|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Daguerreotypes, pages 61 to 78.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there a dearth of manpower for the modernization initiatives of Shah Pahlavi?
(a) Many have died from a plague.
(b) International immigration has ceased.
(c) The Savak have arrested nearly half of the population.
(d) Students have fled the country's oppression.
2. What does the name Mahdi mean?
(a) The persecuted minority.
(b) The one led by God.
(c) The bearer of the good news.
(d) He who does not tire or thirst.
3. Where does Kapuscinski trace modern terrorism to?
(a) American capitalist meddling.
(b) Iranian Shiism.
(c) Saudi Arabian Sunni Muslims.
(d) Britain's decision to depose Shah Reza Khan.
4. Which religion is the state religion of Iran?
(d) Sunni Islam.
5. At the beginning of the book, where is the author located?
(a) A prison.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A television station.
(d) A bazaar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pahlavi do when confronted with a crisis of manpower during modernization?
2. How many informants for Savak were there?
3. At the opening of the book, what activity are the four staff members in the lobby participating in?
4. How can Doctor Mossadegh's political philosophy best be described?
5. What emotion does the Savak use to control the population?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)