|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Lydia Maria Child?
(a) Leading member of the American Anti-Slavery Society.
(b) Patron of the LeRoi Restaurant.
(c) Primary benefactor of Tuskegee Institute.
(d) Teacher of jazz poetry.
2. What year are the African slaves introduced into the American Colonies?
3. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
(b) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
(c) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(d) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
4. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
(a) Future of American melting pot.
(b) Great amalgam of African, American Indian and European cultures.
(c) Repression of natural human desire.
(d) African tribal customs transplanted to American soil.
5. What is Charlie Parker's nickname?
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
2. Who lives above Ellison?
3. What do the blues capture?
4. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
5. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience in Ellison's childhood gives him patience with his upstairs singing neighbor?
2. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
3. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
4. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
5. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
6. What does Ellison believe is the primary American theme in both life and literature?
7. What does Ellison understand the term "Negro culture" to mean?
8. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
9. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
10. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)