|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the riverboat to Alatna, Sidney and his dad visited whose grave?
2. Sidney finished building his boat at the Batza River how many days before the ice on the river broke?
3. What Indian introduced a reluctant Sidney to traditionally prepared salmon which left Sidney smelling bad?
4. An ___ lieutenant was killed when the Koyukon Indians finally attacked the Russian fort in retaliation for their actions when they first arrived in the Koyukon area.
5. When Sidney returned from trapping in sub-freezing temperatures at the Batza River he had a bit of frostbite on his cheeks and his ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Sidney and his siblings tried to get help after Anna died?
2. Sidney heard rifle shots when he was 12. Why were the Nulato firing these shots?
3. In Alatna, who were Kitty and Abraham?
4. Why did Sidney decide to catch a grizzly in Chapter 12, "Snaring a Grizzly?"
5. What did Sidney describe about a census taker and his guide?
6. How did the steamboat passengers help reunite Sidney and his siblings with their dad after Anna died?
7. How did Sidney's family escape the flood after they realized it would rise higher than they originally anticipated?
8. According to Chapter 8, "The Batza River Trapline," why did Sidney and his family travel upriver toward Batza River?
9. How did Sidney's family protect their belongings from a flood described in Chapter 11, "The Flood?"
10. What happened when Anna's step dad came home after the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did moose hunting become a yearly tradition for Sidney and his family? What surprised Sidney about a moose he shot from his boat? How does Sidney describe what he thinks facilitated moose migration into the Koyukuk?
Essay Topic 2
Deep cold can be dangerous in Alaska. How does Sidney convey the danger and hazards of deep cold in Chapter 9? What key factors make deep cold so hazardous? What precautions and safeguards did Sidney and others use to survive in deep cold?
Essay Topic 3
Sidney tells how he survived a night in the woods by following advice from Edwin Simon. What was this advice? How did the advice help Sidney survive the night and have enough energy to get home? In other words, why did the advice work? How was this an example of "siwashing out?"
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)