|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname for the electrically heated table that the Savak use for torture?
(a) The Hotcake.
(b) The Frog Jumper.
(c) The Frying Pan.
(d) The Fever Blister.
2. Which is NOT one of the goals the Shah has for modernization?
(a) His military will greatly grow in strength and standing.
(b) Poverty in Iran will be eradicated.
(c) Iran living standards will be equal to those in Europe.
(d) Iran will become a world power.
3. In which year did Reza Khan stage an overthrow of the government?
4. What is the Savak concept of guilt and innocence?
(a) The Savak are careful to arrest only those guilty of speaking against the Shah.
(b) The Savak use the Western ideal of "innocent until proven guilty."
(c) The Savak arrest only innocent victims to create more fear.
(d) The Savak care little for guilt or innocence, and they arrest people arbitrarily.
5. What was Ali's fate?
(a) He was imprisoned for life.
(b) He died of natural causes.
(c) He fell off a horse in battle and died.
6. Reza Khan was an officer in which military organization?
(a) Savak Secret Police.
(b) Shah's Personal Bodyguards.
(c) Persian Cossack Brigade.
(d) Allied Forces of World War II.
7. Which religion is the state religion of Iran?
(d) Sunni Islam.
8. What for Kapuscinski symbolizes the promise of easy wealth and power for Middle Easterners, particularly the poor?
(b) Fine clothes.
9. Which country provided support and encouragement to Reza Khan for his overthrow of the Persian government?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
(d) United States.
10. What is the home town of Khomeini?
11. In "Cards, Faces, Fields of Flowers," what is Khomeini asking of the Iranian people in a televised speech?
(a) To murder Shiite muslims.
(b) To embrace foreign influence.
(c) To reject foreign influence.
(d) To reject the currency of the Shah.
12. Who did Reza Khan root for in World War II?
(a) Churchill and Great Britain.
(b) Mussolini and the Italians.
(c) Roosevelt and the Americans.
(d) Hitler and Germany.
13. What is the capital of Iran?
14. Who does Shah Pahlavi deliver his December 23, 1973 speech to?
(a) U.S. diplomats.
(b) The city of Qom.
(d) A gathering of Sunni Muslim leaders.
15. What aspect of modernization gives rise to the "petro-bourgeoisie"?
(a) Nuclear energy.
(b) Military spending.
(d) Religious devotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shah Pahlavi's "first love" according to Kapuscinski?
2. Members of the Shah's retinue sometimes elect to have lunch flown in by which company?
3. How can Doctor Mossadegh's political philosophy best be described?
4. What kind of culture did Reza Khan urge his citizens to adopt?
5. Which historical figure is second only to the Prophet Mohammed in the eyes of Shiite Muslims?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)