|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1939 Sidney and Jimmy built a ___ foot boat.
2. Who had five of their six kids die from tuberculosis?
(c) Hog River Johnny.
3. At what age did Sidney fight a boy for calling him a half breed dirty coward?
4. Sidney's eye was replaced with a glass eye after he injured it while doing what?
(a) Fixing a trap.
(b) Reparing an engine.
(c) Chopping Wood.
(d) Driving a dog sled.
5. In what year was Sidney 18?
6. In what year did Sidney and Charlie, his dad's partner, go upstream looking for better trapping prospects and find moose tracks?
7. In what year was Sidney appointed to the Alaska Board of Fish and Game?
8. Who usually won the local canoe race, according to Chapter 13 "On Our Own?"
(a) Charlie Swanson.
(b) Charlie Evans.
(c) Joe Stickman.
(d) Hog River Johnny.
9. "Siwashing out" means living off the land without what?
(b) Half breeds.
(d) Other People.
10. How old was the girl Sidney described as getting her clothes wet and when he offered her a blanket while her clothes dried by the fire he was stopped so she could get "strong?"
(a) 3 years old.
(b) 6 years old.
(c) 4 years old.
(d) 8 years old.
11. How many pounds did the moose weigh that Sidney shot while he and his family were on their boat?
12. After their dad retired from trapping, at what ages did Jimmy and Sidney go trapping on their own?
(a) 15 and 16.
(b) 14 and 16.
(c) 13 and 16.
(d) 16 and 17.
13. What was the name of Sidney's second wife?
14. When Sidney taught his kids to hunt, which son killed a bull moose with a bow and arrow?
15. Following survival advice, Sidney described how he built one fire to melt the snow, dry green branches and __.
(a) Keep him warm.
(b) Bare the ground.
(c) Cook food.
(d) Keep animals away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Koyukon elder Sidney visited in the hospital who talked about letting the weak and the sick die so only the strong survived?
2. How did Weaselheart kill passive beavers with his wife's help?
3. Who threw a stick at a moose and the moose charged?
4. Sidney's first wife's name was __.
5. Jimmy died in _____.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)