|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Del fare at the competition the year before?
2. What is Tom David's role at The Fight according to him?
3. How did Lily make the final determination that Del was dead?
4. At the beginning of the book, how long is it before the competition?
5. What does Marshall need Lily to do on the first day that the reader meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bobo react when Lily comes to karate class on the night that Raphael has returned?
2. Who is the man that Deedra is having an affair with, and what does Lily think that he is thinking?
3. As the novel opens, what is Del doing and where is he?
4. What is Bobo's connection to the town of Shakespeare?
5. Who is Lily's new client? What is her occupation? What does Lily think of her on their first meeting?
6. Who is the narrator of the story, and what type of person is she?
7. What point of view is the Prologue written in, and what information does this lend to the reader?
8. What is the relationship between Marshall and Lily?
9. What occurs with the spotter's gloves in the Prologue?
10. What questions does Howell ask Lily before he leaves his house, and how do the questions make Lily feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Darcy, Cleve and Jim puppets in a game that is too big for them? How so? What does it cost them? Defend the answer using specific details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Who pays the greatest price for Shakespeare's racism? How might this have been avoided if the black community were more aware of the racism in Shakespeare?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characteristics of Claude and Carrie contradictory to the effect that they have on the incidents that occur in Shakespeare?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)