|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best description of what the opening setting could be mistake for?
2. What caused Maggie and Steve to come to see Joe?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of taboo?
4. What does Brian believe has been thwarted by the mechanics of dying?
5. Why is Joe's interview halted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Brian's wife leave him?
2. How does Beverly react to Mark's information about Brian's condition?
3. What happens when Brian tries to join Beverly in her dancing?
4. Why do you think the interviewer is only heard and never seen?
5. How did Agnes describe Felicity after her husband died?
6. Why does Mark want Beverly to leave the cottage?
7. What specifically about his illness has made Joe very angry?
8. Why did Joe discourage his wife and son from spending the money and time to come visit him in the hospital?
9. What kind of person did Agnes say Claire was?
10. What did Agnes finally do to try and give her mother the will to live again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are the three patients united? In what ways do their views on dying differ? Do you believe these differences enhance or detract from the play? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe the author's use of flashbacks and memories is helpful to the audience? Why or why not? Do you think this play would have been as important without the flashbacks and memories? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe the role of the interviewer is critical? Why or why not? How are the character's interactions with the interviewer different? How are they the same?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)