|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bloom say in response to the criticism that Shakespeare copied Hamlet from other sources?
2. What was Wilkins' role in "Pericles"?
3. Whose skepticism does Bloom describe behind Hamlet's philosophizing?
4. What does William Hazlitt say is the center of "Othello"?
5. What does Bloom say constitutes the darkness of "Cymbeline"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bloom characterize the play "Pericles"?
2. What is the role of love in "King Lear", according to Bloom?
3. What warning does Bloom say Emerson makes about ''King Lear"?
4. What view does Bloom take on Iago's character?
5. What does Bloom say is the flaw of "Coriolanus"?
6. What does Bloom say is the heart of "The Tempest"?
7. What flaws does Bloom say complicate "Cymbeline"?
8. What is Bloom's estimation of "Henry VIII"?
9. What interpretation does Bloom say he favors for Caliban in "The Tempest"?
10. What parallel does Bloom describe between characters Henry V and Alexander the Great?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of love in Shakespeare's plays? How does Bloom describe the benefits and consequences of love?
Essay Topic 3
What are the archetypal Shakespearean characters? Where are they delineated? How does Bloom say they develop from one work to another?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)