|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
(a) A heavy forest.
(b) The Mediterranean Sea.
(c) A swamp.
(d) The River Guadiana and the Rivillas Stream.
2. Where do Sharpe and his men assemble prior to their assault?
(a) By the wall to the left of the breach.
(b) In the ditch.
(c) In front of the breach.
(d) On the hill.
3. What do the British do with the captured bastion?
(a) Put in more catpults.
(b) Set up more buttress cannons.
(c) Set up more scaling ladders.
(d) Set up more siege cannons.
4. What does Wellington decide as the assault falters in Chapter 24?
(a) To retreat and start again the next day.
(b) To pull out.
(c) To commit his final reserves.
(d) To lead the assault himself.
5. About what is Sharpe questioned at the war council?
(a) His judgment on the breaches.
(b) Why the attack on the dam failed.
(c) Where the French are located.
(d) How to scale the northern wall.
6. What does Windham do to Harper?
(a) Sentences him to a flogging.
(b) Has him beaten and court martialed.
(c) Puts him in chains.
(d) Throws him to the French.
7. Why does Wellington launch two suicidal attacks?
(a) To pin down the French defenders.
(b) To take the citadel.
(c) To kill off some undesirables.
(d) To make the French know he is serious.
8. What attacks the protecting fortress while another force attacks the dam in Chapter 18?
(a) Fifteen heavy cavalry.
(b) No one attacks the fortress.
(c) A large diversionary force.
(d) A squad of sappers.
9. What has been stolen of Windham's?
(a) His spare uniform.
(b) His spare boots.
(c) His sword.
(d) The portrait of his wife.
10. What happens when the charges blow at the dam?
(a) The dam blows up.
(b) A small crack appears in the dam.
(c) Nothing, it was enough explosives.
(d) Half the dam is taken away.
11. Why might there be massive British casualties when assaulting Badajoz?
(a) There is so much artillery.
(b) The only approach is channeled, dense and predictable.
(c) The French have excellent rifle companies on the walls.
(d) There is no way to breach the walls.
12. What do the walls of Badajoz have on them?
(b) Barbed wire.
(c) Jagged rocks.
(d) Iron pikes.
13. How does the British mount an attack on the dam?
(a) Down the River Guadiana.
(b) From the hills on the east side.
(c) Across the Rivillas Stream.
(d) Through the flooded plain.
14. What do the British do when the weather clears in Chapter 17?
(a) Assault the walls.
(b) Begin digging again.
(c) Clean their gear.
(d) Set up a dry camp.
15. Why does Windham dispatch Sharpe to the dam?
(a) To help ward off some of the defenders.
(b) To find out what's going on with the demolition team.
(c) To take dry powder to the dam.
(d) To be near when the dam blows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knowles intend to do with his orders?
2. What does Sharpe find when he returns to the baggage area?
3. What is one of the most deadly setups the French have?
4. What does Hakeswill confiscate of Harper's?
5. With what are the men Sharpe leads into the battle with the French armed?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)