|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the first assault wave to falter in Chapter 24?
(a) The French cavalry.
(b) Heavy rain coming down.
(c) The breach being filled by the French.
(d) The huge number of casualties.
2. What action by Rymer does Sharpe stop after the dam mission?
(a) Killing Hakeswill.
(b) Demoting Harper.
(c) Folding the green coats into the company.
(d) Blaming Sharpe for the failure of the mission.
3. What makes the British tasks more difficult?
(a) The thick trees.
(b) The French running sorties.
(c) Constant rain and thick mud.
(d) Rocky ground.
4. What does Windham realize about punishing Harper?
(a) It was the right thing to do.
(b) It was a mistake.
(c) It should have been done in private.
(d) It got the men ready for battle.
5. How do the assembled men feel about Harper's punishment?
6. What do the British do when the weather clears in Chapter 17?
(a) Clean their gear.
(b) Set up a dry camp.
(c) Assault the walls.
(d) Begin digging again.
7. For what does Sharpe ask permission?
(a) To lead the forlorn hope.
(b) To promote Harper.
(c) To return to his company.
(d) To command the reserve company.
8. What does Windham realize as he watches the maneuvers at the dam?
(a) The dam will blow any minute.
(b) The demolition team has botched its job.
(c) It is too wet for the charges to go off.
(d) There are more defenders than thought.
9. What does Sharpe say when Hogan tells him of the plan for assaulting the dam?
(a) The plan is too complicated.
(b) It will work great.
(c) It is too simple.
(d) He doesn't have an opinion.
10. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
(a) The Mediterranean Sea.
(b) The River Guadiana and the Rivillas Stream.
(c) A swamp.
(d) A heavy forest.
11. How do the two diversionary attacks end up?
(a) They are half successful.
(b) They are all killed.
(c) As failures.
12. What do the walls of Badajoz have on them?
(a) Jagged rocks.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) Iron pikes.
13. Why was the Rivillas Stream dammed?
(a) To provide drinking water for the city.
(b) To water the crops on the west side.
(c) To make rice paddies.
(d) To flood an expanse east of the city.
14. What do the French do when the British attack?
(a) Breaks up the ditches the British have dug.
(c) Turn on them.
(d) Pushes them into a mined area.
15. Where is Teresa's family's house located in Badajoz?
(a) On the eastern edge.
(b) Near the governor's mansion.
(c) Near the northern wall.
(d) At the center of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fills the ditch?
2. Where is Sharpe assigned following the mission at the dam?
3. What does Sharpe do after setting the charges?
4. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
5. What type of action is Knowles leading?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)