|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sharpe conclude after seeing the ball from his leg?
(a) He was shot by an English rifle.
(b) He was shot by Hakeswill.
(c) He was shot by the French.
(d) He was shot by the Spanish.
2. How do the assembled men feel about Harper's punishment?
3. Why does Windham dispatch Sharpe to the dam?
(a) To take dry powder to the dam.
(b) To help ward off some of the defenders.
(c) To find out what's going on with the demolition team.
(d) To be near when the dam blows.
4. What action by Rymer does Sharpe stop after the dam mission?
(a) Demoting Harper.
(b) Folding the green coats into the company.
(c) Blaming Sharpe for the failure of the mission.
(d) Killing Hakeswill.
5. Why is Sharpe summoned to his old company?
(a) Hakeswill has disappeared.
(b) Harper has been injured.
(c) Rymer has been killed.
(d) Rymer has frozen up.
6. Where is Badajoz located?
(a) Near the center of Portugal.
(b) On the Turkey peninsula.
(c) The southern roadway from Portugal to Spain.
(d) The northern part of France.
7. What does Windham do to Harper?
(a) Puts him in chains.
(b) Sentences him to a flogging.
(c) Has him beaten and court martialed.
(d) Throws him to the French.
8. How are the walls of Badajoz reinforced?
(a) With steel girders.
(b) With ravelins and a glacis.
(c) With a wooden stockade.
(d) With concrete pilings.
9. What causes the first assault wave to falter in Chapter 24?
(a) The French cavalry.
(b) The huge number of casualties.
(c) The breach being filled by the French.
(d) Heavy rain coming down.
10. Why might there be massive British casualties when assaulting Badajoz?
(a) There is so much artillery.
(b) There is no way to breach the walls.
(c) The French have excellent rifle companies on the walls.
(d) The only approach is channeled, dense and predictable.
11. What does Harper find for Sharpe?
(a) A stretcher.
(b) A field dressing.
(c) A nurse.
(d) Medical assistance.
12. Why does Wellington believe he must take Badajoz immediately?
(a) The French are marching towards the English Chanel.
(b) The Spanish are marching to Badajoz.
(c) The French begin to march on Ciudad Rodrigo.
(d) Winter is coming.
13. What does Sharpe say when Hogan tells him of the plan for assaulting the dam?
(a) He doesn't have an opinion.
(b) It will work great.
(c) The plan is too complicated.
(d) It is too simple.
14. With what type of gun does Harper think Sharpe was shot?
(a) The seven-barrel gun.
(b) An old muskrat.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A rifle.
15. What does Sharpe do after setting the charges?
(a) He returns to Windham.
(b) He pushes on to the fortress.
(c) He hides in the boulders near the dam.
(d) He retreats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Sharpe and Harper concerned about Teresa?
2. What is Sharpe's assignment at the beginning of the assault on Badajoz?
3. What does Windham realize as he watches the maneuvers at the dam?
4. What does Knowles intend to do with his orders?
5. What do the men in the ditch shout as they join Sharpe in the assault?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)