|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
(a) Henry Minton and Ralph Ellison.
(b) Henry Minton and Louis Armstrong.
(c) Henry Minton and Joey Minton.
(d) Henry Minton and Teddy Hill.
2. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
(c) Graduate degree in music.
(d) Freshman in college.
3. What is remarkable about the psychiatric staff?
(a) Have no psychiatric training.
(b) Have no experience.
(c) Not licensed by the state.
(d) Receive no salary.
4. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Conscious gesture of separation.
(b) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(c) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
(d) Misguided anger towards society.
5. Who painted the mural that is displayed above Minton's bandstand?
(a) Anonymous W.P.A. worker.
(b) Ralph Ellison.
(c) Paul Cezanne.
(d) Charles Graham.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
2. What is the first book Ellison ever reviews in a publication?
3. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
4. Who lives above Ellison?
5. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison understand the term "Negro culture" to mean?
2. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
3. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
4. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
5. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
6. What does Ellison believe Jackson's greatest gift is?
7. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
8. Who is Teddy Hill?
9. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
10. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)