|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilquis claim she is sewing when her husband inquires?
2. For what does the delusional Maulana Dawood dress after arriving in the new capital city?
3. How does General Raddi arrest Haroun Harappa and his terrorists without firing a shot?
4. How many fish do Omar and Raza catch on their fishing trip?
5. What is the name of the political party of which Iskander Harappa becomes the leader after the present government loses popularity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arjumand Harappa choose to remember her father?
2. Why does the Pakistani government intercept and destroy all incoming copies of a particular issue of Newsweek?
3. What two phrases constitute the motto of Raza's regime?
4. Why does the narrator include the anecdote about seeing a London performance of Danton's Death?
5. What is the consequence of Maulana Dawood's quest against the selling and eating of shellfish in Karachi?
6. Why, in the opinion of Omar Khayyam Shakil, does Sufiya Zinobia become intensely ill?
7. What is revealed by Rani Harappa's uncovering of the deceased Iskander's face?
8. Why does Captain Talvar Ulhaq take great risk to steal Naveed Hyder from her arranged marriage to Haroun Harappa?
9. How does Iskander Harappa finally die?
10. What is the nature of the relationship between Omar Khayyam Shakil and Shahbanou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most important connotations of sharam that is emphasized in Shame is the concept of modesty. Throughout the story, this concept plays an important role in shaping the behavior and attitudes of characters. In a well-developed analytical essay, discuss the various situations in which modesty plays an important role. Which characters adopt attitudes of modesty? How does a lack of modesty negatively effect some characters, and which are effected by it? What does the nuance of modesty carry that distinguishes it from other aspects of shame? What is modesty's role in the main theme of shame?
Essay Topic 2
Write a thoughtful analytical essay on the character of Rani Humayun Harappa. As one of the prominent female characters in the story, her actions and character are very important for discerning the significance of the story. In what ways is Rani significant? How does she impact the plot of the story, if at all? What is the significance of her impact, if she has any, and even if she does not? What particular actions demonstrate to the reader the character of Rani? Is she a virtuous character? Defend your answers with explicit references to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Various actions and statements made by the characters throughout the story support the notion that in Pakistan, as portrayed in Shame, males are in every way superior to females. Analyze, in a well-developed essay, this societal perspective. Who holds this view? Who objects to it? In what ways does this view, as espoused implicitly or explicitly by various characters, impact the story? What is the significance of this view to the main themes and the morals promoted within them as presented throughout the story of Shame?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)