|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Ralph pay Lonnie for each bust?
2. Ralph and Lonnie begin making frequent trips to ___________________.
3. What does Ralph buy Lonnie when he is in town?
4. What quality of Lonnie's does Ralph not like?
5. Whose bust has Ralph promised to do in the town in #151?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ralph encourage Lonnie to do when Lonnie tells him he is broke, and what does Ralph think when Lonnie leaves the theater halfway through a movie?
2. How do the boys manage to get the milk necessary for the rice pudding?
3. Why do the boys end up driving to El Paso?
4. Describe the difficult time that Ralph has with the attorney in El Paso.
5. Why does Lonnie have to walk to town the next morning?
6. What does Ralph take to the bank in Safford and what offer does he make there?
7. What does Ralph not want his mother to know, and what are his plans for settling down?
8. What is shown about the boys' personalities in this section?
9. How does Lonnie show his bartering skills in town?
10. What startling fact does Ralph learn related to Lonnie's leaving town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Moody end the story on a note of hope for Ralph or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the car. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)