|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
(a) Partly, he knew what the ending would be, but that was all.
(b) Ellison refuses to discuss his writing method.
(c) Yes, the conceptual framework was in place.
(d) No, he just wrote as it came to him.
2. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
3. Where is Ellison living in the essay "Living with Music?"
(a) Cabin on board ship.
(b) Tiny ground floor rear apartment.
(c) Vermont barn.
(d) Across from the Manhattan School of Music.
4. What is unique about "The Way It Is" compared to the other essays?
(a) Has no humor.
(b) Recommends communism.
(c) Focuses on Negro persons.
(d) Written as a narrative story.
5. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(b) Role of entertainer.
6. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) The transitions the character goes through.
(b) Not perfect enough.
(c) Too many versions of the book.
(d) No ending.
7. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Innovative drummer.
(b) Haunting blues trumpeter.
(c) Greatest jazz guitarist.
(d) Highest paid night club singer.
8. What is the fee for clients at the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
(a) Twenty five dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Twenty five cents.
9. Who says Negro dock workers were the best singers of Irish songs?
(a) Stanley Hyman.
(b) Lafcadio Hearn.
(c) Paul Oliver.
(d) Constance Rourke.
10. What does the drunk of legend who lives on the corner like to yell?
(a) Ain't nobody here but me.
(b) I'm lost.
(c) Shut up.
(d) It's a long way to Tipperary.
11. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(b) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
(c) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
(d) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
12. What is Ellison's reaction to the term "Negro culture?"
(a) The term is so vague as to be meaningless.
(b) Highest type of culture.
(c) Past and gone from sight.
(d) It is the world he longs to be in.
13. What year are the African slaves introduced into the American Colonies?
14. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
(a) Dog training school with night classes.
(b) Police Academy with indoor shooting range.
(c) Brothel with large dance hall.
(d) Restaurant with an enormous jute box.
15. What race of people are allowed into Minton's?
(a) Negro musicians and white customers.
(b) White people.
(c) Everybody is allowed in.
(d) Negro people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
2. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
3. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
4. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
5. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)