|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed within the story from the end of Chapter 6 to the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. With how many bullets is Babar shot when Raza Hyder entraps the guerrillas?
3. Where is Iskander buried?
4. While in the body of a 19-year-old, what age is Sufiya Zinobia mentally?
5. What is the name of the general who leads the military coup?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Omar and Raza escape the residence of the C-in-C and the house arrest?
2. How is the crazed killing spree of Sufiya Zinobia discovered?
3. How do Raza and Omar disagree when it comes to dealing with Sufiya Zinobia's condition?
4. What becomes of Bilquis in her latter years?
5. Why does the narrator include the anecdote about seeing a London performance of Danton's Death?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Omar Khayyam Shakil and Shahbanou?
7. Why does the Pakistani government intercept and destroy all incoming copies of a particular issue of Newsweek?
8. Why, in the opinion of Omar Khayyam Shakil, does Sufiya Zinobia become intensely ill?
9. Why does the Pakistani man in London, referred to by the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 7, murder his own daughter?
10. How does Iskander Harappa finally die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most important connotations of sharam that is emphasized in Shame is the concept of modesty. Throughout the story, this concept plays an important role in shaping the behavior and attitudes of characters. In a well-developed analytical essay, discuss the various situations in which modesty plays an important role. Which characters adopt attitudes of modesty? How does a lack of modesty negatively effect some characters, and which are effected by it? What does the nuance of modesty carry that distinguishes it from other aspects of shame? What is modesty's role in the main theme of shame?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character analysis of Maulana Dawood in an analytical essay on the archetypal religious zealot. In what ways does Maulana Dawood contrast with the rest of the characters in the story? Do his positions and arguments seem reasonable, or are they mere rantings of a fanatic? Are any of Dawood's objections, arguments, or opinions valid even when and if they are not fully reasonable? How do his actions and opinions influence others in the story (consider characters in addition to Raza Hyder)? What is his ultimate significance to the whole of the story?
Essay Topic 3
As a prominent female figure, Bilquis Hyder, always first hand to experience instability, reveals much about the position of women in Pakistani society as it is portrayed in Shame. How do the various positions into which Bilquis is put and the various attitudes she adopts throughout her life demonstrate the role of Pakistani women? What is significant about her physical appearance? What is significant about the manner in which she clothes herself throughout the story? What is significant about the inverted manner in which she is gradually clothed throughout her married life? What is her overall significance to the story?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)