|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the definition of "revolution by assault"?
2. Where must Azari get stitches after his beating?
3. Where were American hostages held as a result of the Iranian revolution?
4. A newspaper article provides what reason for its assertion that Khomeini cannot be trusted?
5. Who leads the progressive factions after the revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What organizations rule after the Shah is deposed? How does Kapuscinski characterize this organizations?
2. What is the Shah forced by the Americans to do shortly before the revolution? How do the people react to the Shah's action?
3. How does Mahmud Azari sum up the psychological atmosphere in Iran, and its relationship to the modernization going on?
4. What does Azari learn about old acquaintances upon his 1977 return to Iran?
5. Describe the incident in which Azari is beaten.
6. What extended metaphor does Kapuscinski offer for the relationship between the Shah, the Great Civilization, and the people of Iran?
7. What anecdote does Kapuscinski share about the Persian carpet salesman, and what is this salesman's message?
8. What is significant about the trip Kapuscinski makes in December 1978?
9. What is the national response to the massacre of Qom? What events follow the massacre?
10. What is the nature of the January 8, 1978 article in Etelat that helped to spur the Iranian revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did oil play in Iran's history? List major events that involved oil, particularly the West's interest in Iranian oil reserves. For Kapuscinski, what does oil represent/symbolize for the poor people of the Middle East?
Essay Topic 2
Iran is notable for being one of the largest concentrations of Shiite Muslims in the world.
1) What is Shiism? Explain what followers believe about Muhammad and Ali.
2) How does Shiism differ from Sunni Islam? How do the two sides get along?
3) How does Kapuscinski trace modern terrorism to Iranian Shiism?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the story of Mahmud Azari, as explained at the end of "Daguerreotypes." What are Azari's political leanings? Include discussion of the Iranian Writers' Association in your answer.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)