|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong physically with General Nairn at the beginning of the book?
(a) He has a headache.
(b) He has the flu.
(c) He has a cold.
(d) He has a broken arm.
2. What does Frederickson bring with him when he advances on the convent?
(b) The rocket battalion.
(c) Most of the fighting men.
(d) Two squads of cavalry.
3. Why was the troop Sharpe is now commanding sent there by the person in question #20?
(a) It is his pet project.
(b) He wants them out of the way.
(c) He promised they would when he was drunk.
(d) They are being punished by him.
4. What begins to arrive after Sharpe and his group have the hostages?
(a) The men holding the town.
(b) Some of the nuns from the convent.
(d) Some of the townspeople who were hiding.
5. What is Sharpe supposed to do with the troops to which he has been assigned?
(a) Learn how to use their weapons.
(b) Keep them from killing the British.
(c) Take them to the French border.
(d) Drill, parade and train them.
6. What will the rocket battalion be doing while Sharpe is gone?
(a) They are going with him.
(b) Moving closer to the French border.
(d) Practicing their aim.
7. What does Sharpe do with the convent?
(a) He spreads gunpowder around it.
(b) Fortify it for defense.
(c) He doesn't do anything with it.
(d) Decide to leave it.
8. What does Sharpe discover about Hakeswill after the convent is secured?
(a) He is in one of the holding cells.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He has escaped.
(d) He was never there.
9. What does Nairn tell Sharpe at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) That sergeant Hakeswill is in the area.
(b) That Hogan has been taken capture.
(c) About the capture of Andrados.
(d) That his brother has been killed.
10. What does Sharpe do with the forces he has at his disposal?
(a) Drill them in rapid reload.
(b) Spread them throughout Andrados.
(c) Send some back to the base to get help.
(d) Consolidate them at the convent.
11. What does Nairn decide about Sharpe's information?
(a) The women must be rescued.
(b) It is too little for any kind of judgment.
(c) Sharpe was incompetent.
(d) There is nothing that can be done.
12. What does Farthingdale do when the attacking forces withdraw?
(a) Cautiously encircles the castle.
(b) Withdraws back to the convent.
(d) Orders the troops to pursue.
13. Who is the head of the army which subdues Andrados?
(a) Charles de la Fetelels.
(c) Phillip de Phillipe.
(d) General Rodriquez.
14. Where are the English troops heading in the Prologue?
(a) Towards an invasion of France.
(b) Towards England.
(c) Towards Portugal.
(d) Towards Madrid.
15. What does Sharpe urge to Farthingdale?
(a) To stay in the proximity of the convent.
(b) To attack the castle.
(d) Caution and restraint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Lady Farthingdale come to Andrados?
2. What does Pot-au-Feu allow for the hostage women?
3. At what location does Chapter 1 begin?
4. Who leads the company of mixed rifles going with Sharpe?
5. What do Sharpe and Harper look at when surveying the convent?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)