|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ellison named after?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Ralph Roosevelt Ellison.
(c) Ralph Winston Ellison.
(d) Ralph Kramden.
2. Who is Henry Bowman Otto Davis?
(a) Little white boy known as Hoolie befriended by the young Ellison.
(b) Editor of the first magazine which published Ellison.
(c) Author of "Radios and Communication, a guide."
(d) Father of Ellison's grade school nemesis, Horatio Davis.
3. What does Crane die of and where?
(a) The black plague of 1834, in London, England.
(b) Tuberculosis, in the far Black Forest of Germany.
(c) In a fierce battle on the plains of Alsace.
(d) Murder, on board a ship crossing the Atlantic.
4. What does Wright do at age four?
(a) Sets the house on fire.
(b) Plays the piano.
(c) Begins to read.
(d) Makes a speech at church.
5. What folk tradition does Ellison believe the black face figure grows out of?
(b) West Indies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where might Crane have gotten information about the Civil War?
2. How does Ellison describe his relationship with Howe?
3. What is the Negro child taught to see the white man as?
4. What Bible myth is referred to in "The World and the Jug?"
5. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellison consider Stephen Crane to be such a great artist?
2. When Ellison accepts the American National Book Award for "The Invisible Man" what does he say that the award is recognizing?
3. What does the phrase "The World and the Jug" refers to?
4. What does the phrase "beating that boy" refer to?
5. How does Ellison leave the rather bitter dialogue with Howe?
6. What were some of the catastrophic events which occurred in Wright's life?
7. Did Richard Wright influence Baldwin or Ellison?
8. What does the second half of the title "Hidden Names and Complex Fate" refer to?
9. Though "Black Boy" presents a brutal and violent world, what else does it manage to convey about the young Wright?
10. What is Ellison's basic quarrel with Hyman?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)