|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Cards, Faces, Fields of Flowers," what is Khomeini asking of the Iranian people in a televised speech?
(a) To reject the currency of the Shah.
(b) To reject foreign influence.
(c) To murder Shiite muslims.
(d) To embrace foreign influence.
2. According to Kapuscinski, what united the Iranian and Shiite peoples?
(a) History of democratic equality.
(b) Love of wealth.
(c) Disdain for Ali.
(d) History of oppression.
3. What is the nickname for the electrically heated table that the Savak use for torture?
(a) The Frying Pan.
(b) The Hotcake.
(c) The Fever Blister.
(d) The Frog Jumper.
4. Who does Reza Khan replace as a military commander in 1917?
(a) Ayatollah Khomeini.
(b) Mohammed Reza Pahlavi.
(c) Vsevolod Lyakhov.
5. Where do members of the Shah's retinue travel to on a regular basis to have lunch?
6. What major event happened to Shah Reza Pahlavi in 1949?
(b) The birth of his first daughter.
(c) An assassination attempt.
(d) The acquisition of Afghanistan.
7. What is Shah Pahlavi's "first love" according to Kapuscinski?
(a) Domestic concerns.
(b) The religion of Islam.
(c) His wife.
(d) The military.
8. Which is NOT one of the torture methods mentioned to be in use by the Savak?
(a) Horning victims to death with a bull.
(b) Throwing a person into a bag full of hungry cats.
(c) Extracting fingernails.
(d) Drilling into skulls.
9. What is Khomeini's title?
10. Who is NOT pictured in the famous picture of world leaders from the Tehran Conference?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) Joseph Stalin.
(d) Benito Mussolini.
11. What action by the Shah compels Khomeini to begin speaking out against him?
(a) The Shah orders a massacre at Qom.
(b) The Shah extends diplomatic immunity to all U.S. military personnel.
(c) The Shah enjoys an extravagant vacation in Rome.
(d) The Shah expands the Savak police force by a factor of ten.
12. What conflicting characteristics does Kapuscinski perceive in Khomeini when he sees him on television?
(a) Dead eyes, but grand, sweeping arm gestures.
(b) Lively eyes, but a curious lack of arm movement.
(c) Lively eyes, but a lack of expression.
(d) Dead eyes, but a smiling expression.
13. According to Kapuscinski, most Shahs in Iran's history have suffered what fate?
14. Photograph #1, the oldest photo Kapuscinski has, dates from around what year?
15. What brand of airplane is depicted in Photograph 11?
(b) Air Egypt.
(c) Air Alaska.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shah Pahlavi call his nationwide effort to modernize Iran?
2. What was the profession of the grandfather of Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi?
3. Shiites know members of Ali's family line by what name?
4. Which country provided support and encouragement to Reza Khan for his overthrow of the Persian government?
5. What relationship was Ali to the Prophet Mohammed?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)