|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the last name of the census worker that had to stay with Sidney's family at the Batza River?
2. Sidney and his dad traveled upriver to Alatna because James had a ___ their with a partner.
(a) Fishing boat.
(b) Mail delivery line.
(c) Fur trapping trade.
(d) Trading post.
3. Who told Sidney about "kallyhocuses" to scare him into not wandering away from home?
(a) Old Mama.
(c) His dad.
(d) His mom.
4. How old was Sidney when his mom died?
5. Sidney brought logs down river, and he made ___ for six logs.
6. At the Anvik Mission Sidney learned to trust Rev. ___.
7. Who insisted that Sidney had earned to right to a woman with his bear kill?
(a) Hog River Johnny.
(b) Little Sammy.
(c) Chief Paul.
(d) Ned Regan.
8. Who taught Sidney and Jimmy how to make snowshoes while they were away at school near Anchorage?
(a) Chief Paul.
(c) Eklutna John.
(d) Hog River Johnny.
9. In Chapter 9, "Deep Cold," Sidney's family was still at the Batza River and the subfreezing temperature was below ___, which made groundwater hazardous.
(a) -75 degrees Fahrenheit.
(b) -60 degrees Fahrenheit.
(c) -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
(d) -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. After Sidney and his young siblings were reunited with their dad after Anna's death, who confessed to stealing candy and cookies from the store?
11. Who did Sidney's Dad accompany that lost both legs to frostbite because of walking through less than an inch of sub-freezing water?
(a) A missionary.
(b) His best friend.
(c) One of his uncle's.
(d) A soldier.
12. What did Sidney's dad, James S. Huntington, deliver by dog sled as part of his job when he first came to the Koyukuk?
13. Sidney's family sent word that they had chosen a ___ year old girl as Sidney's wife, which Sidney refused.
14. Sidney's Aunt Eliza's last name was ___.
15. What tool was Dad reluctant to let Jimmy use while helping to build Sidney's boat?
(a) An axe.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A whipsaw.
(d) A drill.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the Batza River, in deep cold, Sidney went out to collect animals from his traps when the temperature was at ____.
2. Sidney and his dad traveled to Alatna by riverboat, a boat owned by ___.
3. Children were not allowed outside when the temperature was below ___ degrees.
4. Chief John was Sidney's __ uncle.
5. Anna walked more than ___ miles through the tundra back home after her step-father's murder trial.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)