|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
(b) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
(c) Trumpeter and composer.
(d) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
2. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
3. What two types of music is Ellison torn between as a child?
(a) Be-bop and Big Band.
(b) Negro folk and Western classical.
(c) Country Western and Soul.
(d) Sacred and Profane.
4. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
(a) They were given artistic education by slave owners.
(b) They came from African cultures where art was highly functional.
(c) Art was seen as harmless by slave owners.
(d) Entertainment was enforced by white culture.
5. What is remarkable about the psychiatric staff?
(a) Not licensed by the state.
(b) Have no experience.
(c) Have no psychiatric training.
(d) Receive no salary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
2. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
3. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
4. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
5. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
2. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
3. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
4. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
5. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
6. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
7. What does Ellison believe Jackson's greatest gift is?
8. Where is the Lefargue Psychiatric Clinic located?
9. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
10. What type of food is served at Minton's?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)