|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jimmy died in _____.
2. Who had five of their six kids die from tuberculosis?
3. Who told Sidney about evidence of strangers and how the storyteller's dad and another tracked and killed the strangers?
4. Who trained the best sled dogs, all one quarter wolf?
5. What did Jimmy and Sidney name the 30 foot boat that they built together as described in Chapter 13 "On Our Own?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Sidney explored the former No Man's Land?
2. As described in Chapter 21, "Koyukuk Moose," what happened when Sidney's family was out hunting moose in their boat?
3. Who was Ben Derrick?
4. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
5. Who is Johnny Oldman?
6. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
7. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
8. Who is Edwin Simon?
9. What happened when Sidney and his dad's partner, Charlie went upstream looking for better trapping prospects in 1929?
10. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beavers are a favored prey for hunters. Discuss why Sidney and others like hunting them, how they are hunted, and what led to beavers almost being killed off. Also provide details about how beavers are skinned and cleaned and what the people do because they believe it will ensure the beaver population does not become extinct.
Essay Topic 2
In one chapter, Sidney talks about Edwin Simon and how his "three lives" embody the changes in the Athapaskan culture. Who are the Athapaskan? Who is Edwin Simon? What are these "three lives," and when do they occur? How do they embody the changes in the Athapaskan culture?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney learns about spear hunting grizzly bears. How does he learn about this method? What is involved in this method? Also, explain how Sidney catches a grizzly using a snare and why he did it?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)