|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job does Ralph lead his mother to believe that he has?
2. What does Ralph think Lonnie doing when Lonnie leaves him in the movie theater?
3. What does Ralph stock up on while in town?
4. What does Ralph do in town?
5. What clay figure is Ralph working on for the bank receptionist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What startling fact does Ralph learn related to Lonnie's leaving town?
2. How much of a down payment does the banker give Ralph and how quickly does Ralph prepare the banker's clay bust?
3. Why does Lonnie have to walk to town the next morning?
4. Why do the boys stop in the town of Globe in their travels?
5. How is Lonnie more of a hindrance than a help regarding the clay bust work and what does Ralph need to do so that the artwork will not be ruined?
6. Why does Ralph allow Lonnie to take undeserved credit for the clay bust projects?
7. How does Lonnie show his bartering skills in town?
8. What advice does the bank receptionist have for Ralph?
9. What does Ralph take to the bank in Safford and what offer does he make there?
10. What does Lonnie do as Ralph works on the clay bust?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Moody choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the car. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)