|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child what is Wright unable to distinguish between?
2. Who names Ellison?
3. What are the three major section of the "Primer for White Folks?"
4. What does Falkner understand about racial social code of the South?
5. Who is Richard Wright to Ellison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison find so remarkable about Crane?
2. What does Ellison compare Wright's personal journey of blooming to?
3. Why does Ellison say that the least form of segregation is the word?
4. What is the common image of the Negro in contemporary literature according to Ellison?
5. In "Richard Wright's blues" how does Ellison describe the blues?
6. Ellison originally wanted to be a musician. What changed for him?
7. Why was the young Ellison drawn to reading?
8. What is the "hidden name" Ellison is referring in the title of his speech to the Library of Congress in 1064?
9. How does Ellison leave the rather bitter dialogue with Howe?
10. When Ellison accepts the American National Book Award for "The Invisible Man" what does he say that the award is recognizing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Some Questions and Some Answers" Ellison makes the provocative statement that there is no Negro culture. What does he mean by this? How does he support his argument? What history does he draw upon to reveal his thinking on this matter?
Essay Topic 2
Overall Ellison praises LeRoi Jones book "Blues People." However, there are elements of Jones' analysis of the blues which are not up to Ellison's high standards. What are the major criticisms he makes of Jones? How does he support his argument against the conclusions Jones comes to?
Essay Topic 3
Ellison poetically describes a lost and lovely world in "The Golden Age, Time Past." Minton's Playhouse is an amalgamation of home, community, the South, and the noisy excitement of New York City. What influence does Henry Minton have upon the jazz musicians he nurtures? What is the atmosphere like? How is creativity nourished?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)