|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men in the ditch shout as they join Sharpe in the assault?
(a) Napoleon's name.
(b) His name.
(c) The queen's name.
2. What does Windham do to Harper?
(a) Sentences him to a flogging.
(b) Throws him to the French.
(c) Has him beaten and court martialed.
(d) Puts him in chains.
3. What are emplaced against two of the bastions?
(a) Scaling ladders.
(c) Siege cannons.
(d) Buttress cannons.
4. With what type of gun does Harper think Sharpe was shot?
(a) An old muskrat.
(b) The seven-barrel gun.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A rifle.
5. What attacks the protecting fortress while another force attacks the dam in Chapter 18?
(a) A large diversionary force.
(b) A squad of sappers.
(c) No one attacks the fortress.
(d) Fifteen heavy cavalry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the walls of Badajoz reinforced?
2. What does Sharpe say when Hogan tells him of the plan for assaulting the dam?
3. Where is Teresa's family's house located in Badajoz?
4. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
5. What does Hakeswill spend his time thinking about during the assault preparations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed in Sharpe's humiliation of Hakeswill?
2. Why do the British delay the assault one more day in Chapter 23?
3. What does Windham do to Harper and what do Harper and Sharpe talk about before the event?
4. How is Badajoz finally taken?
5. Why does Windham realize he made a mistake and what does he do to mitigate it?
6. What does Rymer do when the French mount a sortie while Sharpe is watching the digging? What are the French trying to do and what is the British response? What does Sharpe do?
7. What does Rymer say about his blotched mission, what does he decide to do and what does Sharpe do in response?
8. What happens to Sharpe as he retreats from the dam?
9. At first, what does Sharpe do while the British are dealing with the Rivillas Stream?
10. Describe the fortifications of Badajoz.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)