|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claude sit when he interviews Lily at her house?
2. How old is Carlton Cockroft?
3. When does Claude Friedrich arrange to meet with Lily on Tuesday?
4. How long had Lily been out of college at the time she was scarred?
5. How much bigger was the yard at narrator's childhood home than the yard of the home where she lives now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily learn about Claude Friedrich's personal life when he visits Marie Hofstettler?
2. Who pays for the cleaning and other chores that Lily does for Marie Hofstettler?
3. Why is Lily's house a shotgun house?
4. Why did Pardon Albee pick up Marie Hofstettler's rent check every month?
5. Why did Lily choose to live in Shakespeare?
6. Describe Lily's backyard.
7. What cleaning jobs does Lily do on Wednesday mornings?
8. Who does Lily see during her walk in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Lily think something is wrong when she arrives at the Yorks' apartment?
10. Why did Lily not confide in Claude Friedrich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether Lily is or is not the protagonist in the novel. Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Citing examples from the book to support your position, argue whether Carlton suddenly develops an interest in karate because he is interested in Lily or because he is is interested in karate.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Lily finally feels comfortable telling Marshall, and then Claude, that she had found the body. Cite examples from the book.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)