|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Koyukon rituals for animal spirits included keeping the spirits happy and not letting them ___.
2. After their dad retired from trapping, at what ages did Jimmy and Sidney go trapping on their own?
3. In Chapter 18 "Sled Dogs," Sidney described taking his __ year old son Carl trapping.
4. On his month off from service to his government what elder traveled with Sidney on his hunting trip for a "last hunt?"
5. According to details in Chapter 23 "Booze," what can lead to blindness and death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
2. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
3. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
4. What happened when Sidney went to enlist in the army after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941?
5. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
6. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
7. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
8. Who is Edwin Simon?
9. Why was Sidney's dad at the Alaska Pioneer's Home and why did he leave?
10. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deep cold can be dangerous in Alaska. How does Sidney convey the danger and hazards of deep cold in Chapter 9? What key factors make deep cold so hazardous? What precautions and safeguards did Sidney and others use to survive in deep cold?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney tells how he survived a night in the woods by following advice from Edwin Simon. What was this advice? How did the advice help Sidney survive the night and have enough energy to get home? In other words, why did the advice work? How was this an example of "siwashing out?"
Essay Topic 3
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)