|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends the tension between Beverly and Mark?
(a) Beverly keeps drinking.
(b) Brian walks in the room.
(c) Mark yells at Beverly.
(d) Mark leaves.
2. What profession does Brian have?
3. What does Joe admit to the interviewer about Maggie?
(a) She is living in denial and will not admit he is ill.
(b) It sometimes takes her a little while to fully understand things.
(c) She doesn't enjoy seeing him the way he is now.
(d) He hasn't told her the extent of his illness.
4. What does Mark tell Beverly about Brian?
(a) That he doesn't want to see her again.
(b) That Brian continues to worry for her and call her.
(c) That she is no good for him.
(d) That his condition is terminal.
5. What does Steve chide his mother about never being able to do?
(a) Refusing to have a drink.
(b) Talk to Joe about his illness.
(c) Live a rural life.
(d) Go inside the cottage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian believe has been thwarted by the mechanics of dying?
2. Where are Maggie and Steve while Joe is hospitalized?
3. What confession does Maggie make to Joe about Steve after he tried to drag her into the cottage?
4. What caused Maggie and Steve to come to see Joe?
5. What does Brian believe people are doing instead of living more authentic lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Beverly and Mark agree about in regards to Brian?
2. What changed Joe's opinion about Maggie and Steve visiting him?
3. How does Beverly react to Mark's information about Brian's condition?
4. Why do you think Agnes suffers from psychosomatic headaches?
5. What does the interviewer do to help Joe relax?
6. What happens when Felicity demands Agnes take her back to the cottage and what does the interviewer do that surprises Agnes?
7. What did Agnes finally do to try and give her mother the will to live again?
8. What is currently causing Mark substantial pain?
9. What is wrong with Joe and why is he staying in the cottages?
10. How does Felicity feel about her treatment so far at the hospital and where does she sometimes think she is?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)