|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Claire?
(a) She left the country.
(b) She was in jail.
(c) She was killed in an accident.
(d) She committed suicide.
2. Why doesn't Agnes believe that what she is doing is wrong?
(a) She is making sure her mother gets the best care.
(b) She is helping to keep Felicity alive.
(c) Felicity's thinking is impaired.
(d) Felicity is dying anyway.
3. What happens when Beverly and Mark rush to Brian's side?
(a) He tells them he wants to be left alone.
(b) They take him back to the hospital.
(c) He asks them to help him to the couch.
(d) He begins to cry and ask for help.
4. What does Beverly do for Brian?
5. What does the interviewer suggest is keeping Agnes alive?
(a) Her senility.
(b) The hospital.
(c) False hope.
6. What did Agnes decide to do to try and help Felicity?
(a) Tell her mom about Claire's problems every day.
(b) Write letters to Felicity and pretend they were from Claire.
(c) Get her some therapy to work through the problem.
(d) Admitted her to the hospital right away.
7. What does the interviewer explain to Agnes what is happening to Felicity is called?
8. What does the letter reading incident lead Agnes to realize?
(a) She needs to put Felicity back in the hospital.
(b) Her mother is going to die.
(c) Her mother has declined into senility.
(d) She can no longer care for her mother.
9. What does Joe think about that has made him angry?
(a) He won't get to have his grandchildren surrounding him.
(b) He doesn't know how to make Maggie understand.
(c) He believes his life doesn't matter to Maggie.
(d) He can't understand why this happened to him.
10. What do Joe and Maggie do while they sit outside of the cottage?
(a) Talk about what it will be like when Joe is gone.
(b) Reminisce about their life.
(c) Talk about why she won't go in the cottage.
(d) Argue about what to tell their son.
11. What happens when Beverly spills something on Mark's jacket?
(a) They get into an argument.
(b) Mark storms out of the cottage.
(c) She apologizes profusely.
(d) Brian laughs loudly.
12. What does Maggie feel about her life with Joe?
(a) It was a total failure.
(b) It is not over.
(c) It went by too fast.
(d) It was only made up of good moments.
13. How does Joe describe his life?
(a) With painful memories.
(b) With a sense of futility.
(c) With a need to explain.
(d) With a great sense of peace.
14. What happens when Brian makes his attempt with Beverly?
(a) He dies.
(b) They have a good time.
(c) He collapses.
(d) Mark gets jealous.
15. What do Beverly and Mark both agree that Brian is?
(a) The best writer they have seen.
(b) The most patient man around.
(c) A man worthy of both of their love.
(d) More highly evolved spirtually.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beverly react to Mark's description about the dying process?
2. What does Brian say that no one expects?
3. How long was Claire gone before Felicity and Agnes knew what happened to her?
4. What technique does the author use to provide depth to the stories without adding a lot of additional dialogue?
5. What adds anger to the mix of emotions?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)