|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the first assault wave to falter in Chapter 24?
(a) The French cavalry.
(b) The breach being filled by the French.
(c) Heavy rain coming down.
(d) The huge number of casualties.
2. Where is Teresa's family's house located in Badajoz?
(a) At the center of the city.
(b) On the eastern edge.
(c) Near the governor's mansion.
(d) Near the northern wall.
3. What do the British forces begin to do when they arrive at Badajoz?
(a) Digging parallels and approaches.
(b) Digging under the southern wall.
(c) Setting up a fire line.
(d) Setting up catapults.
4. About what is Sharpe questioned at the war council?
(a) His judgment on the breaches.
(b) How to scale the northern wall.
(c) Where the French are located.
(d) Why the attack on the dam failed.
5. Why was the Rivillas Stream dammed?
(a) To provide drinking water for the city.
(b) To flood an expanse east of the city.
(c) To water the crops on the west side.
(d) To make rice paddies.
6. What action by Rymer does Sharpe stop after the dam mission?
(a) Blaming Sharpe for the failure of the mission.
(b) Folding the green coats into the company.
(c) Killing Hakeswill.
(d) Demoting Harper.
7. Where is Sharpe assigned following the mission at the dam?
(a) Hakeswill's squad.
(b) Hogan's command.
(c) The baggage train.
(d) He stays with Windham.
8. What does Sharpe do when he gets to his old company?
(a) Rallies the men.
(b) Slaps Rymer to get him moving.
(c) Finds Harper.
(d) Finds Hakeswill.
9. How do the assembled men feel about Harper's punishment?
10. What happens when Sharpe goes forward to watch the digging in Chapter 12?
(a) He finds Harper.
(b) A wall collapses.
(c) Two men jump him.
(d) A French sortie comes out.
11. What does Sharpe do when he reaches the dam?
(a) Yells at Rymer.
(b) Slaps Rymer to snap him out of his problems.
(c) Takes charge of the company.
(d) Tells his men to retreat.
12. What type of action is Knowles leading?
(a) A flanking action.
(b) A diversionary one.
(c) An assault on a breach.
(d) A cavalry action.
13. How does Knowles base his conduct during the assault?
(a) He is creative and sends his men to strange places.
(b) He's a by the book officer.
(c) On what he believes Sharpe would do.
(d) On what is the most honorable thing to do.
14. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
(a) Artillery officer.
(b) Company commander.
(c) Assult captain.
(d) Windham's aide-de-camp.
15. What is the force going to the dam supposed to do?
(a) Dig through the dike.
(b) Kill the company guarding the dam.
(c) Unleash the gates.
(d) Set explosive charges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Sharpe and Harper concerned about Teresa?
2. What is in the very center of Badajoz?
3. What guards the dam across the Rivillas Stream?
4. What fills the ditch?
5. With what are the men Sharpe leads into the battle with the French armed?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)