|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harper find for Sharpe?
(a) A stretcher.
(b) Medical assistance.
(c) A field dressing.
(d) A nurse.
2. What does Windham do to Harper?
(a) Puts him in chains.
(b) Throws him to the French.
(c) Sentences him to a flogging.
(d) Has him beaten and court martialed.
3. What has been stolen of Windham's?
(a) His sword.
(b) The portrait of his wife.
(c) His spare uniform.
(d) His spare boots.
4. What happens when Sharpe goes forward to watch the digging in Chapter 12?
(a) He finds Harper.
(b) A French sortie comes out.
(c) Two men jump him.
(d) A wall collapses.
5. Where are six external fortresses placed in Badajoz?
(a) Around the center of the city.
(b) Around the city at strategic points.
(c) Near the eastern edge.
(d) Near the western gates.
6. What does Hakeswill spend his time thinking about during the assault preparations?
(a) Raping Teresa.
(b) Raping Windham's wife.
(c) Killing Wellington.
(d) Killing Hogan.
7. What is one of the most deadly setups the French have?
(a) The arrow loops in the wall.
(b) The mines in the ditch.
(c) The long range artillery.
(d) The French defensive interlocking fire.
8. Who captures one of the bastions?
(a) No one.
(b) A British assault force.
(c) Sharpe's company.
(d) The Spanish.
9. Why does Windham dispatch Sharpe to the dam?
(a) To help ward off some of the defenders.
(b) To take dry powder to the dam.
(c) To find out what's going on with the demolition team.
(d) To be near when the dam blows.
10. What does Windham realize about punishing Harper?
(a) It should have been done in private.
(b) It was the right thing to do.
(c) It got the men ready for battle.
(d) It was a mistake.
11. Why might there be massive British casualties when assaulting Badajoz?
(a) There is no way to breach the walls.
(b) There is so much artillery.
(c) The only approach is channeled, dense and predictable.
(d) The French have excellent rifle companies on the walls.
12. Where is Badajoz located?
(a) The northern part of France.
(b) The southern roadway from Portugal to Spain.
(c) Near the center of Portugal.
(d) On the Turkey peninsula.
13. What is in the very center of Badajoz?
(a) A huge cathedral.
(b) Six fortresses.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) A statue of Napoleon.
14. What is the force going to the dam supposed to do?
(a) Unleash the gates.
(b) Set explosive charges.
(c) Dig through the dike.
(d) Kill the company guarding the dam.
15. What does Hakeswill confiscate of Harper's?
(a) His horse.
(b) His bayonet.
(c) His rifle.
(d) His seven-barrel gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the assembled men feel about Harper's punishment?
2. Where is Sharpe assigned following the mission at the dam?
3. How does Knowles base his conduct during the assault?
4. How do the two diversionary attacks end up?
5. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)