|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many agents of Savak were there?
2. Which is NOT one of the goals the Shah has for modernization?
(a) Poverty in Iran will be eradicated.
(b) His military will greatly grow in strength and standing.
(c) Iran will become a world power.
(d) Iran living standards will be equal to those in Europe.
3. What relationship was Ali to the Prophet Mohammed?
(c) He was a good friend.
4. Who aids Shah Pahlavi in his buildup of the military after he retakes his throne from Mossadegh?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
5. How did Shah Pahlavi fund his Great Civilization?
(a) Extreme taxation.
(b) Funding from Western powers.
(c) Iran's oil wealth.
(d) His personal real estate fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of the grandfather of Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi?
2. Reza Khan was an officer in which military organization?
3. What does Pahlavi do when confronted with a crisis of manpower during modernization?
4. Where does Kapuscinski trace modern terrorism to?
5. Who did Shiite Muslims wish to succeed the Prophet Mohammed after he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the immigration of foreigners during the Great Civilization have on the common Iranian people?
2. Around Kapuscinski's hotel, what is the state of the streets and of overall security and safety of citizens?
3. Describe the historical events that gave rise to the Shiite faith.
4. Why and how is Doctor Mossadegh forced from office?
5. Describe why Kapuscinski feels that Shiism and Iranian culture were well-matched.
6. Describe the photograph involving the scene at the bus stop (Photograph 7).
7. What is Qom, and how is it associated with Ayatollah Khomeini?
8. Characterize Reza Khan as a ruler. What were his goals as a ruler? How did he accomplish these goals?
9. What changes to the country does Shah Pahlavi make as part of his Great Civilization? How does the world regard the Shah during this time?
10. What is the beginning image of Shah of Shahs? What is happening? Where is the author and what is he doing?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)