|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie refuse to do when she arrives at the cottage?
2. What has caused regular visits between Joe and his family to be prohibitive?
3. What does Brian say about every person's dreams?
4. What does Brian admit scares him to death?
5. What does Brian believe has been thwarted by the mechanics of dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joe's reaction to learning that his condition had become terminal?
2. What did Agnes finally do to try and give her mother the will to live again?
3. How does Joe feel about his life as he sits reminiscing with his wife?
4. What happens when Maggie and Steve arrive at Joe's cottage?
5. What does Brian think would help people and allow them to better off if they would admit?
6. What was Agnes's rationale for taking on the duty of writing the letters to her mother?
7. What happens when the interviewer brings up these doubts and alternate ideas to Agnes?
8. What do Beverly and Mark agree about in regards to Brian?
9. What happens between Mark and Beverly after he spills champagne on his jacket?
10. What specifically about his illness has made Joe very angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a common thread among all of the patients life reviews? What seems to bother the patients the most? Do you agree with their feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the character of Maggie dying? How do you think Joe and Maggie's marriage was? Which of them do you feel is the stronger character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Felicity's hostility toward the interviewer symbolizes? Why do you think she takes it out on her daughter? Do you think Agnes handles her mother well? Why or why not?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)