|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
(a) No, he just wrote as it came to him.
(b) Partly, he knew what the ending would be, but that was all.
(c) Ellison refuses to discuss his writing method.
(d) Yes, the conceptual framework was in place.
2. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(c) Role of entertainer.
3. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
(a) Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
(b) T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land."
(c) Voltaire's "Moliere."
(d) R. Wright's "Black Boy."
4. What street is Minton's on?
(a) 1st Avenue.
(b) 118th Street.
(c) 11th Avenue.
5. What two types of music is Ellison torn between as a child?
(a) Be-bop and Big Band.
(b) Negro folk and Western classical.
(c) Sacred and Profane.
(d) Country Western and Soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
2. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
3. Where does Charlie Parker die?
4. What is unique about "The Way It Is" compared to the other essays?
5. What do all American Negros share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
2. What was Jackson's early life like?
3. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
4. When asked when he began "Invisible Man" what does Ellison answer?
5. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
6. What does Ellison believe is the primary American theme in both life and literature?
7. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
8. What does Ellison say about a Negro President?
9. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
10. Who is LeRoi Jones?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)