|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian say about every person's dreams?
2. Who comes in while Mark is putting away Brian's medications?
3. What does Brian believe has been thwarted by the mechanics of dying?
4. Where is Joe hospitalized?
5. Which of the following best describes how Joe feels about talking to a voice when he is unable to see the person?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Felicity after she received news about Claire's death?
2. What do Beverly and Mark agree about in regards to Brian?
3. How does Joe feel about his life as he sits reminiscing with his wife?
4. How does Beverly react to Mark's information about Brian's condition?
5. What does Beverly think that Mark's life is based on?
6. How does Joe break the news about his condition to his son?
7. What is the main plot line of the play, The Shadow Box?
8. How does Felicity react to the interviewer?
9. Why weren't Joe's wife and son regular visitors while he was in the hospital?
10. What warning does Beverly give to Mark before she leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the theme that is explored at the end of the play? Do you agree that it is the most important theme of all of those explored throughout the play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do the characters approach the battle against death differently? Whose approach do you relate most to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play the stages of grief are exposed to the audience. What are the stages of grief? Describe how the characters show these stages in different ways? Do you believe everyone goes through these same stages? Why or why not?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)