|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mark?
(a) Maggie's boyfriend.
(b) Brian's companion.
(c) Steve's friend.
(d) Beverly's husband.
2. What does Brian say about day-to-day basis life can be?
3. Why has Brian started to write again?
(a) He needs to find something to do to pass the time.
(b) Mark has inspired him to help him write again.
(c) He wants to leave a clear legacy behind.
(d) He doesn't want to leave anything unsaid or undone.
4. What does the interviewer suggest that surprises Agnes?
(a) To talk to Agnes too.
(b) To talk to Felicity alone.
(c) To speak to Agnes alone outside of the cottage.
(d) To have Felicity leave the cottage.
5. What does Joe admit to the interviewer about Maggie?
(a) It sometimes takes her a little while to fully understand things.
(b) She is living in denial and will not admit he is ill.
(c) He hasn't told her the extent of his illness.
(d) She doesn't enjoy seeing him the way he is now.
6. What does Agnes do that causes Felicity to chastise her and launch into a bawdy song?
(a) Talking about Claire.
(b) Singing a hymn.
(c) Cleaning the cottage.
(d) Reading the bible.
7. What causes Joe to be vigorous and in good humor?
(a) He has met a couple of friends at the other cottages.
(b) His wife and son are arriving soon.
(c) The interviewer is calming him.
(d) He has come to grips with his disease and fate.
8. What is unique about where Joe is staying?
(a) It is a specially equipped cottage.
(b) It is designed to allow his body to heal.
(c) It has no privacy as people can see into the cottage at all times.
(d) It has enough rooms for all of his family.
9. What does Joe tell the interviewer was his first reaction to learning about his terminal condition?
10. What did Beverly tell Brian that he had lost?
(a) The magic and zest for real living.
(b) The desire to write emotionally.
(c) The ability to cope with the realities of life.
(d) The need for her.
11. What does Brian believe would allow people to live more authentic lives?
(a) Admitting the reality of their own death.
(b) Believing in an after life.
(c) Refusing to accept their own fate.
(d) Fighting to live for as long as possible.
12. What hope does Joe have in regards to Maggie's visit?
(a) That she will finally understand he is dying.
(b) That she will be ready to comfort Steve when the time comes.
(c) That she will love being at the cottage.
(d) That she will be able to find peace.
13. What is Beverly obsessed with?
(a) Brian and Mark's physical relationship.
(b) Brian's health issues.
(c) How beautiful the cottage is.
(d) Why Brian wanted to see her again.
14. Which of the following is true about the way Agnes treats Felicity?
(a) She caters to her every whim.
(b) She constantly tries to change the topic.
(c) She treats her as if she is already dead.
(d) She acts as if nothing is wrong.
15. How does Steve feel about seeing his father?
(a) He is elated.
(b) He is scared.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Maggie say she'll go in the cottage?
2. What won't Maggie listen to that Joe tries to explain to her?
3. What draws Joe's attention to the interview area?
4. What does Felicity tell the interviewer to undermine Claire?
5. What has caused regular visits between Joe and his family to be prohibitive?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)