|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose fourteen kids died of tuberculosis?
2. Who is the Koyukon elder Sidney visited in the hospital who talked about letting the weak and the sick die so only the strong survived?
3. In Chapter 18 "Sled Dogs," Sidney described taking his __ year old son Carl trapping.
4. In ___ Sidney went to work for a mining company, drilling at his dad's former claim.
5. The Athapaskan Indians traded everything with the white men they come in contact with except their ___ which were superior.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sidney learn to become a carpenter and end up doing work in Galena? During this time the family builds a salmon fishing business and then a salmon smokehouse. How does each business come about and why does Sidney sell the fishing business at some point?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney talks about three Charlies in the book: Charlie Swanson, Charlie Irish, and Charlie Evans. Explain where each Charlie first comes into Sidney's life, what impact each has on Sidney's life and why, and then consider how Sidney's life might have been different without contact with each Charlie.
Essay Topic 3
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)