|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his month off from service to his government what elder traveled with Sidney on his hunting trip for a "last hunt?"
2. Moose hunting became a yearly tradition with Sidney's family, but the moose population began to thin due to wolves in the ___.
3. Following survival advice, Sidney described how he built one fire to melt the snow, dry green branches and __.
4. In what year did Sidney and Charlie, his dad's partner, go upstream looking for better trapping prospects and find moose tracks?
5. How many moose killed by wolves were found in 1956 with the meat barely touched?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 13, "On Our Own," what happened one October when Jimmy was bear hunting and he tracked a bear to its den?
2. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
3. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
4. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
5. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
6. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
7. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
8. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
9. Who is Edwin Simon?
10. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney talks about three Charlies in the book: Charlie Swanson, Charlie Irish, and Charlie Evans. Explain where each Charlie first comes into Sidney's life, what impact each has on Sidney's life and why, and then consider how Sidney's life might have been different without contact with each Charlie.
Essay Topic 2
Deep cold can be dangerous in Alaska. How does Sidney convey the danger and hazards of deep cold in Chapter 9? What key factors make deep cold so hazardous? What precautions and safeguards did Sidney and others use to survive in deep cold?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney talks about his sons. What does he share about his sons, including events involving Carl, Arnold, and Gilbert?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)