|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jimmy got married in 1934, he went to live with his wife's family where?
2. Which one of Sidney's sisters is mentioned in Chapter 23 "Booze" as dying from tuberculosis?
3. "Siwashing out" means living off the land without what?
4. In what year was Sidney 18?
5. What did Sidney do with the green branches that he dried in one fire after he built a second fire, when he had to stay outside overnight in the cold?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
2. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
3. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
4. After Donald Stickman found 12 moose killed by wolves, how was the wolf population "controlled?"
5. Who was Ben Derrick?
6. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
7. What happened when Sidney went to enlist in the army after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941?
8. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
9. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
10. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did wolves factor into the thinning moose population in Koyukuk? What role did Donald Stickman play in wolf population control? How does Sidney describe the controversy that existed over the several years about wolf control practices?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 17 is mostly about gold in Koyukuk. Explain how Koyukuk gold not only affected the people of Koyukuk in general but also how it affected the lives, specifically of Sidney, Jimmy, and their Dad.
Essay Topic 3
How does Sidney learn to become a carpenter and end up doing work in Galena? During this time the family builds a salmon fishing business and then a salmon smokehouse. How does each business come about and why does Sidney sell the fishing business at some point?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)