|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the walls of Badajoz have on them?
(a) Iron pikes.
(c) Jagged rocks.
(d) Barbed wire.
2. Why does Wellington launch two suicidal attacks?
(a) To pin down the French defenders.
(b) To make the French know he is serious.
(c) To take the citadel.
(d) To kill off some undesirables.
3. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
(a) To promote Sharpe.
(b) To question the prisoners.
(c) To shift the army.
(d) To make detailed plans.
4. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
(a) The River Guadiana and the Rivillas Stream.
(b) A heavy forest.
(c) The Mediterranean Sea.
(d) A swamp.
5. What does Windham realize as he watches the maneuvers at the dam?
(a) The dam will blow any minute.
(b) There are more defenders than thought.
(c) It is too wet for the charges to go off.
(d) The demolition team has botched its job.
6. What do the British do when the weather clears in Chapter 17?
(a) Begin digging again.
(b) Set up a dry camp.
(c) Clean their gear.
(d) Assault the walls.
7. What do the British do with the captured bastion?
(a) Set up more scaling ladders.
(b) Set up more siege cannons.
(c) Put in more catpults.
(d) Set up more buttress cannons.
8. What is in the very center of Badajoz?
(a) Six fortresses.
(b) The governor's mansion.
(c) A huge cathedral.
(d) A statue of Napoleon.
9. What does Sharpe do when he reaches the dam?
(a) Takes charge of the company.
(b) Slaps Rymer to snap him out of his problems.
(c) Tells his men to retreat.
(d) Yells at Rymer.
10. Where is Teresa's family's house located in Badajoz?
(a) At the center of the city.
(b) Near the northern wall.
(c) Near the governor's mansion.
(d) On the eastern edge.
11. What does Hakeswill begin to do that makes him appear insane?
(a) Staring into his shako and speaking to it.
(b) Crawling on his belly for no reason.
(c) Talking to the animals.
(d) Jerking his arms for no apparent reason.
12. How does the British mount an attack on the dam?
(a) From the hills on the east side.
(b) Through the flooded plain.
(c) Across the Rivillas Stream.
(d) Down the River Guadiana.
13. What action by Rymer does Sharpe stop after the dam mission?
(a) Killing Hakeswill.
(b) Folding the green coats into the company.
(c) Blaming Sharpe for the failure of the mission.
(d) Demoting Harper.
14. What makes the British tasks more difficult?
(a) The thick trees.
(b) Constant rain and thick mud.
(c) Rocky ground.
(d) The French running sorties.
15. Why is Sharpe summoned to his old company?
(a) Harper has been injured.
(b) Rymer has been killed.
(c) Hakeswill has disappeared.
(d) Rymer has frozen up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the most deadly setups the French have?
2. What fills the ditch?
3. What does Sharpe conclude after seeing the ball from his leg?
4. What type of action is Knowles leading?
5. Why does Wellington believe he must take Badajoz immediately?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)