|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Shiite Muslims wish to succeed the Prophet Mohammed after he died?
(a) Agha Khan.
2. How does Shah Pahlavi demonstrate his love for the military and weapons?
(a) He insists on traveling everywhere in a tank.
(b) He holds a yearly marksmanship contest.
(c) He invades Pakistan just to prove the strength of his arms.
(d) He subscribes to many American gun magazines.
3. What kind of culture did Reza Khan urge his citizens to adopt?
(a) Traditional Shiite ways.
(b) Traditional Sunni ways.
(c) Indian Hindu culture.
(d) European modern culture.
4. Agha Mohammed Khan, during a massacre, ordered what fate for the children of the town?
(a) They were beheaded.
(b) They were left unharmed.
(c) Their legs were severed.
(d) They were blinded.
5. What brand of airplane is depicted in Photograph 11?
(a) Air Egypt.
(b) Air Alaska.
6. What does the name Mahdi mean?
(a) The bearer of the good news.
(b) The persecuted minority.
(c) The one led by God.
(d) He who does not tire or thirst.
7. During World War II, Reza Khan forbid Allies' use of what, which resulted in his forcible removal as Shah?
(a) Iran's submarine fleet.
(b) The Caspian Sea.
(c) The Trans-Iranian Railway.
(d) Locally-produced oil.
8. What is the Savak concept of guilt and innocence?
(a) The Savak use the Western ideal of "innocent until proven guilty."
(b) The Savak care little for guilt or innocence, and they arrest people arbitrarily.
(c) The Savak arrest only innocent victims to create more fear.
(d) The Savak are careful to arrest only those guilty of speaking against the Shah.
9. Shiites know members of Ali's family line by what name?
10. How many informants for Savak were there?
(a) Thirty thousand.
(b) Three thousand.
(c) Three million.
(d) Three hundred.
11. Which country provided support and encouragement to Reza Khan for his overthrow of the Persian government?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
(d) United States.
12. What aspect of Iran is ignored by world media during Shah Pahlavi's modernization efforts?
(a) The increase in the price of oil.
(b) The buildup of nuclear power.
(c) The fabulous amount of wealth pouring into and out of the country.
(d) Poverty and oppression.
13. What do the petro-bourgeoisie do to inflame the anger of poor Iranians?
(a) They employ the poor, but then refuse to pay them for work done.
(b) They build mansions next to shantytowns.
(c) They enslave the poor's daughters to use for sex.
(d) They build many statues of the Shah.
14. What is Mohammed Reza Pahlavi's age when he becomes Shah?
15. At the opening of the book, what activity are the four staff members in the lobby participating in?
(b) Playing cards.
(c) Murdering a young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does world media respond to Shah Pahlavi's attempts to modernize Iran?
2. How has international tourism changed since the coming of Khomeini?
3. Where do members of the Shah's retinue travel to on a regular basis to have lunch?
4. What language is spoken by the majority of Iranians?
5. What is the home town of Khomeini?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)