|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the interviewer tell Joe he is available to do?
2. What is Brian doing all of the time that he is unsure of the cause of?
3. What does the interviewer do to make Joe relax?
4. What has caused regular visits between Joe and his family to be prohibitive?
5. What hope does Joe have in regards to Maggie's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian think would help people and allow them to better off if they would admit?
2. Why do you think the interviewer is only heard and never seen?
3. Why did Joe discourage his wife and son from spending the money and time to come visit him in the hospital?
4. How does Maggie feel about going into the cottage?
5. What was Agnes's rationale for taking on the duty of writing the letters to her mother?
6. What kind of person did Agnes say Claire was?
7. How does Felicity undermine her daughter Agnes?
8. What does Beverly think that Mark's life is based on?
9. What was Joe's reaction to learning that his condition had become terminal?
10. What does the interviewer say that makes Agnes rethink her position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the interviewer to explore each character in a more in-depth way? What other technique could the author use to achieve the same result? Which do you believe would be more effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the character of Maggie dying? How do you think Joe and Maggie's marriage was? Which of them do you feel is the stronger character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
What is a common thread among all of the patients life reviews? What seems to bother the patients the most? Do you agree with their feelings? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)