|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
2. What street is Minton's on?
3. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
4. Where does Charlie Parker die?
5. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
2. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
3. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
4. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
5. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
6. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
7. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
8. What was Jackson's early life like?
9. Who is Teddy Hill?
10. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final essay in the book was never published. It is a book review of the Swedish economist Gunnar Myrdal who was brought in by the Carnegie Foundation to study the "Negro problem." What is Ellison's primary reaction to the book? What is positive in Myrdal's assessment? What does Ellison object to? Why do you think the review was never published?
Essay Topic 2
Race relations in America have long been a central focus of our culture. In the introduction Ellison prepares the reader to enter this discussion with him. What kind of invitation does he present? What is the emotional tone and feeling of the introduction? What does Ellison reveal about his own perspective on race? Why is it one of the themes of this book of his writing?
Essay Topic 3
"Brave Words for a Startling Occasion" is Ellison's acceptance speech when he received the American National Book award. Why was it, for Ellison, a startling occasion? What about his speech is brave? What is the overall theme of this speech?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)