|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does critic Hazlitt see in "Coriolanus"?
(a) The danger of political power.
(b) The insolence of power.
(c) A warning against love.
(d) The problem with family love.
2. What does Iachino want from Imogen?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To seduce her or see her killed.
(c) To make her queen.
(d) To convince her to betray her husband's political power.
3. How does Bloom characterize the love affair between Antony and Cleopatra?
(a) As the summit of hopeless romanticism.
(b) As a nihilistic act.
(c) As a literary philosophy.
(d) As a political act.
4. What does Bloom say he prefers for representations of Caliban?
(a) A pygmy.
(b) A half-human beast.
(c) A black slave.
(d) A Native American.
5. How does the porter describe the effects of alcohol?
(a) It confuses family lines in improvident matches.
(b) It reveals people's true characters.
(c) It makes people equal, but removes the ability to have sex.
(d) It blinds people to their own death, and perpetuates their genetic lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bloom say is the problem with the character of Coriolanus?
2. What does Bloom say he suspects Shakespeare of, in "Henry V"?
3. What does Bloom say in response to the criticism that Shakespeare copied Hamlet from other sources?
4. What is Bloom's complaint about "Henry VIII"?
5. What makes "Winter's Tale" jarring, in Bloom's interpretation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does Bloom say "The Merry Wives of Windsor" serves among Shakespeare's plays?
2. What parallel does Bloom describe between characters Henry V and Alexander the Great?
3. What does Bloom say makes "Hamlet" so fascinating?
4. What does Bloom say is the political subtext of "Troilus and Cressida"?
5. Where does Bloom say "Winter's Tale" sits in Shakespeare's folio?
6. What does Bloom say was Shakespeare's role in "Two Noble Kinsmen"?
7. What does Bloom say is the focus of "Antony and Cleopatra"?
8. What does Bloom say is the heart of "Macbeth"?
9. What insight does Bloom say "All's Well That Ends Well" gives us into marriage?
10. How does Bloom characterize the play "Pericles"?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)