|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iago triumph over, in Bloom's interpretation?
(a) Conventional morality.
(b) Shallower evil characters.
(d) Subordinate races.
2. What does critic Marc Shell say Shakespeare is criticizing in Angelo's strict enforcement of law in 'Measure for Measure'?
(a) The Puritans' ineffective morality campaigns.
(b) The royal family's peccadilloes.
(c) The notion of law and order at all.
(d) Hypocrisy in the government's morality campaigns.
3. How does Auden describe Iago?
(a) As karmic vengeance.
(b) As a practical joker.
(c) As a devil.
(d) As the subterranean soul of Western culture.
4. What important character does Bloom say Iago influenced?
(a) Whitman's Self.
(b) Milton's Satan.
(c) Melville's Ahab.
(d) Emerson's Transparent Eyeball.
5. What does Theseus give away in "Two Noble Kinsmen"?
(a) His lands.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His wife.
(d) His throne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bloom say is the center of "The Tempest'?
2. What does Bloom say he prefers for representations of Caliban?
3. What does Iachino want from Imogen?
4. What does Bloom say in response to Hamlet's claim that he was a prisoner in Denmark?
5. What does Bloom say love causes in "King Lear"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of love in "King Lear", according to Bloom?
2. How does Bloom say "Henry V" has been used in its history?
3. Where does Bloom say "Winter's Tale" sits in Shakespeare's folio?
4. What view does Bloom take on Iago's character?
5. What purpose does Bloom say "The Merry Wives of Windsor" serves among Shakespeare's plays?
6. What interpretation does Bloom say he favors for Caliban in "The Tempest"?
7. What does Bloom say is the flaw of "Coriolanus"?
8. What parallel does Bloom describe between characters Henry V and Alexander the Great?
9. What warning does Bloom say Emerson makes about ''King Lear"?
10. What does Bloom say is the heart of "The Tempest"?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)