|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wellington believe he must take Badajoz immediately?
(a) The French begin to march on Ciudad Rodrigo.
(b) The Spanish are marching to Badajoz.
(c) Winter is coming.
(d) The French are marching towards the English Chanel.
2. Who is selected for the assault on the dam?
(a) Hakeswill's platoon.
(b) Sharpe's old company.
(c) The fifth cavalry.
(d) Somerset's marines.
3. What happens when Sharpe goes forward to watch the digging in Chapter 12?
(a) He finds Harper.
(b) A French sortie comes out.
(c) A wall collapses.
(d) Two men jump him.
4. What does Knowles intend to do with his orders?
(a) Pretend to be fighting.
(c) Pretend to want to scale the citadel.
(d) Actually carry out the assault.
5. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
(a) To question the prisoners.
(b) To make detailed plans.
(c) To shift the army.
(d) To promote Sharpe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharpe do when he gets to his old company?
2. What is Sharpe's assignment at the beginning of the assault on Badajoz?
3. What has been stolen of Windham's?
4. What does Windham realize as he watches the maneuvers at the dam?
5. What does Wellington decide as the assault falters in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sharpe doing at the beginning of the assault on Badajoz?
2. Why does Windham realize he made a mistake and what does he do to mitigate it?
3. What does Sharpe say when Hogan informs him of the plan for the dam and what is the plan?
4. Where is the British forces camped in relation to Badajoz and what do Sharpe and Harper think will be the only way to assault the city?
5. What does Sharpe find when he returns to the baggage train, why is Windham angry and what is the conclusion about the incident?
6. What does Rymer do when the French mount a sortie while Sharpe is watching the digging? What are the French trying to do and what is the British response? What does Sharpe do?
7. How are the French able to kill so many of the British, what does that cause and how does Sharpe feel as he watches?
8. Why do the British delay the assault one more day in Chapter 23?
9. Where does Teresa's family live in Badajoz?
10. Describe the fortifications of Badajoz.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)