|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who counters Richard II's character in "Richard II"?
2. Who does Bloom say steals the show in "Romeo and Juliet"?
3. Who does Viola end up with in "Twelfth Night"?
4. How is Joan of Arc depicted in "Henry VI", in Bloom's account?
5. In what way does Bloom say Shakespeare departs from Marlowe's precursor "The Jew of Malta"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marlowe's influence on "Titus Andronicus"?
2. What personality development does Bloom describe in "Taming of the Shrew"?
3. How does Bloom defend "Midsummer Night's Dream" from criticism?
4. What does Bloom say is the primary rival for Romeo and Juliet's affections?
5. How does Bloom characterize "Much Ado About Nothing"?
6. What is it about Falstaff that Bloom likes so much?
7. What is Bloom's estimation of "Two Gentlemen of Verona"?
8. What play does Bloom say influenced Shakespeare's "Henry VI"?
9. Where does Bloom see resonances of "Julius Caesar" in other plays?
10. How does Bloom characterize Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of "Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Shakespeare's hierarchy of values. What is most important to him. What is least? Similarly, describe Bloom's hierarchy of values.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)