|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rymer do when the French attack in Chapter 13?
(a) Sends his men in the wrong direction.
(b) Sets up a reasonable defense.
(d) Goes on the offense.
2. What does Knowles intend to do with his orders?
(a) Actually carry out the assault.
(c) Pretend to want to scale the citadel.
(d) Pretend to be fighting.
3. Where does Sharpe lead his men?
(a) Near the breach on the right.
(b) Near the breach on the left.
(c) To the new center breach.
(d) To the back of the hills.
4. What action by Rymer does Sharpe stop after the dam mission?
(a) Folding the green coats into the company.
(b) Killing Hakeswill.
(c) Demoting Harper.
(d) Blaming Sharpe for the failure of the mission.
5. What is the force going to the dam supposed to do?
(a) Kill the company guarding the dam.
(b) Unleash the gates.
(c) Dig through the dike.
(d) Set explosive charges.
6. Where are six external fortresses placed in Badajoz?
(a) Around the center of the city.
(b) Around the city at strategic points.
(c) Near the eastern edge.
(d) Near the western gates.
7. How do the assembled men feel about Harper's punishment?
8. What is in the very center of Badajoz?
(a) Six fortresses.
(b) A statue of Napoleon.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) A huge cathedral.
9. What are emplaced against two of the bastions?
(a) Siege cannons.
(c) Scaling ladders.
(d) Buttress cannons.
10. Why does Wellington launch two suicidal attacks?
(a) To pin down the French defenders.
(b) To kill off some undesirables.
(c) To make the French know he is serious.
(d) To take the citadel.
11. Who captures one of the bastions?
(a) A British assault force.
(b) Sharpe's company.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) No one.
12. Where is Sharpe assigned following the mission at the dam?
(a) He stays with Windham.
(b) The baggage train.
(c) Hakeswill's squad.
(d) Hogan's command.
13. What is Sharpe's assignment at the beginning of the assault on Badajoz?
(a) Throwing hay into the ditch.
(b) Scaling the northern tower.
(c) Running errands for Windham.
(d) Guiding forward units into their assault position.
14. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
(a) Company commander.
(b) Windham's aide-de-camp.
(c) Assult captain.
(d) Artillery officer.
15. What guards the dam across the Rivillas Stream?
(a) A large fortress.
(b) French cavalry.
(c) A line of artillery.
(d) A mined moat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharpe do after setting the charges?
2. What attacks the protecting fortress while another force attacks the dam in Chapter 18?
3. Where is Teresa's family's house located in Badajoz?
4. What do the British decide they must do with the flooded plain?
5. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)