|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harper go to the river in this section?
2. What does Harper say to start the British charge?
3. For what have the troops exchanged their ammunition?
4. What kind of noise interrupts Sharpe's conversation?
5. What does Josephina claim the two men have tried to do to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sharpe think the French will not attack them in Chapter Six?
2. How is Sharpe's peace ruined in this section?
3. Describe the battle in Chapter Seven.
4. What does the reader learn about Harper in this section?
5. How do things improve for Sharpe and his men at the end of Chapter Nine?
6. How is Sharpe's evening disrupted in Chapter Twelve?
7. What problems has Simmerson caused Sharpe in this section?
8. How do the South Essex and Spanish troops unnecessarily start a fight in this section?
9. How is Harper treating Sharpe's leg at the beginning of the novel?
10. How does Sharpe meet Lieutenant Gibbons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Harper such an important member of Sharpe's regiment? What evidence is there to suggest that Sharpe would never be able to cope without Harper at his side?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Simmerson buying his rank cause the army in general? How does the army try to safeguard such people?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)