|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one question Bernard Cornwell is often asked about Richard Sharpe?
(a) If he finally emigrated to the United States.
(b) If he actually settled down in Normandy.
(c) If he lived a long life.
(d) If he ever reclaims his daughter.
2. Picard thinks ____________ are on the slopes.
(b) The Spanish elite forces.
(c) The British.
(d) No forces.
3. Why is Picard pleased that his men are miserable?
(a) He thinks they fight better that way.
(b) He thinks they need to be toughened up.
(c) He will look good when he solves their problem.
(d) He likes to share his own misery.
4. How long was each story originally supposed to be?
(a) 12,000 words.
(b) 6,000 words.
(c) 45,000 words.
(d) 22,000 words.
5. What does Cornwell say that characters sometimes do?
(a) Evolve into someone different.
(b) Live long, peaceful lives after intense fighting as young adults.
(c) Take a life of their own.
(d) Die when it seems unnecessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sharpe glad the French garrison is accompanied by women?
2. For what does Gudin pray?
3. What are both men unable to do?
4. To what does Caillou object?
5. What does D'Alembord ask Sharpe about India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cornwell say about Sharpe's Christmas in the introduction?
2. Why does Sharpe have hope the garrison will surrender, and what does the garrison have that Sharpe would like to take?
3. How does Nicholls feel about Sharpe and Harper? What does he ask them? What is Sharpe's response?
4. What does Harper think about the British coming into conflict with the French? What does Sharpe think about it? Why?
5. Why is General Picard upset? What pleases him about his men? Why does he think he is different from Gudin?
6. What does Gudin do after Caillou breaks the truce?
7. Why is Caillou angry at Gudin about the women, and why is Gudin walking?
8. How does Gudin feel about leaving the fort at Ochagavia, and what is the group composed of who will be leaving the fort?
9. What has Sharpe been doing for the past ten years? Whom does he command? Why? When do Sharpe and his men march? What does Sharpe ignore?
10. What does Caillou do to keep Gudin from meeting with the British truce?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)