|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of Farah Zoroaster's nicknames?
2. What word best describes the personality of Bilquis' father?
3. What happens to Eduardo after Farah is expelled from school?
4. What is the first sight of Omar Khayyam Shakil?
5. What profession does Eduardo Rodrigues determine is fitting for Omar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the political atmosphere in Delhi prior to the destruction of Bilquis' father's business?
2. Briefly describe why the narrator insists that his novel is not about a real Pakistan, and what would happen to (the story, not the actual book) it if it were.
3. How does Sindbad Mengal meet his fate?
4. Why is Raza Hyder sent to the Needle Valley?
5. What is guaranteed to the Shakil sisters by the installation of their dumb-waiter?
6. What happens to the real names of the three sisters, and by what names are they instead called?
7. How is Bilquis' father's business ruined?
8. Of what two cultural parts is the town of Q's dumbbell shape composed?
9. What characterizes Bilquis' reaction to the Loo?
10. Briefly, what is the generally accepted reason that the husbands in the Hyder family "secretly" visit their wives in common in the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most important connotations of sharam that is emphasized in Shame is the concept of modesty. Throughout the story, this concept plays an important role in shaping the behavior and attitudes of characters. In a well-developed analytical essay, discuss the various situations in which modesty plays an important role. Which characters adopt attitudes of modesty? How does a lack of modesty negatively effect some characters, and which are effected by it? What does the nuance of modesty carry that distinguishes it from other aspects of shame? What is modesty's role in the main theme of shame?
Essay Topic 2
Compose an analytical essay that fully develops the role of women in the Pakistani society as it is portrayed in Salman Rushdie's Shame. How are they viewed as a whole? What particular roles do individual women fulfill within society? What are some examples of this from the story? In what ways are they abused or neglected? In what ways do the women of the novel nonetheless shape the course of events? What is the ultimate result of women consistently being pushed to the periphery of events by their domineering male counterparts?
Essay Topic 3
Even without the terrifying monster that lurks within her, Sufiya Zinobia is a character that deserves much consideration. Compose a thoughtful analytical essay on the character of Sufiya Zinobia as an entity separate from the Beast that resides within her. What sort of character is she? How do the other characters interact with her? What sort of feelings does she generally inspire in the people around her? Why might Omar Khayyam Shakil have some legitimacy in his attraction to her? What is her primary significance in the story?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)