|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what location does Chapter 1 begin?
(a) Near Castelo Branco.
(b) Near the French border.
(c) On the other side of the mountain pass from Andrados.
(d) In Portugal.
2. What does Josefina say about Lord Farthingdale and her past?
(a) He doesn't know about it.
(b) He knows about it.
(c) She doesn't want him to know about it.
(d) She is planning to tell him.
3. What does General Nairn use to toast his bread?
(a) Fireplace tongs.
(b) A toasting fork.
(c) An iron skillet.
4. What does Nairn decide about Sharpe's information?
(a) It is too little for any kind of judgment.
(b) Sharpe was incompetent.
(c) The women must be rescued.
(d) There is nothing that can be done.
5. What is the first thing Sharpe decides needs to be done in an assault on Andrados?
(a) Blowing up the magazine.
(b) Cutting off the water supply.
(c) Taking out the leaders.
(d) A small force to secure the hostages.
6. Who has sent the troop that Sharpe is told to command?
(a) The Prince of Orange.
(b) King George.
(c) The Prince Regent.
(d) Viscount Wellington.
7. How does Farthingdale feel about Sharpe's inability to bring back Lady Farthingdale?
(a) Sad but understanding.
(b) Vituperative of Sharpe's efforts.
(c) Hostile and angry.
8. What does the rocket battalion have that Sharpe needs?
(d) More men.
9. What does Dubreton's wife say to her husband?
(a) Quotes poetry.
(b) Tells him she loves him.
(c) Nothing she is not allowed to speak.
(d) Tells him she is being raped.
10. Who finally arrives after Josefina speaks to Sharpe?
(a) Michael Hogan.
(b) The rest of the combat troops.
(d) The rocket battalion.
11. What are the two leaders of the Andrados force doing when they talk to Sharpe?
(a) Fondling semi-nude women.
(c) Torturing Hogan.
(d) Raping young Spanish girls.
12. What does Josefina tell Sharpe about Lord Farthingdale and how he feels about her?
(a) He is using her.
(b) He wants to get rid of her.
(c) He disdains her.
(d) He is madly in love with her.
13. What do Sharpe and Harper look at when surveying the convent?
(a) Where the nuns might be hidden.
(b) For any tunnel out of the convent.
(c) The beautiful art.
(d) Look at it for tactical defense.
14. What do the men defending the castle do?
(a) Go into the village.
(b) Attack the convent.
(c) Run away.
(d) Surrender to Sharpe.
15. What does Farthingdale decide to do when the convent is attacked?
(a) Go out the tunnel in the basement.
(b) Launch a counterattack.
(c) Wait and see what Sharpe does.
(d) Hide in the basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is being done to a woman with a hot iron?
2. Where does the army that conquered Andrados go when they finish subduing the town?
3. Why does the Colonel keep Lady Farthingdale safe?
4. In what direction from the mountain pass is Andrados located?
5. What day is it when Sharpe has secured the convent?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)