|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sidney's last year of formal schooling as a kid was what grade?
2. In what year was Sidney Huntington born?
3. Anticipating the depression, Sidney and his dad traveled to the town of Tanana, population ____, to sell off furs while the prices were high.
4. Sidney and his siblings consumed canned ___ from the trading post after their mom died.
5. In what year did Sidney visit Anchorage and see his first movie and first car?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 8, "The Batza River Trapline," what did Sidney and his dad do one year in March in anticipation of a coming depression?
2. According to Chapter 8, "The Batza River Trapline," how did Sidney and Jimmy help the family prepare for winter?
3. Why did the relationship between Victor and Ned come to murder?
4. What happened when Anna's step dad came home after the trial?
5. How did Sidney's family escape the flood after they realized it would rise higher than they originally anticipated?
6. Sidney heard rifle shots when he was 12. Why were the Nulato firing these shots?
7. What happened in Chapter 3, "Three Babes," after Anna took her three youngest children hunting and fishing?
8. What relationship did Homer and Sidney have, and why did it end?
9. How did the Collins boys come to be at the Anvik Mission?
10. What are "kallyhocuses" and why was Sidney told about them as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sidney learns about spear hunting grizzly bears. How does he learn about this method? What is involved in this method? Also, explain how Sidney catches a grizzly using a snare and why he did it?
Essay Topic 2
Sidney and Jimmy get married more than once. Who are the wives? How do they meet each one? Do they have any kids? Do they stay together? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Deep cold can be dangerous in Alaska. How does Sidney convey the danger and hazards of deep cold in Chapter 9? What key factors make deep cold so hazardous? What precautions and safeguards did Sidney and others use to survive in deep cold?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)