|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the mid 1950s, whose name does Shah Pahlavi forbid to be spoken?
(a) His own name.
(b) Doctor Mossadegh.
(c) Reza Khan.
(d) Soraya Esfandiari.
2. Members of the Shah's retinue sometimes elect to have lunch flown in by which company?
(a) Air France.
(b) American Airlines.
(c) British Airways.
3. Which is NOT one of the torture methods mentioned to be in use by the Savak?
(a) Drilling into skulls.
(b) Horning victims to death with a bull.
(c) Throwing a person into a bag full of hungry cats.
(d) Extracting fingernails.
4. What major event happened to Shah Reza Pahlavi in 1949?
(b) An assassination attempt.
(c) The acquisition of Afghanistan.
(d) The birth of his first daughter.
5. What is the home town of Khomeini?
6. What beverage is Kapuscinski sipping at the beginning of the book?
(d) Soda pop.
7. What are name for Shiite religious leaders?
(a) Holy Clerics.
8. Who does Reza Khan replace as a military commander in 1917?
(a) Vsevolod Lyakhov.
(b) Mohammed Reza Pahlavi.
(c) Ayatollah Khomeini.
9. What is the capital of Iran?
10. In which year was Reza Khan declared Shah by the parliament?
11. What language is spoken by the majority of Iranians?
12. What action by the Shah compels Khomeini to begin speaking out against him?
(a) The Shah extends diplomatic immunity to all U.S. military personnel.
(b) The Shah expands the Savak police force by a factor of ten.
(c) The Shah orders a massacre at Qom.
(d) The Shah enjoys an extravagant vacation in Rome.
13. Doctor Mossadegh importantly nationalized which industry in Iran?
(a) Trains and railways.
14. According to Kapuscinski, most Shahs in Iran's history have suffered what fate?
15. Which religion is the state religion of Iran?
(d) Sunni Islam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Reza Khan root for in World War II?
2. What does Shah Pahlavi call his nationwide effort to modernize Iran?
3. In Photograph 1, one of the men in the photograph murdered which well-known figure?
4. How can Doctor Mossadegh's political philosophy best be described?
5. How many informants for Savak were there?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)