|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph send Lonnie into town to get on Christmas?
2. What is the occasion for Ralph's buying Lonnie the gifts?
3. Ralph makes a bust of _______________ to use as a sample to get more work.
4. How much does Ralph pay Lonnie for each bust?
5. Which word best describes Ralph and Lonnie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ralph take to the bank in Safford and what offer does he make there?
2. What does Lonnie insist on doing when he has fully paid his portion of the car?
3. What troubles do the boys have with the car at the Indian reservation and then as they reach Ft. Thomas?
4. What is Ralph's plan for making money from the art jobs when it becomes difficult finding work in the small towns outside of El Paso?
5. How is Lonnie more of a hindrance than a help regarding the clay bust work and what does Ralph need to do so that the artwork will not be ruined?
6. What does Lonnie do as Ralph works on the clay bust?
7. What does Ralph decide to do when Lonnie starts to drain his money and what kind of person does this show Ralph to be?
8. Why do the boys end up driving to El Paso?
9. How much of a down payment does the banker give Ralph and how quickly does Ralph prepare the banker's clay bust?
10. How does Lonnie occupy his time when Ralph is working on the clay busts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is an important theme in "Shaking the Nickel Bush". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Lonnie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Lonnie?
Essay Topic 3
Does Moody end the story on a note of hope for Ralph or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)