|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In ___ Sidney went to work for a mining company, drilling at his dad's former claim.
2. According to details in Chapter 23 "Booze," what can lead to blindness and death?
3. How many moose killed by wolves were found in 1956 with the meat barely touched?
4. Whose fourteen kids died of tuberculosis?
5. At what age did Sidney fight a boy for calling him a half breed dirty coward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
2. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
3. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
4. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
5. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
6. Who is Edwin Simon?
7. Who is Johnny Oldman?
8. Who was Ben Derrick?
9. What happened when Sidney and his dad's partner, Charlie went upstream looking for better trapping prospects in 1929?
10. What happened when Sidney went to enlist in the army after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first few chapters of the book Sidney describes his life in Koyukuk as a young child under the age of six. Explain the challenges Sidney faced at this time in his life, including his mother's death, getting help for his sick dad, and his habit of wandering off at a young age. Also discuss how Sidney deals with each challenge.
Essay Topic 2
Sidney talks about three Charlies in the book: Charlie Swanson, Charlie Irish, and Charlie Evans. Explain where each Charlie first comes into Sidney's life, what impact each has on Sidney's life and why, and then consider how Sidney's life might have been different without contact with each Charlie.
Essay Topic 3
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)