|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the college Ellison attended?
(a) University of Oklahoma.
2. How does Ellison describe his boyhood experience in Oklahoma?
(a) Series of mind numbing and violent episodes.
(b) Poverty stricken existence with little enjoyment.
(c) Romantic aspirations in the spirit of frontier adventurousness.
(d) Very controlled and regimented experience.
3. What does Ellison praise about "Primer for White Folks?"
(a) Short and to the point.
(b) Realistic and therefore does not contain much hope.
(c) The search for images of black and white fraternity.
(d) Easy to read and young children will like it.
4. What are the three themes of "Shadow and Act" according to the Introduction?
(a) Literature, Jazz/Blues and the relationship between Negro America and American culture.
(b) Classical Dance, Country Music and Folk Art.
(c) Racism, Poverty and Obstruction of Justice.
(d) White people, Black people, and Native Americans.
5. Where does Ellison give the public address "Hidden Name and Complex Fate?"
(a) Rutgers University Convocation on Race and Entitlement.
(b) nternational Peace Conference in Geneva, New York.
(c) National Association of the Advancement of Colored People.
(d) Library of Congress in 1964.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Stephen Crane when he dies?
2. Where might Crane have gotten information about the Civil War?
3. Who is Mrs. L.C. McFarland?
4. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
5. Who is Henry Bowman Otto Davis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is "Minton's Playhouse" located?
2. What is Ellison's basic quarrel with Hyman?
3. Who is Teddy Hill?
4. Who is Mahalia Jackson?
5. Why does Ellison choose to write about Faulkner?
6. What does Ellison compare Wright's personal journey of blooming to?
7. What does the mural above the bandstand at Minton's depict?
8. What was Ellison's writing process for "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke?"
9. What are the two categories Jones places the blues in?
10. What does the "drunk of legend" who lives on the corner do?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)