|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
(a) Move On Up a Little Higher.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) Wings of a Dove.
(d) Der Lieberstein.
2. What is the original title of the film "The Birth of a Nation?"
(a) The Clansman.
(b) KKK Army.
(d) White Pride.
3. What does Ellison say slaves had in place of freedom?
(a) Suffering, despair, darkness.
(b) Early death, disease, drunkenness.
(c) Dementia, mental illness, emptiness.
(d) Blues, spirituals, jazz.
4. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Trumpeter and composer.
(b) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
(c) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
(d) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
5. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
(a) Alfred Chester & Vilma Howard.
(b) John Jacob & Nancy Kerry.
(c) Donald Gibson and Bob Edwards.
(d) Gertrude Whittall and T. S. Eliot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church does Mahalia grow up in?
2. What is the "Act" Ellison refers to in the title of both the essay and the book?
3. Who is Charlie Christian?
4. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
5. What two types of music is Ellison torn between as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
2. What experience in Ellison's childhood gives him patience with his upstairs singing neighbor?
3. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
4. When asked when he began "Invisible Man" what does Ellison answer?
5. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
6. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
7. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
8. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
9. Who is Teddy Hill?
10. What type of food is served at Minton's?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)