|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Jimmy tow fuel for military planes?
2. In Chapter 18 "Sled Dogs," Sidney described taking his __ year old son Carl trapping.
3. Who trained the best sled dogs, all one quarter wolf?
4. On the Fourth of July who surprisingly won the local canoe race?
5. In what year did the mining company bring in a gold mining dredge and Sidney worked as foreman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
2. Who is Johnny Oldman?
3. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
4. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
5. What happened when Sidney went to enlist in the army after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941?
6. What happened with Sidney and alcohol?
7. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
8. What happened in the story Golchik told Sidney about spearing a grizzly bear?
9. Why was Sidney's dad at the Alaska Pioneer's Home and why did he leave?
10. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney reflects in the last chapter of the book about his life. What does Sidney reflect on in this last chapter and what do these reflections reveal about him, his family, and his willingness to help others become more than their circumstances in the Koyukuk?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney talks about his sons. What does he share about his sons, including events involving Carl, Arnold, and Gilbert?
Essay Topic 3
In one chapter, Sidney talks about Edwin Simon and how his "three lives" embody the changes in the Athapaskan culture. Who are the Athapaskan? Who is Edwin Simon? What are these "three lives," and when do they occur? How do they embody the changes in the Athapaskan culture?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)