|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Sharpe been doing under Hogan's command?
(a) Commanding a company.
(b) Working as a scout.
(c) As a tactics adviser.
(d) As an aide-de-camp.
2. What has been stolen of Windham's?
(a) His spare boots.
(b) The portrait of his wife.
(c) His spare uniform.
(d) His sword.
3. Why does Wellington believe he must take Badajoz immediately?
(a) The French are marching towards the English Chanel.
(b) The Spanish are marching to Badajoz.
(c) The French begin to march on Ciudad Rodrigo.
(d) Winter is coming.
4. What does Hakeswill begin to do that makes him appear insane?
(a) Crawling on his belly for no reason.
(b) Staring into his shako and speaking to it.
(c) Jerking his arms for no apparent reason.
(d) Talking to the animals.
5. What do the British do when the weather clears in Chapter 17?
(a) Clean their gear.
(b) Begin digging again.
(c) Assault the walls.
(d) Set up a dry camp.
6. Why are Sharpe and Harper concerned about Teresa?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she won't be safe during the battle.
(c) That she is held a prisoner.
(d) That Hakeswill wants to kill her.
7. What are emplaced against two of the bastions?
(b) Siege cannons.
(c) Buttress cannons.
(d) Scaling ladders.
8. How does Knowles base his conduct during the assault?
(a) On what is the most honorable thing to do.
(b) He is creative and sends his men to strange places.
(c) He's a by the book officer.
(d) On what he believes Sharpe would do.
9. What action by Rymer does Sharpe stop after the dam mission?
(a) Demoting Harper.
(b) Folding the green coats into the company.
(c) Killing Hakeswill.
(d) Blaming Sharpe for the failure of the mission.
10. What fills the ditch?
(a) Dead bodies.
(b) Muskrat balls.
11. What do the British decide they must do with the flooded plain?
(a) Float across it on rafts.
(c) Avoid it.
(d) Drain it.
12. What does Hakeswill confiscate of Harper's?
(a) His bayonet.
(b) His seven-barrel gun.
(c) His horse.
(d) His rifle.
13. Why does Wellington launch two suicidal attacks?
(a) To make the French know he is serious.
(b) To pin down the French defenders.
(c) To take the citadel.
(d) To kill off some undesirables.
14. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
(a) To shift the army.
(b) To promote Sharpe.
(c) To question the prisoners.
(d) To make detailed plans.
15. Why are the men of Sharpe's old company not doing their job?
(a) They are finished with their part of the operation.
(b) They have killed all the defenders.
(c) Rymer is too indecisive.
(d) Rymer forgot the plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of action is Knowles leading?
2. About what is Sharpe questioned at the war council?
3. What happens when the charges blow at the dam?
4. What is in the very center of Badajoz?
5. What do the British learn in Chapter 23 that makes them delay the assault for a day?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)