|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nietzsche say Hamlet's problem was?
2. What is the sentence for Claudio's unlawful fornication?
3. For whom did Cressida betray Troilus?
4. What pleased Ben Jonson about Shakespeare's "Henry VIII"?
5. How does A. C. Bradley describe Cleopatra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bloom say is the difference between 'Othello' "Cymbeline"?
2. What does Bloom say makes "Hamlet" so fascinating?
3. How does Bloom characterize the play "Pericles"?
4. Where does Bloom say "Winter's Tale" sits in Shakespeare's folio?
5. What insight does Bloom say "All's Well That Ends Well" gives us into marriage?
6. What parallel does Bloom describe between characters Henry V and Alexander the Great?
7. What does Bloom say is the focus of "Antony and Cleopatra"?
8. Where does Bloom see comedy in "Antony and Cleopatra"?
9. What purpose does Bloom say "The Merry Wives of Windsor" serves among Shakespeare's plays?
10. What does Bloom say was Shakespeare's role in "Two Noble Kinsmen"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How useful is the categorical breakdown Bloom uses--histories, comedies, tragedies, problem plays, etc.? Is there too much overlap between plays for these terms to be useful? What use does this schema of categorization have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Shakespeare's hierarchy of values. What is most important to him. What is least? Similarly, describe Bloom's hierarchy of values.
Essay Topic 3
Bloom credits Shakespeare with defining the interior development that we take as emblematic of modernity. Has anything happened, in art or in human culture, that has invented a different kind of human being, or invented different ways of being human since Shakespeare?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)