|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Moth's role in "Love's Labor's Lost"?
2. What doe G. K. Chesterton say Rosalind is seeking in the woods?
3. What did "Titus Andronicus" accomplish for Shakespeare, according to Bloom?
4. In what way did Shakespeare make progress as he wrote his plays?
5. To what later character does Bloom connect Brutus from "Julius Caesar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What step does Bloom say Shakespeare took, with "The Merchant of Venice", beyond Marlowe's style?
2. What play does Bloom say influenced Shakespeare's "Henry VI"?
3. How does Bloom characterize the character Shylock?
4. What does Bloom say Shakespeare's compare to in terms of world religion?
5. What is Bloom's estimation of "Julius Caesar"?
6. What was Nietzsche's influence on Bloom's view of Shakespeare?
7. How does Bloom say the relationship between men and women 'Love's Labor's Lost' is emblematic of the relations between the sexes in other plays?
8. What does Bloom say is the main action of "Two Gentlemen of Verona"?
9. What is Bloom's estimation of "Two Gentlemen of Verona"?
10. What similarity does Bloom say there is between "Twelfth Night" and a Ben Jonson play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the archetypal Shakespearean characters? Where are they delineated? How does Bloom say they develop from one work to another?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of "Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Is Shakespeare an everyman, whose talents are universal, or is he a unique individual whose gifts will never be repeated? Is he a type or a hero? How does Bloom describe him? How do you see him, as a result of reading this book?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)