|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where might Crane have gotten information about the Civil War?
(a) Intensive scholarly research.
(b) His own experience.
(c) His brother.
(d) Manuscripts and letters.
2. For Ellison who is the greatest artist the south has ever produced?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Ralph Ellison.
(c) William Falkner.
(d) Mark Twain.
3. How many children are in Stephen Crane's birth family?
4. Where and when is the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke" published?
(a) Yale Literary Review, Winter, 1960.
(b) Partisan Review, Spring 1958.
(c) New Yorker Magazine, Summer, 1959.
(d) Life Magazine, Summer, 1958.
5. What are the three major section of the "Primer for White Folks?"
(a) Heritage, Short Stories, Today and Tomorrow.
(b) Beginning, Middle, End.
(c) Right, Wrong, Ambivilent.
(d) White, Negro, Mixed Race.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the essay "Richard Wright's Blues" published and when?
2. Why do Crane and his wife move to England?
3. Other white cultures have black face type entertainment, but what is different about American black face?
4. What is the relationship between Ellison and Stanley Hyman?
5. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellison critique about the authors included in the Primer?
2. Why does Ellison choose to write about Faulkner?
3. What does the phrase "beating that boy" refer to?
4. What is different about Oklahoma and the relationship of different races when compared to the South or even to Texas?
5. As a child Ellison imagined himself as a "Renaissance man." What does that mean?
6. How did a library for Negro persons emerge in Oklahoma City?
7. What does Ellison admire most about "The Primer for White Folks?"
8. What does Ellison compare Wright's personal journey of blooming to?
9. What were some of the catastrophic events which occurred in Wright's life?
10. What were the two greatest influences upon Crane's life, in Ellison's estimation?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)