|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Felicity do to try and block out the interviewer's voice?
2. Who comes in while Mark is putting away Brian's medications?
3. What did Beverly tell Brian that he had lost?
4. Which of the following best describes the situation of being interviewed by someone you cannot see?
5. What is the main topic of this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Agnes's rationale for taking on the duty of writing the letters to her mother?
2. What happens when Felicity demands Agnes take her back to the cottage and what does the interviewer do that surprises Agnes?
3. Why did Joe discourage his wife and son from spending the money and time to come visit him in the hospital?
4. What did Agnes finally do to try and give her mother the will to live again?
5. What happens that leads Agnes to finally recognize that her mother is senile?
6. What kind of person did Agnes say Claire was?
7. What specifically about his illness has made Joe very angry?
8. What happens when Brian tries to join Beverly in her dancing?
9. What does Agnes do that demonstrates her anger with the interviewer?
10. What warning does Beverly give to Mark before she leaves?
Essay Topic 1
What is the theme that is explored at the end of the play? Do you agree that it is the most important theme of all of those explored throughout the play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How effective do you believe the author is at tying together three individual stories which all have one unifying theme? Do you believe the play would have been more effective had he told only one story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the interviewer to explore each character in a more in-depth way? What other technique could the author use to achieve the same result? Which do you believe would be more effective? Why?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)