|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James was arrested for illegally selling ___ for the Indians.
(a) Caribou hooves.
(b) Trapped furs.
(c) Fur clothes.
2. What was the last name of the census worker that had to stay with Sidney's family at the Batza River?
3. What was the name of the guide that accompanied the census taker on the census route in sub-freezing temperatures?
(a) Charlie Swanson.
(b) George Butler.
(c) John Evans.
(d) Ben Derrick.
4. For how many months was Jimmy hospitalized after he and Sidney arrived at the Eklutna Vocational School?
5. What boat did John Stickman salvage off the ice after the flood and return to Sidney and his family?
(a) The Vixen.
(b) The Koyukuk.
(c) The Ark.
(d) Sidney's boat.
6. Sidney's dad sent the kids to a mission how many miles from home because he could not run the store and care for them at the same time after Anna's death?
7. How old were the "fresh" vegetables that were cargo on the steamboat that Sidney and Jimmy rode home from Eklutna?
(a) A few days.
(b) One month.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
8. Who insisted that Sidney had earned to right to a woman with his bear kill?
(a) Hog River Johnny.
(b) Ned Regan.
(c) Chief Paul.
(d) Little Sammy.
9. When did Anna marry Victor Bifelt?
10. While at the Batza River, as described in Chapter 10 "My First Boat," when did Sidney decide to build a boat?
11. According to Chapter 11 "The Flood," when did the Koyukuk River ice start to break up?
(a) Spring 1927.
(b) March 1927.
(c) Mid-May 1928.
(d) Early April 1928.
12. Using a steel cable from helping a friend repair an ___, Sidney set a snare to catch the bear that raided the family fish stores.
(d) Boat engine.
13. Children were not allowed outside when the temperature was below ___ degrees.
14. What Indian introduced a reluctant Sidney to traditionally prepared salmon which left Sidney smelling bad?
(a) Young Toby.
(c) Hog River Johnny.
15. Sidney and his dad traveled to Alatna by riverboat, a boat owned by ___.
(a) Charlie Swanson.
(b) Ben Derrick.
(c) John Stickman.
(d) John Evans.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the flooding water rose dangerously close to the cabin roof, the family left their diminishing refuge and escaped on the river in a canoe and ___.
2. The extremely low temperatures at the Batza River, as described in chapter 9, "Deep Cold" went on for how many weeks?
3. What Indian helped Sidney in Alatna when ever Sidney's dad had to leave?
4. How old was Sidney when he walked through snow to get help at the mining camp for his sick dad?
5. Sidney and his dad traveled upriver to Alatna because James had a ___ their with a partner.
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)