|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who painted the mural that is displayed above Minton's bandstand?
(a) Charles Graham.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Anonymous W.P.A. worker.
(d) Ralph Ellison.
2. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(b) Dismissive category.
(c) There is no significance.
(d) Typographical error.
3. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) The transitions the character goes through.
(b) Too many versions of the book.
(c) No ending.
(d) Not perfect enough.
4. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
5. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
(a) Female Louis Armstrong.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) High Priestess.
(d) Jazz Diva.
Short Answer Questions
1. What childhood memory does Ellison draw on to deal with his artistic nemesis?
2. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
3. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
4. Where does Charlie Parker die?
5. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jackson's early life like?
2. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
3. What experience in Ellison's childhood gives him patience with his upstairs singing neighbor?
4. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
5. What does Ellison tell us about the matriarch, Mrs. Jackson, in "The Way It Is."
6. Who is LeRoi Jones?
7. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
8. What captures the attention of many critics about "Blues People."
9. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
10. What does Ellison understand the term "Negro culture" to mean?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)