|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of what movie does Iskander copy a scene when addressing a large crowd?
(a) Mad Max.
(b) Alexander the Great.
(c) Ben Hur.
(d) Julius Caesar.
2. Which of the following is NOT involved in the coup against Raza Hyder that is prematurely unveiled?
3. What is Raza Hyder's military rank upon the opening of Chapter 7?
(b) Lieutenant Colonel.
(d) Brigadier General.
4. What is the name of the 16-year-old Londoner of whom the narrator initially conceives?
(a) Anahita Muhammad.
(b) Ophelia Grey.
(c) Marie Duhatta.
(d) Anna Karenina.
5. Which military man arrives to arrest Iskander Harappa when the coup is pulled off?
(b) Shaggy dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does General Raddi arrest Haroun Harappa and his terrorists without firing a shot?
2. Where is Sufiya Zinobia kept by Raza and Omar after being sedated by her husband?
3. What does Iskander Harappa, while imprisoned, begin to chew in the absence of his cigars?
4. How many reasons does Raza Hyder give against the barbaric nature of Islamic law punishments?
5. What motto appears on Iskander's campaign posters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator include the anecdote about seeing a London performance of Danton's Death?
2. For what reasons does Arjumand Harappa develop an affection for Haroun Harappa?
3. Describe the final disgrace of Naveed Hyder's marriage to Captain Talvar Ulhaq.
4. What is the nature of the relationship between Omar Khayyam Shakil and Shahbanou?
5. What two phrases constitute the motto of Raza's regime?
6. How is the crazed killing spree of Sufiya Zinobia discovered?
7. What change takes place in Iskander Harappa at the age of 40, and why?
8. Why does the Pakistani man in London, referred to by the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 7, murder his own daughter?
9. How does Arjumand Harappa choose to remember her father?
10. Why does Captain Talvar Ulhaq take great risk to steal Naveed Hyder from her arranged marriage to Haroun Harappa?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)