|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe admit to the interviewer about Maggie?
2. Where are Maggie and Steve while Joe is hospitalized?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of what it means to be socially taboo?
4. What does Joe believe his illness has made him more of?
5. What did Joe ask Maggie to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe tell the interviewer about his wife Maggie and her understanding of his condition?
2. What does the interviewer do to help Joe relax?
3. What happens when Felicity demands Agnes take her back to the cottage and what does the interviewer do that surprises Agnes?
4. What is happening in Brian's cottage as act 2 opens?
5. What was Joe's reaction to learning that his condition had become terminal?
6. What is the main plot line of the play, The Shadow Box?
7. What changed Joe's opinion about Maggie and Steve visiting him?
8. What does Maggie agree to do after she realizes that their life together has gone by too fast?
9. What does Beverly think that Mark's life is based on?
10. Why does Mark want Beverly to leave the cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are the three patients united? In what ways do their views on dying differ? Do you believe these differences enhance or detract from the play? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Agnes is more open to the idea of her mother's death than say Beverly is to Brian's? Which character remains in denial throughout most of the play? What changes her view?
Essay Topic 3
How does Felicity's mental state affect her ability to handle her impending death? Do you think Felicity is better off or worse off than the other patients because of her mental status? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)