|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the interview process explained to Joe?
2. What caused Maggie and Steve to come to see Joe?
3. Which of the following is true about the interviewer?
4. What does Brian say about every person's dreams?
5. What ends the tension between Beverly and Mark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that leads Agnes to finally recognize that her mother is senile?
2. What changed Joe's opinion about Maggie and Steve visiting him?
3. Why do you think the interviewer is only heard and never seen?
4. What is currently causing Mark substantial pain?
5. How does Joe break the news about his condition to his son?
6. How does Felicity undermine her daughter Agnes?
7. How does Brian react to the situation between Beverly and Mark?
8. What does Brian think would help people and allow them to better off if they would admit?
9. What did Agnes finally do to try and give her mother the will to live again?
10. What was Agnes's rationale for taking on the duty of writing the letters to her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author include the clinical nature of death in American society in this play? Which characters express this idea? How do they express it?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Agnes is more open to the idea of her mother's death than say Beverly is to Brian's? Which character remains in denial throughout most of the play? What changes her view?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe the role of the interviewer is critical? Why or why not? How are the character's interactions with the interviewer different? How are they the same?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)