|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threw a stick at a moose and the moose charged?
2. Who trained the best sled dogs, all one quarter wolf?
3. In what year was Sidney 18?
4. On the Fourth of July who surprisingly won the local canoe race?
5. In Chapter 18 "Sled Dogs," Sidney described taking his __ year old son Carl trapping.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
2. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
3. What happened when Sidney went to enlist in the army after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941?
4. What happened with Sidney and alcohol?
5. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
6. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
7. Who is Edwin Simon?
8. Who was Ben Derrick?
9. According to Chapter 13, "On Our Own," what happened one October when Jimmy was bear hunting and he tracked a bear to its den?
10. What happened in the story Golchik told Sidney about spearing a grizzly bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney reflects in the last chapter of the book about his life. What does Sidney reflect on in this last chapter and what do these reflections reveal about him, his family, and his willingness to help others become more than their circumstances in the Koyukuk?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney and Jimmy get married more than once. Who are the wives? How do they meet each one? Do they have any kids? Do they stay together? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
A flood takes away all of the family's possession in 1928. What caused the flood? How did the family escape? Why did they lose everything? How did they recover before winter? Who helped the family recover so they had all they needed before winter?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)