|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality are the Larsens?
2. What does the conductor tell Ralph he should do if Ralph wants a job on a ranch?
3. How do Ralph and Lonnie spend most of the day they slid off the road?
4. Ralph meets a man in an employment office who tells Ralph he had a job in which town?
5. The conductor tells Ralph that if Ralph ever needs to jump a train again he should jump a _______________ train.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ralph's opinion of the movie set and who is surprisingly working there?
2. What is revealed about Ralph's character in the first two chapters?
3. What does Lonnie do while driving and learning that Ralph is willing to let Lonnie be part owner of the vehicle?
4. How does Ralph spend his first day on the movie set?
5. What deal does Lonnie make for the car and what is Mr. Larsen's opinion of the deal?
6. Who is Lonnie, and where do he and Ralph head to look for jobs?
7. What advice does the train conductor give to Ralph about finding a job on a ranch?
8. What advice does Mr. Larsen eventually give Lonnie regarding the car?
9. What job is Ted having a hard time filling on the movie set and how much could Ralph earn is he were willing to do it?
10. Why does Lonnie have to walk back to Mesa the next day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is an important theme in "Shaking the Nickel Bush". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Moody choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Ralph's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Ralph's mother?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)