|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the charges blow at the dam?
(a) Half the dam is taken away.
(b) Nothing, it was enough explosives.
(c) A small crack appears in the dam.
(d) The dam blows up.
2. What does Sharpe order the men to do when the French attack?
(b) Sends them into the middle of the French.
(c) Orders them back.
(d) Has them make a stand in the ditch.
3. What does Harper find for Sharpe?
(a) A stretcher.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A field dressing.
(d) Medical assistance.
4. What are emplaced against two of the bastions?
(a) Siege cannons.
(b) Scaling ladders.
(d) Buttress cannons.
5. For what does Sharpe ask permission?
(a) To command the reserve company.
(b) To return to his company.
(c) To lead the forlorn hope.
(d) To promote Harper.
6. What do the British do when the weather clears in Chapter 17?
(a) Begin digging again.
(b) Clean their gear.
(c) Set up a dry camp.
(d) Assault the walls.
7. With what type of gun does Harper think Sharpe was shot?
(a) An old muskrat.
(b) The seven-barrel gun.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A rifle.
8. What is one of the most deadly setups the French have?
(a) The long range artillery.
(b) The mines in the ditch.
(c) The arrow loops in the wall.
(d) The French defensive interlocking fire.
9. What do the French do when the British attack?
(a) Turn on them.
(c) Breaks up the ditches the British have dug.
(d) Pushes them into a mined area.
10. What is the force going to the dam supposed to do?
(a) Kill the company guarding the dam.
(b) Dig through the dike.
(c) Set explosive charges.
(d) Unleash the gates.
11. Why does Wellington call a council of war?
(a) To shift the army.
(b) To question the prisoners.
(c) To make detailed plans.
(d) To promote Sharpe.
12. How are the walls of Badajoz reinforced?
(a) With concrete pilings.
(b) With a wooden stockade.
(c) With ravelins and a glacis.
(d) With steel girders.
13. Why is Sharpe summoned to his old company?
(a) Hakeswill has disappeared.
(b) Rymer has been killed.
(c) Harper has been injured.
(d) Rymer has frozen up.
14. Where are six external fortresses placed in Badajoz?
(a) Around the center of the city.
(b) Near the western gates.
(c) Around the city at strategic points.
(d) Near the eastern edge.
15. About what is Sharpe questioned at the war council?
(a) His judgment on the breaches.
(b) How to scale the northern wall.
(c) Where the French are located.
(d) Why the attack on the dam failed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What protects the northern side of Badajoz?
2. What do the British do with the captured bastion?
3. Why does Windham dispatch Sharpe to the dam?
4. What happens when Sharpe goes forward to watch the digging in Chapter 12?
5. How do the two diversionary attacks end up?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)