|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Reza Khan root for in World War II?
2. At the beginning of the book, where is the author located?
3. What was Ali's fate?
4. Which is NOT one of the torture methods mentioned to be in use by the Savak?
5. According to Kapuscinski, why do countries like Iran come to reject internationalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Reza Khan was forced from his position as Shah of Iran.
2. Characterize Reza Khan as a ruler. What were his goals as a ruler? How did he accomplish these goals?
3. What event causes Khomeini to call for the Shah to step down as leader? What do Khomeini and others like him think of Shah Pahlavi?
4. What effect does existing Iranian infrastructure have on Great Civilization initiatives?
5. What crisis of manpower was experienced during the Great Civilization?
6. Who was Doctor Mossadegh, and what important change did he make to Iranian industry?
7. Why and how is Doctor Mossadegh forced from office?
8. Who were the petro-bourgeoisie?
9. Describe why Kapuscinski feels that Shiism and Iranian culture were well-matched.
10. How does the Shah respond once he is restored to power after Mossadegh is exiled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Widespread television was a relatively new phenomenon in Iran at the time of the revolution. How did pro-revolutionary forces use television to aid their cause? Describe the television films produced during this time and their effect on the populace.
Essay Topic 2
Iran is notable for being one of the largest concentrations of Shiite Muslims in the world.
1) What is Shiism? Explain what followers believe about Muhammad and Ali.
2) How does Shiism differ from Sunni Islam? How do the two sides get along?
3) How does Kapuscinski trace modern terrorism to Iranian Shiism?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the story of Mahmud Azari, as explained at the end of "Daguerreotypes." What are Azari's political leanings? Include discussion of the Iranian Writers' Association in your answer.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)