|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the British mount an attack on the dam?
(a) Down the River Guadiana.
(b) Through the flooded plain.
(c) Across the Rivillas Stream.
(d) From the hills on the east side.
2. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
(a) To promote Sharpe.
(b) To make detailed plans.
(c) To question the prisoners.
(d) To shift the army.
3. What do the British forces begin to do when they arrive at Badajoz?
(a) Setting up catapults.
(b) Setting up a fire line.
(c) Digging under the southern wall.
(d) Digging parallels and approaches.
4. Why does Windham dispatch Sharpe to the dam?
(a) To find out what's going on with the demolition team.
(b) To take dry powder to the dam.
(c) To help ward off some of the defenders.
(d) To be near when the dam blows.
5. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
(a) A swamp.
(b) The River Guadiana and the Rivillas Stream.
(c) A heavy forest.
(d) The Mediterranean Sea.
6. Why is Sharpe summoned to his old company?
(a) Harper has been injured.
(b) Rymer has been killed.
(c) Hakeswill has disappeared.
(d) Rymer has frozen up.
7. What does Sharpe find when he returns to the baggage area?
(a) Someone has broken into some of the packs.
(b) Two packs are missing.
(c) The mules' paniers are strewed about the ground.
(d) Harper is drunk.
8. What is one of the most deadly setups the French have?
(a) The mines in the ditch.
(b) The arrow loops in the wall.
(c) The French defensive interlocking fire.
(d) The long range artillery.
9. What has Sharpe been doing under Hogan's command?
(a) As an aide-de-camp.
(b) Working as a scout.
(c) Commanding a company.
(d) As a tactics adviser.
10. What causes the first assault wave to falter in Chapter 24?
(a) The breach being filled by the French.
(b) The huge number of casualties.
(c) The French cavalry.
(d) Heavy rain coming down.
11. Why are the men of Sharpe's old company not doing their job?
(a) Rymer forgot the plan.
(b) They are finished with their part of the operation.
(c) Rymer is too indecisive.
(d) They have killed all the defenders.
12. What does Windham do to Harper?
(a) Puts him in chains.
(b) Throws him to the French.
(c) Has him beaten and court martialed.
(d) Sentences him to a flogging.
13. What type of action is Knowles leading?
(a) A cavalry action.
(b) A flanking action.
(c) An assault on a breach.
(d) A diversionary one.
14. Why are Sharpe and Harper concerned about Teresa?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she won't be safe during the battle.
(c) That she is held a prisoner.
(d) That Hakeswill wants to kill her.
15. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
(a) Artillery officer.
(b) Company commander.
(c) Assult captain.
(d) Windham's aide-de-camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what are the men Sharpe leads into the battle with the French armed?
2. What does Rymer do when the French attack in Chapter 13?
3. What does Sharpe conclude after seeing the ball from his leg?
4. For what does Sharpe ask permission?
5. What do the British do with the captured bastion?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)