|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Charlie Parker's nickname?
2. What is the original title of the film "The Birth of a Nation?"
(a) KKK Army.
(c) White Pride.
(d) The Clansman.
3. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
(a) Henry Minton and Louis Armstrong.
(b) Henry Minton and Ralph Ellison.
(c) Henry Minton and Joey Minton.
(d) Henry Minton and Teddy Hill.
4. Where is the book review "Blues People" published and when?
(a) Cleveland Times, 1974.
(b) New York Review, 1964.
(c) Saturday Review, 1945.
(d) Tukumpsee Reader, 1930.
5. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
6. What does the drunk of legend who lives on the corner like to yell?
(a) It's a long way to Tipperary.
(b) Ain't nobody here but me.
(c) I'm lost.
(d) Shut up.
7. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
(b) Submarine torpedoes sank the ship he was working on.
(c) Drugs and alcohol.
(d) Hit by enemy fire during a battle in France.
8. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Conscious gesture of separation.
(b) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(c) Misguided anger towards society.
(d) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
9. What do the blues capture?
(a) Tragic and comic sense of the human condition.
(b) The time period in which they were written.
(c) Religion of the Negro people.
(d) Personality of the singer.
10. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
11. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
(a) Wings of a Dove.
(b) Der Lieberstein.
(c) Move On Up a Little Higher.
(d) Amazing Grace.
12. What kind of radio does Ellison have?
(a) Plastic transistor radio.
(b) Old Nelson AM with Riddle FM tuner.
(c) Old Philco AM with Pilot FM tuner.
(d) Wooden American Minder with glass tubes.
13. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
(a) Police Academy with indoor shooting range.
(b) Restaurant with an enormous jute box.
(c) Dog training school with night classes.
(d) Brothel with large dance hall.
14. What is the "Act" Ellison refers to in the title of both the essay and the book?
15. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) Too many versions of the book.
(b) The transitions the character goes through.
(c) Not perfect enough.
(d) No ending.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
2. How does Ellison define the "understanding of art?"
3. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
4. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
5. What year are the African slaves introduced into the American Colonies?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)