|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sidney's first wife's name was __.
2. The Koyukon rituals for animal spirits included keeping the spirits happy and not letting them ___.
3. According to Sidney, when did Edwin Simon experience and use things like motorboats, oil, gas and buying food at trading posts?
4. In what year did Sidney quit drinking?
5. What family business did Sidney have to fight through the bureaucracy to make legal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Herman Lerdahl?
2. Who was Ben Derrick?
3. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
4. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
5. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
6. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
7. Who is Edwin Simon?
8. After Donald Stickman found 12 moose killed by wolves, how was the wolf population "controlled?"
9. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
10. According to Chapter 13, "On Our Own," what happened one October when Jimmy was bear hunting and he tracked a bear to its den?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deep cold can be dangerous in Alaska. How does Sidney convey the danger and hazards of deep cold in Chapter 9? What key factors make deep cold so hazardous? What precautions and safeguards did Sidney and others use to survive in deep cold?
Essay Topic 2
In the first few chapters of the book Sidney describes his life in Koyukuk as a young child under the age of six. Explain the challenges Sidney faced at this time in his life, including his mother's death, getting help for his sick dad, and his habit of wandering off at a young age. Also discuss how Sidney deals with each challenge.
Essay Topic 3
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)