|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Galena AFB turned this small village of 35 into a city of ____.
2. In what year did the mining company bring in a gold mining dredge and Sidney worked as foreman?
3. Jimmy died in _____.
4. How old was the girl Sidney described as getting her clothes wet and when he offered her a blanket while her clothes dried by the fire he was stopped so she could get "strong?"
5. In what year was Sidney appointed to the Alaska Board of Fish and Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
2. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
3. Who was Ben Derrick?
4. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
5. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
6. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
7. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
8. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
9. According to Chapter 16, "Siwash," what did Sidney do after he got lost while tracking and trapping a marten?
10. Why was Sidney's dad at the Alaska Pioneer's Home and why did he leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book Sidney describes various ways to travel in rural Alaska as well as his first time experiences with things like cars and trains. First describe the various ways to travel in rural Alaska. Cite at least one example of how Sidney describes this mode of travel being used. Then describe what is considered the best mode of travel in rural Alaska. Next describe Sidney's first contact with a train and seeing a car.
Essay Topic 2
Sidney and Jimmy get married more than once. Who are the wives? How do they meet each one? Do they have any kids? Do they stay together? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney spends time at the Anvik Mission. During his young life he spends time at several more missions. How did these experiences shape his life in regard to his education and his willingness to help others as a child, as a young man, and as an older adult?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)