|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sidney's dad, James S. Huntington, deliver by dog sled as part of his job when he first came to the Koyukuk?
2. Sidney's family was still short $___ to buy winter supplies and equipment after everything they did to earn cash after the flood.
3. Sidney helped ___ fix a boat engine while his dad was at the trapping grounds.
4. When Sidney checked his traps during sub-freezing temperatures while at the Batza River he found a ___ in one of his traps and killed it for its fur.
5. Homer and Sidney became good friends but this ended when Homer died in ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helped Sidney build his boat and when was the boat completed, according to Chapter 10, "My First Boat?"
2. Why was the family left with only money from fur trading done in Tanana after the flood?
3. What happened in Chapter 3, "Three Babes," after Anna took her three youngest children hunting and fishing?
4. When did Sidney decide to build a boat according to Chapter 10, "My First Boat," and what did he do?
5. How did Joe Stickman help Sidney's family after the flood?
6. Why was Jimmy hospitalized for six months in Eklutna?
7. What happened when Anna's step dad came home after the trial?
8. In Alatna, who were Kitty and Abraham?
9. What did Sidney describe about a census taker and his guide?
10. How did Sidney's family protect their belongings from a flood described in Chapter 11, "The Flood?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Prohibition? How did Prohibition affect rural Alaska? How did it affect Sidney and Jimmy? What are some of the effects of bad liquor? Of alcohol abuse? How was Sidney's life impacted by his alcohol abuse? Why and when did Sidney stop drinking?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney spends time at the Anvik Mission. During his young life he spends time at several more missions. How did these experiences shape his life in regard to his education and his willingness to help others as a child, as a young man, and as an older adult?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney and Jimmy get married more than once. Who are the wives? How do they meet each one? Do they have any kids? Do they stay together? If not, why not?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)