|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Joe and Maggie do while they sit outside of the cottage?
(a) Talk about what it will be like when Joe is gone.
(b) Talk about why she won't go in the cottage.
(c) Reminisce about their life.
(d) Argue about what to tell their son.
2. What did Felicity manage after her husband died?
(a) Dairy farm.
(b) Hardware store.
(c) Grocery store.
(d) Fruit market.
3. Why does Mark say that Beverly has such an elevated position on the topic of the dying process?
(a) Because she's not there every day watching it.
(b) She hasn't talked with the doctors yet.
(c) Because she doesn't really understand it.
(d) She left Brian.
4. What does Beverly say that Mark's life is based on?
(a) False hope.
5. What does Beverly spill on Mark's jacket?
6. Why do you think Agnes is more open to the idea of her mother's death?
(a) Her sister ran away.
(b) She is tired of having to be fake for her mother.
(c) She already lost her father.
(d) Her mother is older.
7. How does Joe describe his life?
(a) With painful memories.
(b) With a great sense of peace.
(c) With a need to explain.
(d) With a sense of futility.
8. What was Mark doing before he came to live with Brian?
(a) He was a nurse at the hospital.
(b) He was a struggling writer.
(c) He was a male prostitute.
(d) He was living in a homeless shelter.
9. What happens when Beverly and Mark rush to Brian's side?
(a) He tells them he wants to be left alone.
(b) He asks them to help him to the couch.
(c) He begins to cry and ask for help.
(d) They take him back to the hospital.
10. What does Maggie realize Joe needs from her?
11. How did Felicity and Agnes learn about what happened to Claire?
(a) They read about it in the paper.
(b) They received a letter.
(c) They got a call from the police.
(d) They hired someone to find her.
12. How does Agnes now describe Claire?
(a) As the one that got away.
(b) As Felicity's favorite daughter.
(c) As the golden child.
(d) As the trouble maker in the family.
13. What is Agnes doing when Felicity interrupts her and asks for tea?
(a) Writing down her thoughts and feelings.
(b) Talking with the interviewer.
(c) Talking with Felicity's doctors.
(d) Reading a fake letter from Claire.
14. What does the reality of terminal illness force people to do?
(a) Fight harder to avoid death.
(b) Support each other more.
(c) Face death as a fact of life.
(d) Reevaluate life priorities.
15. What do all of the pieces of Beverly's jewelry represent?
(a) Wishes or dreams.
(b) Special memories.
(c) Major life events.
(d) Ex lovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters seems to have lead the fuller life?
2. Which of the following was not one of the descriptions that Agnes used to describe Claire after her mother took over her husband's job?
3. What does Brian attempt to do with Beverly?
4. What does Beverly warn Mark not to do to Brian?
5. Which of the following characters seems more resigned to the end of an unfulfilling life?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)