|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sidney, when did Edwin Simon experience and use things like motorboats, oil, gas and buying food at trading posts?
2. In Chapter 24 "Galena," who made fur clothes to help support their family?
3. In 1934 Jimmy married ___.
4. In 1939 Sidney and Jimmy built a ___ foot boat.
5. What did Sidney do with the green branches that he dried in one fire after he built a second fire, when he had to stay outside overnight in the cold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Edwin Simon?
2. Who was Ben Derrick?
3. According to Chapter 16, "Siwash," what did Sidney do after he got lost while tracking and trapping a marten?
4. What happened when Sidney and Jimmy went beaver hunting in the mid-1930s?
5. What did Sidney do when he learned an instrument?
6. How did Sidney describe the killing of passive beavers by his uncle and his uncle's wife?
7. Who is Johnny Oldman?
8. What happened with Sidney and alcohol?
9. What is the Koyukon Indian's attitude about animal spirits?
10. What happened when Sidney's dad dug for gold at Bear Creek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney spends time at the Anvik Mission. During his young life he spends time at several more missions. How did these experiences shape his life in regard to his education and his willingness to help others as a child, as a young man, and as an older adult?
Essay Topic 2
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 17 is mostly about gold in Koyukuk. Explain how Koyukuk gold not only affected the people of Koyukuk in general but also how it affected the lives, specifically of Sidney, Jimmy, and their Dad.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)