|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is staying with Felicity at the cottage?
2. What does Joe believe his illness has made him more of?
3. How does Joe react to what Maggie has done to Steve?
4. What won't Maggie listen to that Joe tries to explain to her?
5. What does Brian indicate is the only thing that anyone can be sure of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation for Beverly give for all of the pieces of jewelry she wears?
2. How does Brian react to the situation between Beverly and Mark?
3. What thoughts turn Maggie's fear into anger?
4. What does Maggie agree to do after she realizes that their life together has gone by too fast?
5. What was Agnes's rationale for taking on the duty of writing the letters to her mother?
6. What warning does Beverly give to Mark before she leaves?
7. What does Brian think would help people and allow them to better off if they would admit?
8. Why do you think Agnes suffers from psychosomatic headaches?
9. What specifically about his illness has made Joe very angry?
10. What admission does Maggie make to Joe about their son Steve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Maggie's entry into the cottage symbolize? How have her views changed throughout the play? In what way does she show herself as a selfless person?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the character of Maggie dying? How do you think Joe and Maggie's marriage was? Which of them do you feel is the stronger character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are the three patients united? In what ways do their views on dying differ? Do you believe these differences enhance or detract from the play? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)