|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) Not perfect enough.
(b) The transitions the character goes through.
(c) Too many versions of the book.
(d) No ending.
2. What street is Minton's on?
(a) 11th Avenue.
(b) 1st Avenue.
(c) 118th Street.
3. What does Ellison say slaves had in place of freedom?
(a) Blues, spirituals, jazz.
(b) Suffering, despair, darkness.
(c) Dementia, mental illness, emptiness.
(d) Early death, disease, drunkenness.
4. Where is Ellison living in the essay "Living with Music?"
(a) Across from the Manhattan School of Music.
(b) Cabin on board ship.
(c) Vermont barn.
(d) Tiny ground floor rear apartment.
5. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(b) There is no significance.
(c) Dismissive category.
(d) Typographical error.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
2. Where is Minton's located?
3. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
4. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
5. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
2. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
3. What does Ellison say about a Negro President?
4. What type of food is served at Minton's?
5. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
6. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
7. Who is LeRoi Jones?
8. What experience in Ellison's childhood gives him patience with his upstairs singing neighbor?
9. What does Ellison believe Jackson's greatest gift is?
10. What was Jackson's early life like?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)