|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who co-founds modern jazz with Parker?
(a) Pat Brown.
(b) Dizzy Gillespie.
(c) Louis Armstrong.
(d) Jimmy Rushing.
2. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
(a) Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
(b) Voltaire's "Moliere."
(c) T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land."
(d) R. Wright's "Black Boy."
3. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) Too many versions of the book.
(b) Not perfect enough.
(c) No ending.
(d) The transitions the character goes through.
4. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
(a) Cigar box banjo.
(b) Tin fiddle.
(c) Plastic trumpet.
(d) Oil drum.
5. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
(a) African tribal customs transplanted to American soil.
(b) Great amalgam of African, American Indian and European cultures.
(c) Future of American melting pot.
(d) Repression of natural human desire.
6. What Hotel is Minton's part of?
(a) Hotel Barbero.
(b) Hotel LaGrand.
(c) Hotel Cecil.
(d) Hotel Plaza.
7. Who is Mrs. Lydia Maria Child?
(a) Primary benefactor of Tuskegee Institute.
(b) Patron of the LeRoi Restaurant.
(c) Leading member of the American Anti-Slavery Society.
(d) Teacher of jazz poetry.
8. What childhood memory does Ellison draw on to deal with his artistic nemesis?
(a) Being forced to kneel and pray at church.
(b) Falling off a large statue.
(c) His father's death.
(d) Learning to play the trumpet.
9. What does the hero of "Invisible Man" do that is a common theme in Negro folklore?
(a) Writes his thoughts in song lyrics.
(b) Layers meaning under jokes and images of nature.
(c) Hides his true self from the world.
(d) Travels from the south and goes north to find freedom.
10. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
(a) Drum set.
(b) Tape machine.
(d) Box of books.
11. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
12. Where is Ellison living in the essay "Living with Music?"
(a) Across from the Manhattan School of Music.
(b) Tiny ground floor rear apartment.
(c) Vermont barn.
(d) Cabin on board ship.
13. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) There is no significance.
(b) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(c) Dismissive category.
(d) Typographical error.
14. What do the three sections of "Invisible Man" represent?
(a) Purpose to passion to perception.
(b) Terror to understanding to acceptance.
(c) Ancient to modern to future.
(d) Darkness to dawn to full sun at noon.
15. Where is Minton's located?
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine does Ellison write music reviews for?
2. What do all American Negros share?
3. Where does Charlie Parker die?
4. What do people eat at Minton's?
5. Who lives above Ellison?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)