|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does her feeling change?
(a) She becomes more confused.
(b) She gets lost in sadness.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is overwhelmed.
2. What technique does the author use to provide depth to the stories without adding a lot of additional dialogue?
(a) Additional characters.
(b) Outside interviewer.
(c) Encouragement from outsiders.
(d) Flashbacks and memories.
3. How does Maggie feel that prevents her from going into the cottage?
4. What does Maggie feel about her life with Joe?
(a) It was a total failure.
(b) It is not over.
(c) It went by too fast.
(d) It was only made up of good moments.
5. What did Felicity manage after her husband died?
(a) Hardware store.
(b) Dairy farm.
(c) Fruit market.
(d) Grocery store.
6. What was Mark doing before he came to live with Brian?
(a) He was a male prostitute.
(b) He was a struggling writer.
(c) He was a nurse at the hospital.
(d) He was living in a homeless shelter.
7. Which of the following was not one of the descriptions that Agnes used to describe Claire after her mother took over her husband's job?
(b) In deep mourning for their father.
(d) Always arguing with their mother.
8. Why does Mark say that Beverly has such an elevated position on the topic of the dying process?
(a) Because she doesn't really understand it.
(b) She left Brian.
(c) Because she's not there every day watching it.
(d) She hasn't talked with the doctors yet.
9. What occurs to Maggie to make her change her mind about Joe's death?
(a) She realizes that it is not about her own feelings.
(b) She listens to what Joe has to say to her.
(c) She speaks with the interviewer at length.
(d) She talks to the doctors.
10. What does the interviewer tell Agnes Felicity is enduring?
(a) Medical science's worst.
(b) Physical and mental anguish.
(c) A false sense of security and understanding.
(d) Senility which keeps her in the dark.
11. What did Agnes decide to do to try and help Felicity?
(a) Tell her mom about Claire's problems every day.
(b) Admitted her to the hospital right away.
(c) Write letters to Felicity and pretend they were from Claire.
(d) Get her some therapy to work through the problem.
12. In what way does Agnes relent briefly to the interviewer's idea?
(a) She allows someone to come in and check on Felicity.
(b) She agrees to talk to the interviewer again.
(c) She allows Felicity to go back to the hospital.
(d) She agrees to stop writing letters.
13. How does Agnes now describe Claire?
(a) As the golden child.
(b) As the one that got away.
(c) As Felicity's favorite daughter.
(d) As the trouble maker in the family.
14. Why does the interviewer believe Felicity will not allow herself to die?
(a) She needs something to cling to.
(b) She can't remember she is sick.
(c) She wants to please Agnes.
(d) She is waiting for Claire's return.
15. How did Felicity and Agnes learn about what happened to Claire?
(a) They read about it in the paper.
(b) They received a letter.
(c) They hired someone to find her.
(d) They got a call from the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian say that no one expects?
2. Which of the following characters seems to battle the process the most?
3. It could be said that Joe and Felicity are further along in the acceptance of their disease than which of the following characters?
4. What do all of the characters seem to say about life?
5. Which of the following characters seems more resigned to the end of an unfulfilling life?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)