|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sidney's first wife's name was __.
2. In Chapter 24 "Galena," who made fur clothes to help support their family?
3. After how many months of service to his government did Sidney take a month off to go hunting?
4. In 1941 Sidney tried to join the ___.
5. Which one of Sidney's sisters is mentioned in Chapter 23 "Booze" as dying from tuberculosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
2. What happened when Sidney went to enlist in the army after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941?
3. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
4. What happened when Sidney and his dad's partner, Charlie went upstream looking for better trapping prospects in 1929?
5. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
6. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
7. According to Chapter 13, "On Our Own," what happened one October when Jimmy was bear hunting and he tracked a bear to its den?
8. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
9. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
10. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do sled dogs play in Sidney's life? Why does Sidney think treating his dogs well helped save his life when he has an accident while Jenny is hospitalized? What does Jenny warn Sidney about when he fears a dog that attacked him? How does Sidney's brother Jimmy exhibit his skill in handling sled dogs?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book Sidney describes various ways to travel in rural Alaska as well as his first time experiences with things like cars and trains. First describe the various ways to travel in rural Alaska. Cite at least one example of how Sidney describes this mode of travel being used. Then describe what is considered the best mode of travel in rural Alaska. Next describe Sidney's first contact with a train and seeing a car.
Essay Topic 3
Sidney learns about spear hunting grizzly bears. How does he learn about this method? What is involved in this method? Also, explain how Sidney catches a grizzly using a snare and why he did it?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)