|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(b) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
(c) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
(d) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
2. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
(a) Reveals the most intimate part of American history.
(b) Keeps Negros down.
(c) Makes white people comfortable.
(d) Tells lies about the past.
3. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Mark Marroni and Leroy Belvadon.
(b) Chick Mallison and Lucas Beauchamp.
(c) Joe and Mal.
(d) William Faulkner and Maria Sothington.
4. What race of people are allowed into Minton's?
(a) Everybody is allowed in.
(b) White people.
(c) Negro people.
(d) Negro musicians and white customers.
5. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Begins to meditate.
(b) Wears earplugs.
(c) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(d) Creates a sound system of his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
2. In "Blues People" how are the blues categorized?
3. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
4. Who says Negro dock workers were the best singers of Irish songs?
5. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
2. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
3. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
4. Who is LeRoi Jones?
5. How does the early film "Birth of the Nation" portray Negro persons?
6. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
7. Who is Teddy Hill?
8. Who does the song "They picked poor robin clean" remind Ellison of?
9. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
10. What place does "Living with Music" describe?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)