|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the entire first forlorn hope killed?
(a) The French shoot all of them.
(b) A massive mine explodes.
(c) They are mowed down with cannon fire.
(d) A wall falls on them.
2. What does Sharpe do after setting the charges?
(a) He pushes on to the fortress.
(b) He retreats.
(c) He returns to Windham.
(d) He hides in the boulders near the dam.
3. What does Sharpe do when he gets to his old company?
(a) Finds Harper.
(b) Finds Hakeswill.
(c) Slaps Rymer to get him moving.
(d) Rallies the men.
4. What does Sharpe order the men to do when the French attack?
(a) Has them make a stand in the ditch.
(b) Sends them into the middle of the French.
(c) Orders them back.
5. How does Knowles base his conduct during the assault?
(a) On what is the most honorable thing to do.
(b) He's a by the book officer.
(c) On what he believes Sharpe would do.
(d) He is creative and sends his men to strange places.
6. Who does Sharpe suspect of stealing?
7. What happens when Sharpe goes forward to watch the digging in Chapter 12?
(a) A French sortie comes out.
(b) He finds Harper.
(c) Two men jump him.
(d) A wall collapses.
8. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
(a) A heavy forest.
(b) The River Guadiana and the Rivillas Stream.
(c) The Mediterranean Sea.
(d) A swamp.
9. What does Windham realize about punishing Harper?
(a) It should have been done in private.
(b) It was the right thing to do.
(c) It got the men ready for battle.
(d) It was a mistake.
10. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
(a) Company commander.
(b) Assult captain.
(c) Artillery officer.
(d) Windham's aide-de-camp.
11. What does Sharpe find when he returns to the baggage area?
(a) Harper is drunk.
(b) Someone has broken into some of the packs.
(c) Two packs are missing.
(d) The mules' paniers are strewed about the ground.
12. What do the British do when the weather clears in Chapter 17?
(a) Assault the walls.
(b) Begin digging again.
(c) Clean their gear.
(d) Set up a dry camp.
13. Where do Sharpe and his men assemble prior to their assault?
(a) In the ditch.
(b) By the wall to the left of the breach.
(c) On the hill.
(d) In front of the breach.
14. How are the walls of Badajoz reinforced?
(a) With ravelins and a glacis.
(b) With concrete pilings.
(c) With steel girders.
(d) With a wooden stockade.
15. What is in the very center of Badajoz?
(a) A huge cathedral.
(b) A statue of Napoleon.
(c) Six fortresses.
(d) The governor's mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sharpe summoned to his old company?
2. How do the assembled men feel about Harper's punishment?
3. What does Windham give Harper?
4. What do the British decide they must do with the flooded plain?
5. What does Rymer do when the French attack in Chapter 13?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)