|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maggie agree to enter the cottage for the first time?
(a) She knows that it is what Joe wants.
(b) She has accepted Joe's imminent death.
(c) She wants to see her son.
(d) She needs to go inside with him.
2. Why does Maggie want to have all of the good and bad moments of her life with Joe back?
(a) Because she doesn't want to let go.
(b) Because she needs to find control.
(c) Because she wants to redo them.
(d) Because their relationship isn't finished.
3. How does Mark feel about the thought of Brian leaving?
(a) He cannot truly understand it.
(b) He realizes it will be a relief.
(c) He doesn't believe it will happen.
(d) He cannot bear it.
4. What does Agnes believe has kept Felicity alive for the past two years?
(a) The work of the hospitals.
(b) Her ongoing case of senility.
(c) Agnes's devotion to ther mother.
(d) Anticipation of the letters.
5. What does Joe take Maggie on the porch of the cottage?
6. What adds anger to the mix of emotions?
(a) Dying process.
(d) Pain of the diseases.
7. Which of the following characters seems to have lead the fuller life?
8. What does Brian say that no one expects?
(a) Death to happen to them.
(b) To have to explain death to their family.
(c) To know someone who will die.
(d) To die from disease.
9. What technique does the author use to provide depth to the stories without adding a lot of additional dialogue?
(a) Flashbacks and memories.
(b) Outside interviewer.
(c) Encouragement from outsiders.
(d) Additional characters.
10. What happened after Felicity heard the news?
(a) She became angry at everyone else.
(b) She started having hallucinations.
(c) She gave up her will to live.
(d) She started treating Agnes in a mean way.
11. What happens when Brian makes his attempt with Beverly?
(a) They have a good time.
(b) He dies.
(c) Mark gets jealous.
(d) He collapses.
12. What does the interviewer tell Agnes may need to happen to Felicity?
(a) She may need to go back to the hospital.
(b) She has caused Agnes enough pain.
(c) She needs more help than Agnes can give.
(d) She needs to let go of Claire.
13. What does Beverly try to interject into Brian's grieving process?
(a) Love and affection.
(b) Surprise and patience.
(c) Humor and drama.
(d) Denial and release.
14. Who remains faithful to Brian until the end?
15. How does Agnes respond to the interviewers suggest about what may need to happen to Felicity?
(a) Agnes says that that is not what Felicity wants.
(b) Agnes refuses the interviewers idea.
(c) Agnes begins to softly cry.
(d) Agnes tells the interviewer that he is wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maggie feel that prevents her from going into the cottage?
2. How does Joe describe his life?
3. What does Brian attempt to do with Beverly?
4. Which of the following was not one of the descriptions that Agnes used to describe Claire after her mother took over her husband's job?
5. What occurs to Maggie to make her change her mind about Joe's death?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)