|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charlie Christian come from?
2. What street is Minton's on?
3. What is Ellison's reaction to the term "Negro culture?"
4. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
5. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of food is served at Minton's?
2. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
3. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
4. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
5. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
6. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
7. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
8. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
9. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
10. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall Ellison praises LeRoi Jones book "Blues People." However, there are elements of Jones' analysis of the blues which are not up to Ellison's high standards. What are the major criticisms he makes of Jones? How does he support his argument against the conclusions Jones comes to?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellison choose "The Shadow and the Act" as the title of the entire book? What is the theme which this film review contains that Ellison finds suitable to place the entire set of writings within? What framework does this title provide for the other essays, articles, speeches, interviews and stories?
Essay Topic 3
"The World and the Jug" is an angry, often humorous response to the white, northern liberal writer Irving Howe's article about Richard Wright, James Baldwin and Ralph Ellison. What is Ellison's primary anger towards Howe based in? What pattern does he believe Howe has fallen into that is so similar to the discriminatory patterns against Negroes in America in general? What does Ellison argue that Howe is continuing when it comes to understanding the relationship between Negro and white culture?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)