|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steve do to express how much he missed Joe?
2. How long has it been since Joe saw his wife and son?
3. How does Felicity says that she and Claire communicate?
4. Where is the setting for the opening of this play?
5. What does Beverly chastise Mark about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mark feel about Beverly's behavior and how does Brian feel about it?
2. What is the main plot line of the play, The Shadow Box?
3. How does the interviewer find Joe as s/he talks to him and why does he seem this way?
4. What is currently causing Mark substantial pain?
5. What does Beverly think that Mark's life is based on?
6. What does the interviewer say that makes Agnes rethink her position?
7. What does the interviewer do to help Joe relax?
8. How does Joe feel about his life as he sits reminiscing with his wife?
9. What admission does Maggie make to Joe about their son Steve?
10. Why did Brian's wife leave him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters approach the battle against death differently? Whose approach do you relate most to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author include the clinical nature of death in American society in this play? Which characters express this idea? How do they express it?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme that is explored at the end of the play? Do you agree that it is the most important theme of all of those explored throughout the play? Why or why not?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)