|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Omar strictly limit his sleep at night?
(a) He is attempting to live nocturnally.
(b) He has regular nightmares.
(c) He is afraid his mothers will sell him.
(d) He has unusual theories about rest and health.
2. What does Omar become after starting to attend the school?
(a) A soccer star.
(b) A freakish recluse.
(c) A peeping tom.
(d) A ladies' man.
3. What happens to Mistri Yakoob Balloch after his deal is made with the sisters?
(a) He impregnates one of the sisters.
(b) He is arrested and taken to prison.
(c) He dies suspiciously.
(d) He kidnaps two of the sisters.
4. Who returns to Q as Omar is leaving it for Karachi?
(a) Farah Zoroaster.
(b) Farah Zoroaster's father.
(c) Eduardo Rodrigues.
(d) Babar Khayyam.
5. What about Omar makes Farah incapable of returning his love?
(a) The rumors about his mothers.
(b) Something indefinable.
(c) His terrible acne.
(d) His weight.
6. How does Bilquis' father die, to the best of Bilquis' knowledge?
(c) Old age.
7. Who is the betrothed of Rani Hamayun?
(a) Mohammad Iballa.
(b) Iskander Harappa.
(c) Omar Khayyam Shakil.
(d) Raza Hyder.
8. Which of the following does Old Man Shakil hate?
(a) The native bazaar.
(b) The foreign blacksmith.
(c) His eldest son.
(d) The trade route.
9. What is the name of Bilquis' father's theater?
(a) The Loo.
(b) The Vinyl Theater.
(c) The Excelsior Theater.
(d) The Empire Theater.
10. What significant event happens to the girls at their coming-out party?
(a) One of them becomes pregnant.
(b) One of them is killed.
(c) They find their father's journal.
(d) They are kidnapped.
11. Which of the following languages does Omar not master on his own?
12. What happens to the narrator's poet friend in Karachi by the time Rushdie returns to London?
(a) He is married.
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) He becomes famous for a poem he wrote.
(d) He is killed.
13. What does Chand Mohammad sell to Omar?
(a) A copy of the Qur'an.
(b) A block of ice.
(c) A leather satchel.
(d) A dirty magazine.
14. How is Omar initially received by the student body of the school he attends?
(a) With taunts.
(b) With friendship.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With praise.
15. For whom does Omar look among the Englishmen?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
(d) Dr. Wilkes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a dupatta?
2. What sort of guests compose the majority of the girls' coming-out party?
3. What is intended by Bilal to be draped over Omar's neck after his 12th birthday?
4. For how long are the gates of the Shakil house sealed?
5. What is the name of Bilquis' second daughter?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)