|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bloom characterize the Falstaff of "The Merry Wives of Windsor"?
2. What is Bloom's complaint about "Henry VIII"?
3. How does Bloom characterize the end of "Measure for Measure"?
4. Why was Caliban suffering, according to critic Browning?
5. M. C. Bradbrook describes "Pericles" as half spectacle and half what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bloom say is the difference between 'Othello' "Cymbeline"?
2. Why does Bloom say "Timon of Athens" was not performed in Shakespeare's lifetime?
3. What does Bloom say is the heart of "The Tempest"?
4. What is the moral of "Measure for Measure", in Bloom's account?
5. What interpretation does Bloom say he favors for Caliban in "The Tempest"?
6. How does Bloom characterize the play "Pericles"?
7. What does Bloom say is the focus of "Antony and Cleopatra"?
8. Where does Bloom say "Winter's Tale" sits in Shakespeare's folio?
9. What warning does Bloom say Emerson makes about ''King Lear"?
10. What is Bloom's estimation of "Henry VIII"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the Nietzsche whom Bloom describes as a presence in Shakespeare's plays. How does Bloom delineate Nietzsche's philosophy and his character?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Which one of Shakespeare's plays is most promising for further analysis, in your opinion? Which play raises questions you would like to answer? What are those questions, and what part of Bloom's analysis makes those questions seem poignant? How does Bloom himself frame the answers for those questions?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)