|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sidney went to a potlatch where he heard a high language spoken by the tribal ___ and also learned about his status as a "Siwash."
2. Large pieces of broken ice from the Koyukuk River ___ in the river causing a flood.
(a) Broke up.
3. After his escape, James returned home to New York to visit whom?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mom.
(d) His father.
4. The Nulato fired rifle shots greeting guests for the funeral of Old Man __.
5. On a trip, Sidney and Jimmy passed the highest mountain in North America which is also known as ___.
(a) St. Peter Mountain.
(b) The Naked Mountain.
(c) The White Mountain.
(d) Mount McKinley.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was Aunt Sophy married?
2. Who taught Sidney and Jimmy how to make snowshoes while they were away at school near Anchorage?
3. Sidney and his young siblings set out to get help from ____ after Anna's death.
4. Sidney finished building his boat at the Batza River how many days before the ice on the river broke?
5. Once Sidney's family safely arrived at their cabin, Sidney and his dad set out to replace supplies and equipment lost in the flood, leaving __ behind to pan for gold.
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship did Homer and Sidney have, and why did it end?
2. Who helped James escape after he was arrested?
3. According to Chapter 8, "The Batza River Trapline," what did Sidney and his dad do one year in March in anticipation of a coming depression?
4. What happened when Sidney and his siblings tried to get help after Anna died?
5. When did the family restrict children to the inside during deep cold and why was a thermometer valuable?
6. What happened when the Koyukuk River ice started to break up mid-May in 1928?
7. According to Chapter 8, "The Batza River Trapline," why did Sidney and his family travel upriver toward Batza River?
8. Why did Sidney fight so much when he first arrived at the Eklutna Vocational School?
9. What did Sidney learn about his father when they spent time in Alatna?
10. Why did Anna walk 400 miles home from Nome?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)