|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Bloom compare Hamlet and Falstaff?
(a) Adam in 'Paradise Lost'.
(b) The Old Testament God.
(c) The Knight in Chaucer's 'Knight's Tale'.
(d) Melville's Captain Ahab.
2. How does Bloom characterize Shylock?
(a) As a diminutive Barabas.
(b) As a buffoon.
(c) As evil incarnate.
(d) As a comic villain.
3. What does Feste do to Malvolio?
4. How does Bloom characterize "Romeo and Juliet"?
5. What kind of play is "Taming of the Shrew"?
6. To what later character does Bloom connect Brutus from "Julius Caesar"?
(c) Regan and Goneril.
7. What does Bloom say "Love's Labor's Lost" has in common with other plays?
(a) Mixing of social classes.
(b) Heroes brought low and villains elevated.
(c) Surprising twists and turns.
(d) Love winning out against the odds.
8. Which critic does Bloom say was overwhelmed by Caesar?
(a) Ben Jonson.
(c) T. S. Eliot.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
9. Viola duels with whom in "Twelfth Night"?
10. What does Faulconbridge save of his father's?
(a) His father's honor.
(b) His father's estate.
(c) His father's power.
(d) His father's philosophy.
11. How does Bloom characterize "Much Ado About Nothing"?
(a) A Biblical comedy.
(b) A disorganized jumble.
(c) Shakespeare's most perfect play.
12. How does Bloom characterize the end of "Richard III"?
13. How is Joan of Arc depicted in "Henry VI", in Bloom's account?
(a) As a sly, manipulative woman.
(b) As a saint.
(c) As a maternal figure.
(d) As a whore/heroine.
14. Who was NOT a contemporary of Shakespeare's?
(a) Ben Jonson.
(b) John Fletcher.
(c) William Chaucer.
(d) Christopher Marlowe.
15. For whom is Shylock a predecessor, in Bloom's interpretation?
(a) Puck in "Midsummer Night's Dream".
(b) Macbeth in "Macbeth".
(c) Edmund in "King Lear".
(d) Caesar in "Julius Caesar".
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Moth's role in "Love's Labor's Lost"?
2. Who is the center of the subplot in "Twelfth Night"?
3. What makes "Love's Labor's Lost" one of Bloom's favorite plays?
4. How does Bloom characterize the marriage between Beatrice and Benedick?
5. Who gets hurt in "Comedy of Errors"?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)