|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sidney's first wife's name was __.
2. The Athapaskan Indians traded everything with the white men they come in contact with except their ___ which were superior.
3. In 1934 Jimmy married ___.
4. Where was the Indian from that told Sidney a story about how storyteller's dad and partner tracked and killed some strangers?
5. Sidney's eye was replaced with a glass eye after he injured it while doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
2. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
3. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
4. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
5. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
6. According to Chapter 16, "Siwash," what did Sidney do after he got lost while tracking and trapping a marten?
7. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
8. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
9. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
10. Who is Johnny Oldman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do sled dogs play in Sidney's life? Why does Sidney think treating his dogs well helped save his life when he has an accident while Jenny is hospitalized? What does Jenny warn Sidney about when he fears a dog that attacked him? How does Sidney's brother Jimmy exhibit his skill in handling sled dogs?
Essay Topic 2
How did moose hunting become a yearly tradition for Sidney and his family? What surprised Sidney about a moose he shot from his boat? How does Sidney describe what he thinks facilitated moose migration into the Koyukuk?
Essay Topic 3
Why is tuberculosis such a big issue in rural Alaska during this time? How is it treated? What hinders recovery? What helps? Who were some of the people affected by the deaths brought on by TB? Who was impacted the most by TB and how?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)