|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
2. What is Ellison's reaction to the term "Negro culture?"
(a) It is the world he longs to be in.
(b) The term is so vague as to be meaningless.
(c) Highest type of culture.
(d) Past and gone from sight.
3. Who lives above Ellison?
(a) Tap dancer.
(b) Judo training facility.
(c) Exercise club.
(d) Diligent classical singer.
4. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Mark Marroni and Leroy Belvadon.
(b) William Faulkner and Maria Sothington.
(c) Joe and Mal.
(d) Chick Mallison and Lucas Beauchamp.
5. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
(a) Female Louis Armstrong.
(b) High Priestess.
(c) Jazz Diva.
(d) Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the blues capture?
2. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
3. What is Minton's Playhouse?
4. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
5. What do the three sections of "Invisible Man" represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
2. When asked when he began "Invisible Man" what does Ellison answer?
3. What does Ellison believe Jackson's greatest gift is?
4. Who is LeRoi Jones?
5. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
6. What does Ellison say about a Negro President?
7. What does Ellison believe is the primary American theme in both life and literature?
8. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
9. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
10. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)