|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality of Lonnie's does Ralph not like?
2. What does Ralph stock up on while in town?
3. What does Ralph buy Lonnie when he is in town?
4. What does Ralph add to the bust of the second banker?
5. Whose bust has Ralph promised to do in the town in #151?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ralph's plan for making money from the art jobs when it becomes difficult finding work in the small towns outside of El Paso?
2. What does Ralph take to the bank in Safford and what offer does he make there?
3. How does Lonnie occupy his time when Ralph is working on the clay busts?
4. What does Ralph not want his mother to know, and what are his plans for settling down?
5. Why do the boys end up driving to El Paso?
6. What is shown about the boys' personalities in this section?
7. What does Ralph decide to do when Lonnie starts to drain his money and what kind of person does this show Ralph to be?
8. What happens after the banker approves the clay bust?
9. How is Lonnie more of a hindrance than a help regarding the clay bust work and what does Ralph need to do so that the artwork will not be ruined?
10. Why does Ralph allow Lonnie to take undeserved credit for the clay bust projects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Coming of age is an important theme in "Shaking the Nickel Bush". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)