|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Minton's Playhouse?
(b) Day Care Center.
(c) Broadway theater.
(d) Historic Jazz Club.
2. What is the fee for clients at the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Twenty five dollars.
(d) Twenty five cents.
3. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
(a) Reveals the most intimate part of American history.
(b) Tells lies about the past.
(c) Keeps Negros down.
(d) Makes white people comfortable.
4. Where is Minton's located?
5. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
(a) Read his poetry outdoors.
(b) Protest against the Vietnam war.
(c) Eat plenty of vegetables.
(d) Approach his work, "Blues People" as a theoretical endeavor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
2. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
3. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
4. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
5. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
2. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
3. Who is Teddy Hill?
4. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
5. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
6. What does Ellison believe is the primary American theme in both life and literature?
7. What was Jackson's early life like?
8. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
9. What does Ellison understand the term "Negro culture" to mean?
10. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)