|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian believe has been thwarted by the mechanics of dying?
2. What draws Joe's attention to the interview area?
3. About how old is Felicity?
4. What does the interviewer do to make Joe relax?
5. What happens in Brian's recurring dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Beverly and Mark agree about in regards to Brian?
2. Why did Joe discourage his wife and son from spending the money and time to come visit him in the hospital?
3. What is wrong with Joe and why is he staying in the cottages?
4. What thoughts turn Maggie's fear into anger?
5. Why weren't Joe's wife and son regular visitors while he was in the hospital?
6. What was Agnes's rationale for taking on the duty of writing the letters to her mother?
7. What is happening at Joe's cottage in the beginning of act 2?
8. What happens when Beverly finishes her dance performance?
9. What happens when Maggie and Steve arrive at Joe's cottage?
10. What is the main plot line of the play, The Shadow Box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe the author's use of flashbacks and memories is helpful to the audience? Why or why not? Do you think this play would have been as important without the flashbacks and memories? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Brian seem to be more sophisticated and evolved than the other patients? Why do you think this might be the case?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are the three patients united? In what ways do their views on dying differ? Do you believe these differences enhance or detract from the play? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)