|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the mining company bring in a gold mining dredge and Sidney worked as foreman?
2. Where was Sidney when he saw a pink elephant caused by his excessive drinking?
3. According to Sidney, when did Edwin Simon experience and use things like motorboats, oil, gas and buying food at trading posts?
4. What family business did Sidney have to fight through the bureaucracy to make legal?
5. In what year did Sidney have heart trouble and a triple bypass?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Donald Stickman found 12 moose killed by wolves, how was the wolf population "controlled?"
2. According to Chapter 16, "Siwash," what did Sidney do after he got lost while tracking and trapping a marten?
3. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
4. Why was Sidney's dad at the Alaska Pioneer's Home and why did he leave?
5. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
6. Who was Ben Derrick?
7. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
8. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
9. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
10. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney and Jimmy get married more than once. Who are the wives? How do they meet each one? Do they have any kids? Do they stay together? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 17 is mostly about gold in Koyukuk. Explain how Koyukuk gold not only affected the people of Koyukuk in general but also how it affected the lives, specifically of Sidney, Jimmy, and their Dad.
Essay Topic 3
A flood takes away all of the family's possession in 1928. What caused the flood? How did the family escape? Why did they lose everything? How did they recover before winter? Who helped the family recover so they had all they needed before winter?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)