|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all American Negros share?
2. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
3. What magazine does Ellison write music reviews for?
4. In "Blues People" how are the blues categorized?
5. What kind of radio does Ellison have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
2. What does Ellison understand the term "Negro culture" to mean?
3. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
4. Who is Teddy Hill?
5. What does Ellison believe is the primary American theme in both life and literature?
6. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
7. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
8. What type of food is served at Minton's?
9. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
10. What does Ellison say about a Negro President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic is profiled with a sense of gratitude and anger. What is Ellison angry about and why? As much as he admires the clinic, why does he feel it should not be necessary? What is at the source of mental suffering for many persons in the Harlem community?
Essay Topic 2
In "Living with Music" Ellison literally finds himself overwhelmed by the group of people who live around him. His struggle to find his own peace within a larger and very noisy society is a metaphor for the way he sees the individual constantly struggling against the group in life. How does he find peace? What method does he use to carve out his space and literally "be heard?"
Essay Topic 3
"The Way It Is" is the earliest example of Ellison's writing which appears in "Shadow and Act." In what ways is it different from the other essays? Do you see the beginnings of Ellison's philosophy and understanding it? If no dates were show, do you think it would have been clear that this was an early work? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)