|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are emplaced against two of the bastions?
(a) Scaling ladders.
(c) Buttress cannons.
(d) Siege cannons.
2. About what is Sharpe questioned at the war council?
(a) Where the French are located.
(b) How to scale the northern wall.
(c) Why the attack on the dam failed.
(d) His judgment on the breaches.
3. What do the British do when the weather clears in Chapter 17?
(a) Set up a dry camp.
(b) Begin digging again.
(c) Assault the walls.
(d) Clean their gear.
4. What has been stolen of Windham's?
(a) His sword.
(b) His spare uniform.
(c) His spare boots.
(d) The portrait of his wife.
5. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
(a) Company commander.
(b) Windham's aide-de-camp.
(c) Artillery officer.
(d) Assult captain.
6. Where do Sharpe and his men assemble prior to their assault?
(a) By the wall to the left of the breach.
(b) In the ditch.
(c) In front of the breach.
(d) On the hill.
7. Where are six external fortresses placed in Badajoz?
(a) Near the western gates.
(b) Around the city at strategic points.
(c) Around the center of the city.
(d) Near the eastern edge.
8. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
(a) To make detailed plans.
(b) To question the prisoners.
(c) To promote Sharpe.
(d) To shift the army.
9. What does Windham realize about punishing Harper?
(a) It was the right thing to do.
(b) It got the men ready for battle.
(c) It should have been done in private.
(d) It was a mistake.
10. How does the British mount an attack on the dam?
(a) From the hills on the east side.
(b) Through the flooded plain.
(c) Across the Rivillas Stream.
(d) Down the River Guadiana.
11. Who captures one of the bastions?
(a) No one.
(b) A British assault force.
(c) Sharpe's company.
(d) The Spanish.
12. What type of action is Knowles leading?
(a) A flanking action.
(b) An assault on a breach.
(c) A diversionary one.
(d) A cavalry action.
13. How do the assembled men feel about Harper's punishment?
14. Where is Badajoz located?
(a) The northern part of France.
(b) Near the center of Portugal.
(c) The southern roadway from Portugal to Spain.
(d) On the Turkey peninsula.
15. What is Sharpe's assignment at the beginning of the assault on Badajoz?
(a) Running errands for Windham.
(b) Guiding forward units into their assault position.
(c) Throwing hay into the ditch.
(d) Scaling the northern tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the first assault wave to falter in Chapter 24?
2. What guards the dam across the Rivillas Stream?
3. What does Hakeswill confiscate of Harper's?
4. What does Sharpe find when he returns to the baggage area?
5. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)