|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Khomeini's title?
2. What are name for Shiite religious leaders?
3. What kind of accountability is in place in regard to the Savak?
4. Members of the Shah's retinue sometimes elect to have lunch flown in by which company?
5. How does world media respond to Shah Pahlavi's attempts to modernize Iran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reza Khan's activities and background prior to becoming Shah. Include the Persian Cossack Brigade in your response.
2. What is the beginning image of Shah of Shahs? What is happening? Where is the author and what is he doing?
3. Describe why Kapuscinski feels that Shiism and Iranian culture were well-matched.
4. What event causes Khomeini to call for the Shah to step down as leader? What do Khomeini and others like him think of Shah Pahlavi?
5. What part does the mosque play in events leading up to the Iranian revolution?
6. What changes to the country does Shah Pahlavi make as part of his Great Civilization? How does the world regard the Shah during this time?
7. Around Kapuscinski's hotel, what is the state of the streets and of overall security and safety of citizens?
8. Who were the petro-bourgeoisie?
9. What is the state of international tourism in Iran at the start of Shah and Shahs?
10. What effect does existing Iranian infrastructure have on Great Civilization initiatives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in "Daguerreotypes," a publisher is demonstrated showing pride in the publication of a poem. Why was the publisher so prideful? Discuss the particulars of the poem and the environment of censorship in Iran at that time.
Essay Topic 2
Widespread television was a relatively new phenomenon in Iran at the time of the revolution. How did pro-revolutionary forces use television to aid their cause? Describe the television films produced during this time and their effect on the populace.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is central to Kapuscinski's discussion of the Shah regime. How did Shah and his various organizations use fear as a weapon? Discuss specific policies the Shah instituted, and discuss the Savak and their relationship to the Iranian citizenry. Finally, how does Kapuscinski relate his discussion of fear to the Iranian Revolution? What role did fear play in that event?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)