|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
(a) Restaurant with an enormous jute box.
(b) Police Academy with indoor shooting range.
(c) Brothel with large dance hall.
(d) Dog training school with night classes.
2. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
(a) Large family with several sets of infant twins.
(b) Night shift worker who likes Count Bassie.
(c) Husband and wife who constantly bicker.
(d) Jazz drummer and trumpet player.
3. In "The Art of Fiction: An Interview" what does Ellison say at the very beginning?
(a) I don't have much time so hurry up.
(b) "Invisible Man" is not an autobiography.
(c) All questions must be submitted on paper first.
(d) Did you hear the one about the three guys who go into a bar?
4. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
(a) Partly, he knew what the ending would be, but that was all.
(b) No, he just wrote as it came to him.
(c) Ellison refuses to discuss his writing method.
(d) Yes, the conceptual framework was in place.
5. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
(a) Back alley deals with racists.
(b) Flickering films about Negros.
(c) An illusionary view of the world.
(d) Dark tales of slavery and oppression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street is Minton's on?
2. What is Minton's Playhouse?
3. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
4. What do the blues capture?
5. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)