|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What for Kapuscinski symbolizes the promise of easy wealth and power for Middle Easterners, particularly the poor?
(b) Fine clothes.
2. In the mid 1950s, whose name does Shah Pahlavi forbid to be spoken?
(a) Reza Khan.
(b) Doctor Mossadegh.
(c) His own name.
(d) Soraya Esfandiari.
3. During World War II, Reza Khan forbid Allies' use of what, which resulted in his forcible removal as Shah?
(a) Locally-produced oil.
(b) Iran's submarine fleet.
(c) The Caspian Sea.
(d) The Trans-Iranian Railway.
4. What does the name Mahdi mean?
(a) He who does not tire or thirst.
(b) The one led by God.
(c) The persecuted minority.
(d) The bearer of the good news.
5. What kind of culture did Reza Khan urge his citizens to adopt?
(a) European modern culture.
(b) Indian Hindu culture.
(c) Traditional Sunni ways.
(d) Traditional Shiite ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are name for Shiite religious leaders?
2. Which country backed Shah Pahlavi when he wrested control away from Doctor Mossadegh?
3. According to Kapuscinski, why do countries like Iran come to reject internationalism?
4. About how far away is Qom from Tehran?
5. Which religion is the state religion of Iran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crisis of manpower was experienced during the Great Civilization?
2. Why and how is Doctor Mossadegh forced from office?
3. Who is the "Twelfth Imam," and why is this figure important in Shiism?
4. What is the nature of the political cartoon depicted in Photograph 12? What is its message?
5. How does the Shah respond once he is restored to power after Mossadegh is exiled?
6. What is the story, as told through Kapuscinski examining a photograph, of the grandfather of the last Shah of Iran, Mohammed Reza Pahlavi?
7. What effect does existing Iranian infrastructure have on Great Civilization initiatives?
8. Describe why Kapuscinski feels that Shiism and Iranian culture were well-matched.
9. What is the state of international tourism in Iran at the start of Shah and Shahs?
10. Describe the important event of December 23, 1973, as it relates to Iranian history.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)