|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bloom characterize the love affair between Antony and Cleopatra?
(a) As a literary philosophy.
(b) As the summit of hopeless romanticism.
(c) As a political act.
(d) As a nihilistic act.
2. What was John Fletcher's role in "Henry VIII", according to Bloom?
(a) He wrote the source play for Shakespeare's play.
(b) He wrote the first draft for Shakespeare.
(c) He helped with the writing.
(d) He authored the script.
3. According to Bloom, T. S. Eliot prefers "Coriolanus" to which other Shakespeare play?
(b) "Love's Labor's Lost".
(d) "King Lear".
4. What does Theseus give away in "Two Noble Kinsmen"?
(a) His throne.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His lands.
(d) His wife.
5. Why does Bloom say "Timon of Athens" was never performed?
(a) Shakespeare used the play to denounce contemporary London.
(b) Shakespeare's patron was offended by the play.
(c) Shakespeare felt the play was too personal.
(d) Shakespeare died before he finished it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes "Winter's Tale" jarring, in Bloom's interpretation?
2. What does Bloom say T. S. Eliot says about "Hamlet"?
3. What does Bloom say is the center of "The Tempest'?
4. Whose greatness does "Henry VIII" prophecy?
5. Why was Caliban suffering, according to critic Browning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bloom characterize the play "Pericles"?
2. What does Bloom say is the political subtext of "Troilus and Cressida"?
3. Where does Bloom say "Winter's Tale" sits in Shakespeare's folio?
4. What is the moral of "Measure for Measure", in Bloom's account?
5. What does Bloom say is the focus of "Antony and Cleopatra"?
6. How does Bloom say "Henry V" has been used in its history?
7. What is Bloom's estimation of "Henry VIII"?
8. What flaws does Bloom say complicate "Cymbeline"?
9. Where does Bloom see comedy in "Antony and Cleopatra"?
10. What insight does Bloom say "All's Well That Ends Well" gives us into marriage?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)