|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has caused regular visits between Joe and his family to be prohibitive?
2. What does Joe believe his illness has made him more of?
3. What won't Maggie listen to that Joe tries to explain to her?
4. How does Felicity says that she and Claire communicate?
5. What does Brian believe would allow people to live more authentic lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Beverly give to Mark before she leaves?
2. How does Felicity undermine her daughter Agnes?
3. What admission does Maggie make to Joe about their son Steve?
4. What does Agnes do that demonstrates her anger with the interviewer?
5. What kind of person did Agnes say Claire was?
6. How does the interviewer find Joe as s/he talks to him and why does he seem this way?
7. Why is Joe's first reaction to the interviewer is quite awkward?
8. How does Felicity feel about her treatment so far at the hospital and where does she sometimes think she is?
9. How does Felicity react to the interviewer?
10. How did Felicity handle the news about her daughter's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author demonstrate the theme of regret in the second act? How does this theme particularly affect Brian and Joe? Why do you believe it affects them more than Felicity?
Essay Topic 2
How effective do you believe the author is at tying together three individual stories which all have one unifying theme? Do you believe the play would have been more effective had he told only one story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme that is explored at the end of the play? Do you agree that it is the most important theme of all of those explored throughout the play? Why or why not?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)