|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Athapaskan Indians traded everything with the white men they come in contact with except their ___ which were superior.
2. Who usually won the local canoe race, according to Chapter 13 "On Our Own?"
3. Which one of Sidney's sons mistook a wolf in a trap for a sled dog and let it go?
4. Sidney met his first wife at ____.
5. In 1934 Sidney's dad went to the Alaska Pioneer Home in ___ because of failing health.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
2. Who was Ben Derrick?
3. Who is Johnny Oldman?
4. What happened when Sidney and his dad's partner, Charlie went upstream looking for better trapping prospects in 1929?
5. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
6. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
7. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
8. Who is Edwin Simon?
9. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
10. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do sled dogs play in Sidney's life? Why does Sidney think treating his dogs well helped save his life when he has an accident while Jenny is hospitalized? What does Jenny warn Sidney about when he fears a dog that attacked him? How does Sidney's brother Jimmy exhibit his skill in handling sled dogs?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney and Jimmy get married more than once. Who are the wives? How do they meet each one? Do they have any kids? Do they stay together? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney tells how he survived a night in the woods by following advice from Edwin Simon. What was this advice? How did the advice help Sidney survive the night and have enough energy to get home? In other words, why did the advice work? How was this an example of "siwashing out?"
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)