|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lord Kiely take offense at Sharpe when they first meet?
(a) Sharpe tells Kiely to sober up.
(b) Sharpe tells him they look terrible.
(c) Sharpe makes a comment about Juanita.
(d) Sharpe ordered the soldiers to close ranks.
2. What does Ducos think about Loup's capabilities?
(a) He is one of the best soldiers and leaders in Spain.
(b) He is a great soldier but a poor leader.
(c) He is incompetent.
(d) He is a mediocre soldier but good leader.
3. What are the four French soldiers that ride up to the village carrying?
(b) A British standard.
(c) The body of one of Sharpe's riflemen.
(d) A white flag.
4. What does Sharpe tell the men about dead deserters?
(a) The Spanish will go after their families also.
(b) The British will execute them.
(c) The Spanish will not tolerate it.
(d) Loup is doing that to them.
5. What does Sharpe hear as he is entering San Cristobal?
(a) Horses coming quickly.
(b) Wolves howling.
(c) A woman singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two Frenchmen in the village doing when Sharpe arrives?
2. What does Sharpe tell Harper they need to worry about instead of the rumors?
3. What does a look-out spot below them?
4. What do the French do to get to Sharpe's troops?
5. Why does Sharpe think the men desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Portuguese battalion arrive, with whom does Sharpe meet, what kind of man is he and why is the battalion there?
2. Who is with the Portuguese and why is Sharpe happy about that?
3. What kind of problem do Sarsfield and Donaju bring to Sharpe and what is his response?
4. How does Sharpe deal with the problem of desertion?
5. How does Juanita first see Loup, what is her impression and how do Loup and her feel when they meet?
6. What does Sharpe find out from Donaju about Kiely?
7. Describe the battle at the barracks when Loup's troops attack.
8. What is in the letter from the Spanish king to General Wellington that upsets him?
9. What does Sharpe ask Runciman to do and why has he asked him instead of the British command?
10. Why is Sharpe frustrated at the beginning of the book, what does Harper do about it and how does Sharpe respond to Harper?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)