|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of position does Sharpe's company assume?
(a) On the scaling ladders.
(b) Reserve on the hill.
(c) Forward behind the forlorn hope.
2. Where are the French guns located by the breach?
(a) To the left side.
(b) Near the ends of the breach.
(c) Right in the middle of it.
(d) They are turned in the opposite direction.
3. What does Sharpe see as he wanders Ciudad Rodrigo that the British soldiers are doing?
(a) Mass rape and pillage.
(b) Burning houses.
(c) Handing out food to the residents.
(d) Killing children.
4. What do Hogan and Sharpe discuss as they ride to Badajoz?
(c) The French military.
(d) Strategy and tactics.
5. When did Hakeswill join the army?
(a) When he was drafted.
(b) When he was young.
(c) When a judge ordered him to join.
(d) When he was middle aged.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much effort is needed for the forlorn hope to reach the base of the breach?
2. As the British are marching to Badajoz what slows their progress?
3. What do Colonel Lawford and Sharpe discuss in Chapter 2?
4. Against what does Sharpe lead his men?
5. Why are Sharpe and Harper happy about what their company will be doing in the siege of Ciudad Rodrigo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Badajoz be difficult to capture? Has anyone ever tried to capture it?
2. What do Sharpe and Hogan discuss when they see each other in Chapter 1?
3. Why is Sharpe worried following the siege of Ciudad Rodrigo in Chapter 5?
4. What siege does Sharpe participate in at the beginning of Chapter 1 and how does he pass his time when not fighting?
5. How does the assault on Ciudad Rodrigo seem to the British at first?
6. What happens to Sharpe's and Teresa's relationship when the army leaves for Badajoz? Where will Teresa be staying in Badajoz? Upon what is she counting on from Sharpe?
7. What is Sharpe's rank in Chapter 1 and what is the ambiguity surrounding his rank?
8. What kind of obstacle does the River Guadiana pose for the British and how do they surmount it?
9. What guerrilla rider approaches Sharpe and what does she tell him? What does she look like?
10. Who reports to Sharpe when reinforcements arrive for the battalion, what mistake does he make and what does he do after he is corrected?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)