|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Forrest say he once suppressed in Chelmsford?
2. Wellesey is wise in the ways of what?
3. Simmerson tells Sharpe he comes from where?
4. What does Lieutenant Gibbons ask Sharpe to surrender to him?
5. What does Lawford tell Sharpe that he really must buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is capturing the French Eagle so important to Sharpe's career?
2. How does Henry Simmerson treat his men?
3. Why does Sharpe think Gibbons must want revenge?
4. How do the South Essex and Spanish troops unnecessarily start a fight in this section?
5. Why does Sharpe think the French will not attack them in Chapter Six?
6. Why does Sharpe wish the deserters had not been so honest?
7. How is Sharpe's evening disrupted in Chapter Twelve?
8. How do things improve for Sharpe and his men at the end of Chapter Nine?
9. How is Sharpe's peace ruined in this section?
10. What are Lennox's thought before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Sharpe's views on flogging and punishment in general? How do his views differ from Simmerson's?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters'? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)