|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to details in Chapter 23 "Booze," what can lead to blindness and death?
2. In 1934 Sidney's dad went to the Alaska Pioneer Home in ___ because of failing health.
3. Who trained the best sled dogs, all one quarter wolf?
4. The Koyukon rituals for animal spirits included keeping the spirits happy and not letting them ___.
5. Who found several moose killed by wolves with most of the meat barely touched?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
2. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
3. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
4. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
5. Why was Sidney's dad at the Alaska Pioneer's Home and why did he leave?
6. What happened when Sidney and his dad's partner, Charlie went upstream looking for better trapping prospects in 1929?
7. According to Chapter 13, "On Our Own," what happened one October when Jimmy was bear hunting and he tracked a bear to its den?
8. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
9. Who is Johnny Oldman?
10. Who was Ben Derrick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
Essay Topic 2
How did moose hunting become a yearly tradition for Sidney and his family? What surprised Sidney about a moose he shot from his boat? How does Sidney describe what he thinks facilitated moose migration into the Koyukuk?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney talks about three Charlies in the book: Charlie Swanson, Charlie Irish, and Charlie Evans. Explain where each Charlie first comes into Sidney's life, what impact each has on Sidney's life and why, and then consider how Sidney's life might have been different without contact with each Charlie.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)