|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sharpe order the men to do when the French attack?
(a) Sends them into the middle of the French.
(b) Orders them back.
(c) Has them make a stand in the ditch.
2. What guards the dam across the Rivillas Stream?
(a) A large fortress.
(b) A line of artillery.
(c) A mined moat.
(d) French cavalry.
3. What does Windham do to Harper?
(a) Sentences him to a flogging.
(b) Puts him in chains.
(c) Throws him to the French.
(d) Has him beaten and court martialed.
4. How does Knowles base his conduct during the assault?
(a) He is creative and sends his men to strange places.
(b) On what he believes Sharpe would do.
(c) He's a by the book officer.
(d) On what is the most honorable thing to do.
5. How is the entire first forlorn hope killed?
(a) A massive mine explodes.
(b) A wall falls on them.
(c) They are mowed down with cannon fire.
(d) The French shoot all of them.
6. What does Sharpe say when Hogan tells him of the plan for assaulting the dam?
(a) It is too simple.
(b) The plan is too complicated.
(c) He doesn't have an opinion.
(d) It will work great.
7. What does Windham realize about punishing Harper?
(a) It got the men ready for battle.
(b) It should have been done in private.
(c) It was the right thing to do.
(d) It was a mistake.
8. About what is Sharpe questioned at the war council?
(a) Why the attack on the dam failed.
(b) His judgment on the breaches.
(c) Where the French are located.
(d) How to scale the northern wall.
9. For what does Sharpe ask permission?
(a) To return to his company.
(b) To promote Harper.
(c) To command the reserve company.
(d) To lead the forlorn hope.
10. What do the French do when the British attack?
(b) Breaks up the ditches the British have dug.
(c) Turn on them.
(d) Pushes them into a mined area.
11. Where are six external fortresses placed in Badajoz?
(a) Near the western gates.
(b) Near the eastern edge.
(c) Around the city at strategic points.
(d) Around the center of the city.
12. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
(a) Company commander.
(b) Artillery officer.
(c) Windham's aide-de-camp.
(d) Assult captain.
13. Who does Sharpe suspect of stealing?
14. What is Sharpe's assignment at the beginning of the assault on Badajoz?
(a) Throwing hay into the ditch.
(b) Scaling the northern tower.
(c) Guiding forward units into their assault position.
(d) Running errands for Windham.
15. What does Windham realize as he watches the maneuvers at the dam?
(a) There are more defenders than thought.
(b) It is too wet for the charges to go off.
(c) The demolition team has botched its job.
(d) The dam will blow any minute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks the protecting fortress while another force attacks the dam in Chapter 18?
2. What action by Rymer does Sharpe stop after the dam mission?
3. What does Sharpe do when he gets to his old company?
4. Where do Sharpe and his men assemble prior to their assault?
5. Why does Wellington launch two suicidal attacks?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)