|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who names Ellison?
(a) A passing stranger.
(b) His parish priest.
(c) His father.
(d) The midwife that delivered him.
2. For Ellison who is the greatest artist the south has ever produced?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Ralph Ellison.
(c) William Falkner.
(d) Mark Twain.
3. Why does Ellison chose not to emphasize the details of racial hardship in his life?
(a) It is a Negro audience and they already know his story.
(b) Too painful for him to speak about.
(c) To avoid boring the audience.
(d) It is a white audience and he fears they will be uncomfortable.
4. Who is Ellison named after?
(a) Ralph Winston Ellison.
(b) Ralph Roosevelt Ellison.
(c) Ralph Kramden.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
5. Who is Stanley Edgar Hyman?
(a) The prominent Negro intellectual who wrote "Santa Claus is Black."
(b) A lyricist and comedian in the 1930's.
(c) Ellison's uncle who has a good sense of humor.
(d) A scholar who wrote on the relationship between Negro literature and folklore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where and when is the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke" published?
2. Who is Irving Howe?
3. What is minstrel show black face?
4. Who is Stanley Hyman's favorite archetypal figure?
5. Where does Ellison give the public address "Hidden Name and Complex Fate?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison say is the invisible man's discovery?
2. Why does Ellison say that the least form of segregation is the word?
3. What does Ellison find so remarkable about Crane?
4. What type of music does the upstairs singer practice all day?
5. What writers are at issue in the exchange between Irving Howe and Ralph Ellison?
6. What is the film "Intruder in the Dust" about?
7. What is the "hidden name" Ellison is referring in the title of his speech to the Library of Congress in 1064?
8. Who is Teddy Hill?
9. What does Ellison admire most about "The Primer for White Folks?"
10. What is the common image of the Negro in contemporary literature according to Ellison?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)