|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country provided support and encouragement to Reza Khan for his overthrow of the Persian government?
(b) United States.
(d) Saudi Arabia.
2. Which city did Shah Agha Mohammed Khan famously order a massacre for?
3. What is the capital of Iran?
4. Members of the Shah's retinue sometimes elect to have lunch flown in by which company?
(a) British Airways.
(b) Air France.
(c) American Airlines.
5. What kind of culture did Reza Khan urge his citizens to adopt?
(a) Traditional Sunni ways.
(b) European modern culture.
(c) Traditional Shiite ways.
(d) Indian Hindu culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Khomeini's title?
2. Shiites know members of Ali's family line by what name?
3. Doctor Mossadegh importantly nationalized which industry in Iran?
4. During World War II, Reza Khan forbid Allies' use of what, which resulted in his forcible removal as Shah?
5. According to Kapuscinski, what united the Iranian and Shiite peoples?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the political cartoon depicted in Photograph 12? What is its message?
2. Around Kapuscinski's hotel, what is the state of the streets and of overall security and safety of citizens?
3. What event causes Khomeini to call for the Shah to step down as leader? What do Khomeini and others like him think of Shah Pahlavi?
4. What is Qom, and how is it associated with Ayatollah Khomeini?
5. Who were the petro-bourgeoisie?
6. Describe briefly the tactics and strategy of the Savak.
7. What is the story, as told through Kapuscinski examining a photograph, of the grandfather of the last Shah of Iran, Mohammed Reza Pahlavi?
8. Describe Reza Khan's activities and background prior to becoming Shah. Include the Persian Cossack Brigade in your response.
9. What effect does the immigration of foreigners during the Great Civilization have on the common Iranian people?
10. Describe the photograph involving the scene at the bus stop (Photograph 7).
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)