|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who co-founds modern jazz with Parker?
(a) Louis Armstrong.
(b) Jimmy Rushing.
(c) Dizzy Gillespie.
(d) Pat Brown.
2. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
(a) Henry Minton and Ralph Ellison.
(b) Henry Minton and Louis Armstrong.
(c) Henry Minton and Teddy Hill.
(d) Henry Minton and Joey Minton.
3. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) William Faulkner.
(c) Ralph Ellison.
(d) Maria Sothington.
4. When does Jones place the beginnings of the blues?
(a) World War II.
(b) During the Civil Rights movement.
(c) At the Negro's conscious appearance on the American scene.
(d) In ancient times throughout Africa.
5. What is James Reese Europe known for?
(a) Protesting segregation.
(b) Starting a fire at Minton's.
(c) Playing the tenor sax.
(d) Inventing the fox trot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the three sections of "Invisible Man" represent?
2. What do all American Negros share?
3. Who is Charlie Christian?
4. What does the drunk of legend who lives on the corner like to yell?
5. Who lives above Ellison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
2. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
3. Who is LeRoi Jones?
4. What does Ellison believe Jackson's greatest gift is?
5. What was Jackson's early life like?
6. When asked when he began "Invisible Man" what does Ellison answer?
7. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
8. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
9. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
10. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)