Prologue and Chapters 1 and 2
• The prologue is set in the Spanish village of Andrados during December of 1812.
• Spain and France are at war and France occupies a great deal of Spain, the rest occupied by the British.
• Andrados is captured by a motley assortment of deserters of various nationalities.
• Some British soldiers have come to Andrados accompanying a woman to the convent.
• The English are taken by surprise, killed by the ragtag army and the town is sacked and looted.
• Lady Farthingdale is spared rape by the second in command to be used as a hostage.
• Chapter 1 begins in the Spanish countryside near Castelo Branco.
• Sharpe is summoned before Nairn who informs him he has been promoted to major.
• Sharpe is put in charge of an artillery unit which Nairn feels is using a foolish innovation.
• Sharpe is to train the artillery troop and prepare them for any...
This section contains 1,546 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)