|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Sidney about evidence of strangers and how the storyteller's dad and another tracked and killed the strangers?
2. How many wolves were killed during the re-balancing process described by Sidney in Chapter 22 "Koyukuk Wolves?"
3. Sidney was 18, and after exploring the former ___ he decided to hunt there.
4. After their dad retired from trapping, at what ages did Jimmy and Sidney go trapping on their own?
5. Charlie amazed Sidney by felling a moose from __ yards away.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Johnny Oldman?
2. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
3. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
4. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
5. According to Chapter 16, "Siwash," what did Sidney do after he got lost while tracking and trapping a marten?
6. What happened when Sidney and his dad's partner, Charlie went upstream looking for better trapping prospects in 1929?
7. What happened with Sidney and alcohol?
8. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
9. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
10. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deep cold can be dangerous in Alaska. How does Sidney convey the danger and hazards of deep cold in Chapter 9? What key factors make deep cold so hazardous? What precautions and safeguards did Sidney and others use to survive in deep cold?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book Sidney describes various ways to travel in rural Alaska as well as his first time experiences with things like cars and trains. First describe the various ways to travel in rural Alaska. Cite at least one example of how Sidney describes this mode of travel being used. Then describe what is considered the best mode of travel in rural Alaska. Next describe Sidney's first contact with a train and seeing a car.
Essay Topic 3
Sidney learns about spear hunting grizzly bears. How does he learn about this method? What is involved in this method? Also, explain how Sidney catches a grizzly using a snare and why he did it?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)