|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true about the way Agnes treats Felicity?
(a) She caters to her every whim.
(b) She treats her as if she is already dead.
(c) She acts as if nothing is wrong.
(d) She constantly tries to change the topic.
2. What does Brian say about every person's dreams?
(a) They are informal.
(b) They are pointless.
(c) They are beautiful.
(d) They are ridiculous.
3. Why did Joe discourage his wife from coming to see him more often?
(a) He always thought he'd go home.
(b) He was ashamed of how he became ill.
(c) He didn't feel like company because he was depressed.
(d) He was too proud to let her see him ill.
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term affable?
5. What hope does Joe have in regards to Maggie's visit?
(a) That she will finally understand he is dying.
(b) That she will be ready to comfort Steve when the time comes.
(c) That she will be able to find peace.
(d) That she will love being at the cottage.
6. How is the interview process explained to Joe?
(a) It is the manner in which the patients can tell their story.
(b) The hospital wants to be sure that no one is infected.
(c) It is the hospitals way of talking to the people in the cottage.
(d) The patients need to ensure all of their affairs are in order this way.
7. How does Brian describe fate?
8. Where is Joe hospitalized?
9. How does Steve feel about seeing his father?
(a) He is elated.
(b) He is scared.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is angry.
10. What ends the tension between Beverly and Mark?
(a) Mark leaves.
(b) Mark yells at Beverly.
(c) Brian walks in the room.
(d) Beverly keeps drinking.
11. How long has it been since Joe saw his wife and son?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 12 weeks.
12. Which of the following best describes the situation of being interviewed by someone you cannot see?
13. Which of the following best describes how Joe feels about talking to a voice when he is unable to see the person?
14. What does the interviewer do to make Joe relax?
(a) Tells him that all those who have lived in the cottage have been interviewed this way.
(b) Tells him there is nothing to be frightened of.
(c) Tells him to relax and listen to him.
(d) Tells him that he will soon see the interviewer.
15. Why was Joe released from the hospital?
(a) To keep others from catching his illness.
(b) To spend time with his family.
(c) To be able to keep track of his progress more carefully.
(d) Because there was nothing else they could do for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian believe has been thwarted by the mechanics of dying?
2. What does Brian say about day-to-day basis life can be?
3. In what year did this play win both a Pulitzer Prize and a Tony Award?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of what it means to be socially taboo?
5. What is Brian's perspective on death?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)