|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wellington launch two suicidal attacks?
(a) To pin down the French defenders.
(b) To take the citadel.
(c) To make the French know he is serious.
(d) To kill off some undesirables.
2. About what is Sharpe questioned at the war council?
(a) Where the French are located.
(b) His judgment on the breaches.
(c) How to scale the northern wall.
(d) Why the attack on the dam failed.
3. How does Knowles base his conduct during the assault?
(a) On what he believes Sharpe would do.
(b) He is creative and sends his men to strange places.
(c) On what is the most honorable thing to do.
(d) He's a by the book officer.
4. How is the entire first forlorn hope killed?
(a) They are mowed down with cannon fire.
(b) A wall falls on them.
(c) A massive mine explodes.
(d) The French shoot all of them.
5. How does the British mount an attack on the dam?
(a) Across the Rivillas Stream.
(b) From the hills on the east side.
(c) Through the flooded plain.
(d) Down the River Guadiana.
6. What do the British learn in Chapter 23 that makes them delay the assault for a day?
(a) The Spanish are coming to help.
(b) Rain coming that night.
(c) A company of sappers is on their way.
(d) A weak spot in the curtain wall.
7. Where do Sharpe and his men assemble prior to their assault?
(a) On the hill.
(b) By the wall to the left of the breach.
(c) In front of the breach.
(d) In the ditch.
8. Why was the Rivillas Stream dammed?
(a) To provide drinking water for the city.
(b) To make rice paddies.
(c) To flood an expanse east of the city.
(d) To water the crops on the west side.
9. What is the force going to the dam supposed to do?
(a) Dig through the dike.
(b) Kill the company guarding the dam.
(c) Unleash the gates.
(d) Set explosive charges.
10. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
(a) The River Guadiana and the Rivillas Stream.
(b) The Mediterranean Sea.
(c) A swamp.
(d) A heavy forest.
11. Why is Sharpe summoned to his old company?
(a) Harper has been injured.
(b) Hakeswill has disappeared.
(c) Rymer has frozen up.
(d) Rymer has been killed.
12. Where is Teresa's family's house located in Badajoz?
(a) Near the governor's mansion.
(b) On the eastern edge.
(c) Near the northern wall.
(d) At the center of the city.
13. How are the walls of Badajoz reinforced?
(a) With ravelins and a glacis.
(b) With concrete pilings.
(c) With steel girders.
(d) With a wooden stockade.
14. What do the walls of Badajoz have on them?
(a) Jagged rocks.
(b) Iron pikes.
(d) Barbed wire.
15. What does Harper find for Sharpe?
(a) Medical assistance.
(b) A stretcher.
(c) A field dressing.
(d) A nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharpe order the men to do when the French attack?
2. What has Sharpe been doing under Hogan's command?
3. What does Sharpe do when he reaches the dam?
4. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
5. Where is Sharpe assigned following the mission at the dam?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)