought out.
(c) Nothing is done.
(d) Dubreton is allowed to speak to his wife but can't see her.
4. Where do Pot-au-Feu's forces remain?
(a) Around the convent.
(b) Out of sight in the hills.
(c) In the village.
(d) In the gatehouse.
5. What does Lord Farthingdale do after he assumes command?
(b) Makes poor decisions.
(c) Argues with Sharpe about tactics.
(d) Gets mildly drunk.
6. What does Farthingdale decide to do when the convent is attacked?
(a) Wait and see what Sharpe does.
(b) Go out the tunnel in the basement.
(c) Hide in the basement.
(d) Launch a counterattack.
7. What does Sharpe do with the convent?
(a) Decide to leave it.
(b) He spreads gunpowder around it.
(c) Fortify it for defense.
(d) He doesn't do anything with it.
8. In what direction from the mountain pass is Andrados located?
9. What does Sharpe do with the forces he has at his disposal?
(a) Send some back to the base to get help.
(b) Consolidate them at the convent.
(c) Spread them throughout Andrados.
(d) Drill them in rapid reload.
10. What does Sharpe discover about Hakeswill after the convent is secured?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is in one of the holding cells.
(c) He was never there.
(d) He has escaped.
11. At what location is the Prologue set?
(d) Los Companio.
12. What happens to Sharpe and his companions after they pledge to help each other?
(a) They are surrounded by men of Pot-au-Feu's force.
(b) They are shot at by unknown men.
(c) They are able to locate Hogan.
(d) They are able to find Hakeswil.
13. What kind of evidence is around the town?
(a) Evidence of theft of British army material.
(b) Of destruction of many buildings.
(c) Evidence of starvation and lack of water.
(d) Evidence of murder, torture and mass rape.
14. What happens as the British forces are scrambling over the castle's outer walls?
(a) Josefina and Dubreton's wife escape.
(b) The defenders shoot at the attackers.
(c) A series of mines erupt.
(d) Sharpe blows up the gunpowder around the wall.
15. Who leads the company of mixed rifles going with Sharpe?
(a) Hewellt Galwind.
(b) Paddy O'Brien.
(c) William Frederickson.
(d) Captain Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Spain at war during this novel?
2. What is wrong physically with General Nairn at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Dubreton's wife say to her husband?
4. What begins to arrive after Sharpe and his group have the hostages?
5. Who does Sharpe capture when he first enters Andrados?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)