|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Sidney when he saw a pink elephant caused by his excessive drinking?
2. After how many months of service to his government did Sidney take a month off to go hunting?
3. Sidney's first wife's name was __.
4. Who had five of their six kids die from tuberculosis?
5. Jimmy died in _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
2. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
3. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
4. Who was Ben Derrick?
5. After Donald Stickman found 12 moose killed by wolves, how was the wolf population "controlled?"
6. What happened in the story Golchik told Sidney about spearing a grizzly bear?
7. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
8. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
9. What happened when Sidney went to enlist in the army after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941?
10. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney learns about spear hunting grizzly bears. How does he learn about this method? What is involved in this method? Also, explain how Sidney catches a grizzly using a snare and why he did it?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sidney learn to become a carpenter and end up doing work in Galena? During this time the family builds a salmon fishing business and then a salmon smokehouse. How does each business come about and why does Sidney sell the fishing business at some point?
Essay Topic 3
How did moose hunting become a yearly tradition for Sidney and his family? What surprised Sidney about a moose he shot from his boat? How does Sidney describe what he thinks facilitated moose migration into the Koyukuk?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)