|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Maggie say she'll go in the cottage?
2. What does Brian believe has been thwarted by the mechanics of dying?
3. What does Agnes do that causes Felicity to chastise her and launch into a bawdy song?
4. In what year did this play win both a Pulitzer Prize and a Tony Award?
5. What does Steve do to express how much he missed Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts turn Maggie's fear into anger?
2. What specifically about his illness has made Joe very angry?
3. What was Agnes's rationale for taking on the duty of writing the letters to her mother?
4. What is happening at Joe's cottage in the beginning of act 2?
5. What happens that leads Agnes to finally recognize that her mother is senile?
6. How does Joe feel about his life as he sits reminiscing with his wife?
7. What did Agnes finally do to try and give her mother the will to live again?
8. How did Felicity handle the news about her daughter's death?
9. What happened to Claire?
10. What is the main plot line of the play, The Shadow Box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does the interviewer help give the perception that death should be viewed as a scientific process? Do you agree with that view? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is a common thread among all of the patients life reviews? What seems to bother the patients the most? Do you agree with their feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play the stages of grief are exposed to the audience. What are the stages of grief? Describe how the characters show these stages in different ways? Do you believe everyone goes through these same stages? Why or why not?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)