|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sidney, when did Edwin Simon experience and use things like motorboats, oil, gas and buying food at trading posts?
2. In what year did Sidney have heart trouble and a triple bypass?
3. Where was Sidney when he saw a pink elephant caused by his excessive drinking?
4. After their dad retired from trapping, at what ages did Jimmy and Sidney go trapping on their own?
5. On his month off from service to his government what elder traveled with Sidney on his hunting trip for a "last hunt?"
Short Essay Questions
1. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
2. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
3. What happened with Sidney and alcohol?
4. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
5. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
6. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
7. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
8. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
9. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
10. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beavers are a favored prey for hunters. Discuss why Sidney and others like hunting them, how they are hunted, and what led to beavers almost being killed off. Also provide details about how beavers are skinned and cleaned and what the people do because they believe it will ensure the beaver population does not become extinct.
Essay Topic 2
How did moose hunting become a yearly tradition for Sidney and his family? What surprised Sidney about a moose he shot from his boat? How does Sidney describe what he thinks facilitated moose migration into the Koyukuk?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney spends time at the Anvik Mission. During his young life he spends time at several more missions. How did these experiences shape his life in regard to his education and his willingness to help others as a child, as a young man, and as an older adult?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)