|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Mookie and Lily surprised about each other?
2. How long had Del been working out before the spotter arrived?
3. What month is it in the Prologue?
4. Which of the choices listed, is NOT how Lily described Del to Claude?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Two, why is Lily missing Claude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Claude when Lily arrives home from work at the end of her day, and what do they discover together?
2. What does Deedra ask Lily to do? Why does Lily refuse?
3. Why are the three murders that have taken place recently in Shakespeare suspicious to Lily?
4. What is the relationship between Marshall and Lily?
5. Describe The Fight in detail.
6. Where do Claude and Lily go after her karate class, and what does Claude tell Lily?
7. What does the reader learn about Shakespeare from Raphael Roundtree?
8. As the novel opens, what is Del doing and where is he?
9. How does Bobo react when Lily comes to karate class on the night that Raphael has returned?
10. How and by whom is Del's body discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Tom David Meicklejohn the worst character of the novel? Does he redeem himself in the end? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jerrell Knopp is yelling at Deedra when the reader first meets him. Though he is not a character that Lily likes, he is not all wrong in his thinking. Analyze Jerrell by explaining what he is setting out to accomplish, how he is going to meet his goal, and how he is both wrong and right in his thinking.
Essay Topic 3
Strong females are depicted in the novel. Analyze the strengths of the females and how their strengths add to the plot of the story.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)