|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The destroyer of monuments wrecks what kind of statues?
2. What aspect of the revolution does Europe express outrage over?
3. Who tells Azari that there has been a massacre in Qom?
4. Which animal causes an anti-police riot in an Iranian town?
5. A newspaper article provides what reason for its assertion that Khomeini is a madman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "two camps" does the Iranian revolution divide itself into?
2. Describe the incident in which Azari is beaten.
3. What is significant about the trip Kapuscinski makes in December 1978?
4. How does the local newspaper respond to the events surrounding Azari's beating?
5. What is the national response to the massacre of Qom? What events follow the massacre?
6. What happens in Qom as a result of an unflattering article in Etelat about Khomeini that spurs the revolution?
7. What is the nature of the January 8, 1978 article in Etelat that helped to spur the Iranian revolution?
8. What is the Shah forced by the Americans to do shortly before the revolution? How do the people react to the Shah's action?
9. Describe the "professional wrecker" that Kapuscinski interviews in "The Dead Flame."
10. What does Azari learn about his brother once he returns to Iran in 1977?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the basic philosophical differences between conservatism and liberalism. How was this debate/struggle manifest in the aftermath of the Iranian Revolution?
Essay Topic 2
The Great Civilization was a central event in Iranian history.
1) Explain what the Great Civilization was. When did it occur? Who initiated it? What was its purpose?
2) How did Iran change as a result of the Great Civilization? Describe how military, industries, common people, etc., changed.
3) Why is the date of December 23, 1973, important in the history of the Great Civilization?
Essay Topic 3
What role did oil play in Iran's history? List major events that involved oil, particularly the West's interest in Iranian oil reserves. For Kapuscinski, what does oil represent/symbolize for the poor people of the Middle East?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)