|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18 "Sled Dogs," Sidney described taking his __ year old son Carl trapping.
2. The Galena AFB turned this small village of 35 into a city of ____.
3. In what year did Sidney quit drinking?
4. "Siwashing out" means living off the land without what?
5. In his sixties in the 1980s, Sidney went trapping for the highly sought lynx fur and earned how much money selling them?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Donald Stickman found 12 moose killed by wolves, how was the wolf population "controlled?"
2. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
3. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
4. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
5. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
6. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
7. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
8. According to Chapter 16, "Siwash," what did Sidney do after he got lost while tracking and trapping a marten?
9. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
10. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one chapter, Sidney talks about Edwin Simon and how his "three lives" embody the changes in the Athapaskan culture. Who are the Athapaskan? Who is Edwin Simon? What are these "three lives," and when do they occur? How do they embody the changes in the Athapaskan culture?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney spends time at the Anvik Mission. During his young life he spends time at several more missions. How did these experiences shape his life in regard to his education and his willingness to help others as a child, as a young man, and as an older adult?
Essay Topic 3
How did moose hunting become a yearly tradition for Sidney and his family? What surprised Sidney about a moose he shot from his boat? How does Sidney describe what he thinks facilitated moose migration into the Koyukuk?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)