|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sidney taught his kids to hunt, which son killed a bull moose with a bow and arrow?
2. In ___ Sidney went to work for a mining company, drilling at his dad's former claim.
3. In 1941 Sidney tried to join the ___.
4. Two Eskimos came upon Sidney dressing caribou and advised him to cut off what part of the carcass since wolves subsisted off these long-lasting parts?
5. Charlie amazed Sidney by felling a moose from __ yards away.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sidney address the Alaska Board of Education about paying for rural schools in areas with low population?
2. After Donald Stickman found 12 moose killed by wolves, how was the wolf population "controlled?"
3. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
4. How did tuberculosis affect Sidney's and his uncles' families?
5. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
6. Why did publishers change the ages of Sidney and his siblings at the time of Anna's death in both Sidney's and Jimmy's autobiographies?
7. Who was Ben Derrick?
8. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
9. Why did two Eskimos tell Sidney to cut off the hooves of a caribou when they came upon him dressing the caribou?
10. What happened in the story Golchik told Sidney about spearing a grizzly bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney learns about spear hunting grizzly bears. How does he learn about this method? What is involved in this method? Also, explain how Sidney catches a grizzly using a snare and why he did it?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book Sidney describes various ways to travel in rural Alaska as well as his first time experiences with things like cars and trains. First describe the various ways to travel in rural Alaska. Cite at least one example of how Sidney describes this mode of travel being used. Then describe what is considered the best mode of travel in rural Alaska. Next describe Sidney's first contact with a train and seeing a car.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 17 is mostly about gold in Koyukuk. Explain how Koyukuk gold not only affected the people of Koyukuk in general but also how it affected the lives, specifically of Sidney, Jimmy, and their Dad.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)