|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shah Pahlavi demonstrate his love for the military and weapons?
2. In which year was Reza Khan declared Shah by the parliament?
3. Why are the city streets of Tehran unsafe at night post-revolution?
4. Which historical figure is second only to the Prophet Mohammed in the eyes of Shiite Muslims?
5. Which is NOT one of the items Kapuscinski has on his desk at the opening of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Kapuscinski feels that Shiism and Iranian culture were well-matched.
2. What effect does existing Iranian infrastructure have on Great Civilization initiatives?
3. Describe how Reza Khan was forced from his position as Shah of Iran.
4. What effect does the immigration of foreigners during the Great Civilization have on the common Iranian people?
5. Describe the story of Agha Mohammed Khan. Why does Kapuscinski mention this event?
6. Describe the important event of December 23, 1973, as it relates to Iranian history.
7. What part does the mosque play in events leading up to the Iranian revolution?
8. What is the story, as told through Kapuscinski examining a photograph, of the grandfather of the last Shah of Iran, Mohammed Reza Pahlavi?
9. Why and how is Doctor Mossadegh forced from office?
10. What changes to the country does Shah Pahlavi make as part of his Great Civilization? How does the world regard the Shah during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were the Savak? Describe their organizational structure and purpose. What tactics did they use to accomplish their aims? List specific tactics.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the extended metaphor Kapuscinski uses to describe the Shah and the Great Civilization. How does Kapuscinski get across the point of the Shah's failure and ignorance?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the story of Mahmud Azari, as explained at the end of "Daguerreotypes." What are Azari's political leanings? Include discussion of the Iranian Writers' Association in your answer.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)