|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the city streets of Tehran unsafe at night post-revolution?
(a) A toxic sludge from a chemical plant.
(b) Roaming militiamen.
(c) Starving, violent coyotes.
(d) The Shah's army enforced a strict curfew.
2. How did Iran's infrastructure change under Reza Khan's rule?
(a) Infrastructure was funded, but corruption prevented any actual improvements.
(b) Infrastructure was intentional destroyed in a bid for power.
(c) Infrastructure continued to be neglected.
(d) Infrastructure improved significantly.
3. Consuming alcohol is punishable in post-revolution Iran with what punishment?
(a) There is no law against alcohol.
(d) Public heckling.
4. What brand of airplane is depicted in Photograph 11?
(a) Air Egypt.
(d) Air Alaska.
5. Why are many billions of dollars wasted during Pahlavi's modernization?
(a) Western powers boycott the country entirely.
(b) Iran lacks the infrastructure to handle the great influx of goods.
(c) Currency transfer rates are unfavorable to Iran.
(d) A war in nearby Iraq disrupts the flow of wealth.
6. What does the name Mahdi mean?
(a) The one led by God.
(b) He who does not tire or thirst.
(c) The bearer of the good news.
(d) The persecuted minority.
7. Which class of people are not the targets of the Savak?
(a) People at every level of society are targets of Savak.
(d) The poor.
8. What kind of culture did Reza Khan urge his citizens to adopt?
(a) Traditional Sunni ways.
(b) European modern culture.
(c) Indian Hindu culture.
(d) Traditional Shiite ways.
9. What is the Savak concept of guilt and innocence?
(a) The Savak care little for guilt or innocence, and they arrest people arbitrarily.
(b) The Savak arrest only innocent victims to create more fear.
(c) The Savak use the Western ideal of "innocent until proven guilty."
(d) The Savak are careful to arrest only those guilty of speaking against the Shah.
10. Photograph #1, the oldest photo Kapuscinski has, dates from around what year?
11. How many agents of Savak were there?
12. What do the petro-bourgeoisie do to inflame the anger of poor Iranians?
(a) They build many statues of the Shah.
(b) They build mansions next to shantytowns.
(c) They enslave the poor's daughters to use for sex.
(d) They employ the poor, but then refuse to pay them for work done.
13. In Photograph 1, one of the men in the photograph murdered which well-known figure?
(a) Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi.
(b) Shah Nasr-ed-Din.
(c) Doctor Mossadegh.
(d) Soraya Esfandiari.
14. Who do the Sunnis elect to succeed the Prophet Mohammed?
(a) The emirs.
(b) A committee of commoners.
(c) The caliphs.
15. What are name for Shiite religious leaders?
(d) Holy Clerics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname for the electrically heated table that the Savak use for torture?
2. Who aids Shah Pahlavi in his buildup of the military after he retakes his throne from Mossadegh?
3. Reza Khan was an officer in which military organization?
4. How does world media respond to Shah Pahlavi's attempts to modernize Iran?
5. In Photograph 7, why is the old man taken away from the bus stop?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)