|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
(a) Plastic trumpet.
(b) Tin fiddle.
(c) Oil drum.
(d) Cigar box banjo.
2. Where is Ellison living in the essay "Living with Music?"
(a) Across from the Manhattan School of Music.
(b) Cabin on board ship.
(c) Vermont barn.
(d) Tiny ground floor rear apartment.
3. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
4. What Hotel is Minton's part of?
(a) Hotel Cecil.
(b) Hotel Barbero.
(c) Hotel Plaza.
(d) Hotel LaGrand.
5. What childhood memory does Ellison draw on to deal with his artistic nemesis?
(a) Being forced to kneel and pray at church.
(b) Falling off a large statue.
(c) Learning to play the trumpet.
(d) His father's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church does Mahalia grow up in?
2. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
3. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
4. What does the hero of "Invisible Man" do that is a common theme in Negro folklore?
5. What is Minton's Playhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Paris Review (Spring 1955) Ellison was interviewed about his work as a writer. What does he say his first piece of professional writing was?
2. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
3. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
4. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
5. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
6. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
7. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
8. What does Ellison say about a Negro President?
9. Who is LeRoi Jones?
10. What type of food is served at Minton's?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)