|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does one of the soldiers say he deserted?
(a) To go home.
(b) To get drunk.
(c) To join the Spanish.
(d) To join the French.
2. Who does Sharpe see running out of the building?
3. Why does Sharpe think he can never have Josephina?
(a) He cannot help her escape.
(b) He is too common.
(c) He does not have the financial means.
(d) She does not love him.
4. How is Gibbons related to Simmerson?
(a) His son-in-law.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His nephew.
(d) His son.
5. What is Lawford's rank in the army?
(b) General Major.
(c) Lieutenant Colonel.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does the author say Josephina is running away?
2. What do Sharpe and his men capture from the French in Chapter Nine?
3. Who tells Sharpe he will ruin his career?
4. With whom is Sharpe looking forward to spending the night in Chapter Twelve?
5. What does Sharpe say will happen to anyone who breaks rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do things improve for Sharpe and his men at the end of Chapter Nine?
2. What are Lennox's thought before he dies?
3. How is Harper treating Sharpe's leg at the beginning of the novel?
4. Describe the battle in Chapter Seven.
5. How does Sharpe meet Lieutenant Gibbons?
6. How is Sharpe's peace ruined in this section?
7. How does Sharpe know Lieutenant Colonel William Lawson?
8. How do the South Essex and Spanish troops unnecessarily start a fight in this section?
9. How does Wellesley help Sharpe in this section?
10. Why does Sharpe find it difficult to arrest the deserters?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)