|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lily go for a walk at the beginning of Chapter Two?
2. How does the spotter describe himself?
3. At the beginning of Chapter Two, why is Lily missing Claude?
4. What kinds of clothes hang in Lily's closet?
5. How does Del describe himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the man that Deedra is having an affair with, and what does Lily think that he is thinking?
2. What does Deedra ask Lily to do? Why does Lily refuse?
3. What is the spotter's thought process before leaving the gym after killing Del?
4. Who is Darcy Orchard and how does he treat Lily?
5. Where is Claude when Lily arrives home from work at the end of her day, and what do they discover together?
6. What occurs with the spotter's gloves in the Prologue?
7. What does the reader learn about Shakespeare from Raphael Roundtree?
8. What is the relationship between Marshall and Lily?
9. As the novel opens, what is Del doing and where is he?
10. What has Howell and company brought home that Lily sees him bring into the house? What does he leave behind that annoys Lily? What might these two things mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Darcy, Cleve and Jim puppets in a game that is too big for them? How so? What does it cost them? Defend the answer using specific details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is Shakespeare typical of small town America. Make a comparison analyzing the way that people guide themselves morally, how they act in times of trouble, how they stand up for their own townspeople.
Essay Topic 3
How are the characteristics of Claude and Carrie contradictory to the effect that they have on the incidents that occur in Shakespeare?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)