|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie do when Steve jokes with her and tries to pull her in the cottage?
2. Which of the following best describes how Joe feels about talking to a voice when he is unable to see the person?
3. In what year did this play win both a Pulitzer Prize and a Tony Award?
4. What is Brian doing all of the time that he is unsure of the cause of?
5. What does Mark tell Beverly about Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe break the news about his condition to his son?
2. Why do you think the interviewer is only heard and never seen?
3. What does Joe tell the interviewer about his wife Maggie and her understanding of his condition?
4. What is the main plot line of the play, The Shadow Box?
5. What does the interviewer tell Joe to try and reassure him about his feelings?
6. What happens when Felicity demands Agnes take her back to the cottage and what does the interviewer do that surprises Agnes?
7. How does Joe feel about his life as he sits reminiscing with his wife?
8. What was Joe's reaction to learning that his condition had become terminal?
9. What explanation for Beverly give for all of the pieces of jewelry she wears?
10. How does Brian react to the situation between Beverly and Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Maggie's entry into the cottage symbolize? How have her views changed throughout the play? In what way does she show herself as a selfless person?
Essay Topic 2
What is the theme that is explored at the end of the play? Do you agree that it is the most important theme of all of those explored throughout the play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author include the clinical nature of death in American society in this play? Which characters express this idea? How do they express it?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)