|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fee for clients at the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
(a) Twenty five cents.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Twenty five dollars.
(d) One dollar.
2. What year are the African slaves introduced into the American Colonies?
3. What is Mrs. Jackson cooking in "The Way It Is?"
(a) Peas, rice and pork chops.
(b) Hot dogs and tuna fish casserole.
(c) Venison and lima beans.
(d) Chili con carne.
4. What magazine does Ellison write music reviews for?
(a) Saturday Review.
(b) New Yorker.
(c) Music Town Tonight.
(d) Negro Nightlife.
5. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
(a) Der Lieberstein.
(b) Wings of a Dove.
(c) Amazing Grace.
(d) Move On Up a Little Higher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
2. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
3. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
4. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
5. Who says Negro dock workers were the best singers of Irish songs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
2. What does Ellison believe is the primary American theme in both life and literature?
3. Who is LeRoi Jones?
4. What was Jackson's early life like?
5. When asked when he began "Invisible Man" what does Ellison answer?
6. What does Ellison understand the term "Negro culture" to mean?
7. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
8. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
9. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
10. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)