|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
(a) Read his poetry outdoors.
(b) Approach his work, "Blues People" as a theoretical endeavor.
(c) Protest against the Vietnam war.
(d) Eat plenty of vegetables.
2. What two types of music is Ellison torn between as a child?
(a) Negro folk and Western classical.
(b) Be-bop and Big Band.
(c) Sacred and Profane.
(d) Country Western and Soul.
3. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
(b) Box of books.
(c) Drum set.
(d) Tape machine.
4. What church does Mahalia grow up in?
(b) Roman Catholic.
(d) African Episcopal.
5. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
(a) Dog training school with night classes.
(b) Police Academy with indoor shooting range.
(c) Restaurant with an enormous jute box.
(d) Brothel with large dance hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is remarkable about the psychiatric staff?
2. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
3. What do the blues capture?
4. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
5. What is Minton's Playhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is LeRoi Jones?
2. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
3. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
4. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
5. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
6. What experience in Ellison's childhood gives him patience with his upstairs singing neighbor?
7. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
8. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
9. What does Ellison believe is the primary American theme in both life and literature?
10. What does Ellison say about a Negro President?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)