|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
2. How does Ellison define the "understanding of art?"
3. Who lives above Ellison?
4. What is Charlie Parker's nickname?
5. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
2. What does Ellison understand the term "Negro culture" to mean?
3. What does Ellison believe Jackson's greatest gift is?
4. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
5. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
6. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
7. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
8. When asked when he began "Invisible Man" what does Ellison answer?
9. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
10. In the Paris Review (Spring 1955) Ellison was interviewed about his work as a writer. What does he say his first piece of professional writing was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the four articles on musicians written for the Saturday Review, Ellison explores the development of each individual artist. What do Mahalia Jackson, Charlie Parker, Charlie Christian and Jimmy Rushing have in common? Why does Ellison choose both nationally famous and locally famous musicians to write about? How are the careers and styles of the four musicians different?
Essay Topic 2
In "Some Questions and Some Answers" Ellison makes the provocative statement that there is no Negro culture. What does he mean by this? How does he support his argument? What history does he draw upon to reveal his thinking on this matter?
Essay Topic 3
Overall Ellison praises LeRoi Jones book "Blues People." However, there are elements of Jones' analysis of the blues which are not up to Ellison's high standards. What are the major criticisms he makes of Jones? How does he support his argument against the conclusions Jones comes to?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)