|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
(b) Mental hospital.
(c) Crossing the Atlantic.
(d) Alley behind Minton's.
2. What race of people are allowed into Minton's?
(a) White people.
(b) Negro musicians and white customers.
(c) Everybody is allowed in.
(d) Negro people.
3. What is James Reese Europe known for?
(a) Protesting segregation.
(b) Starting a fire at Minton's.
(c) Playing the tenor sax.
(d) Inventing the fox trot.
4. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) High Priestess.
(c) Female Louis Armstrong.
(d) Jazz Diva.
5. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Maria Sothington.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Ralph Ellison.
(d) William Faulkner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
2. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
3. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
4. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
5. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
2. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
3. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
4. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
5. Who is LeRoi Jones?
6. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
7. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
8. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
9. Why does Ellison disagree with Jones when he says "A slave cannot be a man"?
10. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)