|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Sidney and Charlie, his dad's partner, go upstream looking for better trapping prospects and find moose tracks?
2. In what year did Jimmy tow fuel for military planes?
3. In what year was Edwin Simon born?
4. Whose nickname was "Huslia Hustler" for always winning dog sled races?
5. On his month off from service to his government what elder traveled with Sidney on his hunting trip for a "last hunt?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
2. What happened in the story Golchik told Sidney about spearing a grizzly bear?
3. What happened when Sidney and his dad's partner, Charlie went upstream looking for better trapping prospects in 1929?
4. Who is Johnny Oldman?
5. In 1937 what happened after Sidney killed a moose for his uncle Hog River Johnny?
6. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
7. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
8. According to Chapter 16, "Siwash," what did Sidney do after he got lost while tracking and trapping a marten?
9. After Donald Stickman found 12 moose killed by wolves, how was the wolf population "controlled?"
10. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney reflects in the last chapter of the book about his life. What does Sidney reflect on in this last chapter and what do these reflections reveal about him, his family, and his willingness to help others become more than their circumstances in the Koyukuk?
Essay Topic 2
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney learns about spear hunting grizzly bears. How does he learn about this method? What is involved in this method? Also, explain how Sidney catches a grizzly using a snare and why he did it?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)