|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sharpe order the men to do when the French attack?
(b) Orders them back.
(c) Sends them into the middle of the French.
(d) Has them make a stand in the ditch.
2. What is Sharpe's assignment at the beginning of the assault on Badajoz?
(a) Throwing hay into the ditch.
(b) Scaling the northern tower.
(c) Guiding forward units into their assault position.
(d) Running errands for Windham.
3. What do the British forces begin to do when they arrive at Badajoz?
(a) Digging under the southern wall.
(b) Digging parallels and approaches.
(c) Setting up catapults.
(d) Setting up a fire line.
4. Who captures one of the bastions?
(a) No one.
(b) Sharpe's company.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) A British assault force.
5. Where are six external fortresses placed in Badajoz?
(a) Near the eastern edge.
(b) Near the western gates.
(c) Around the center of the city.
(d) Around the city at strategic points.
6. What does Knowles intend to do with his orders?
(a) Pretend to be fighting.
(b) Actually carry out the assault.
(c) Pretend to want to scale the citadel.
7. Where is Badajoz located?
(a) On the Turkey peninsula.
(b) Near the center of Portugal.
(c) The southern roadway from Portugal to Spain.
(d) The northern part of France.
8. Why is Sharpe summoned to his old company?
(a) Rymer has been killed.
(b) Harper has been injured.
(c) Hakeswill has disappeared.
(d) Rymer has frozen up.
9. What type of action is Knowles leading?
(a) A diversionary one.
(b) An assault on a breach.
(c) A cavalry action.
(d) A flanking action.
10. What does Windham give Harper?
(a) His watch.
(b) A gold piece.
(c) A new uniform.
(d) A new horse.
11. With what type of gun does Harper think Sharpe was shot?
(a) An old muskrat.
(b) The seven-barrel gun.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A rifle.
12. What is one of the most deadly setups the French have?
(a) The mines in the ditch.
(b) The long range artillery.
(c) The French defensive interlocking fire.
(d) The arrow loops in the wall.
13. What are emplaced against two of the bastions?
(a) Scaling ladders.
(b) Buttress cannons.
(d) Siege cannons.
14. Who is selected for the assault on the dam?
(a) Hakeswill's platoon.
(b) Somerset's marines.
(c) Sharpe's old company.
(d) The fifth cavalry.
15. Why does Wellington launch two suicidal attacks?
(a) To kill off some undesirables.
(b) To take the citadel.
(c) To make the French know he is serious.
(d) To pin down the French defenders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harper find for Sharpe?
2. How is Sharpe detailed during the attack on the bastions?
3. What do the British do with the captured bastion?
4. What does Sharpe do when he reaches the dam?
5. What guards the dam across the Rivillas Stream?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)