|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
2. Who is Mrs. Lydia Maria Child?
(a) Patron of the LeRoi Restaurant.
(b) Teacher of jazz poetry.
(c) Leading member of the American Anti-Slavery Society.
(d) Primary benefactor of Tuskegee Institute.
3. What race of people are allowed into Minton's?
(a) Everybody is allowed in.
(b) Negro people.
(c) Negro musicians and white customers.
(d) White people.
4. What street is Minton's on?
(a) 11th Avenue.
(b) 1st Avenue.
(c) 118th Street.
5. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Wears earplugs.
(b) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(c) Begins to meditate.
(d) Creates a sound system of his own.
6. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
(a) Tin fiddle.
(b) Plastic trumpet.
(c) Cigar box banjo.
(d) Oil drum.
7. What is James Reese Europe known for?
(a) Starting a fire at Minton's.
(b) Playing the tenor sax.
(c) Inventing the fox trot.
(d) Protesting segregation.
8. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Trumpeter and composer.
(b) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
(c) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
(d) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
9. What do all American Negros share?
(a) Religious and political beliefs.
(b) Genetic links to Central Africa.
(c) Educational and economic level.
(d) A hatred toward European colonization and slavery.
10. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
(a) No, he just wrote as it came to him.
(b) Ellison refuses to discuss his writing method.
(c) Yes, the conceptual framework was in place.
(d) Partly, he knew what the ending would be, but that was all.
11. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
(a) Mental Illness.
(b) Peace and Joy.
(c) Hearing loss.
(d) Writer's block.
12. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
(a) Clef Club and Rhythm Club.
(b) New York Jazz Organization and Rockefeller Trust.
(c) Asbury Baptist and League of Women Voters.
(d) NAACP and YMCA.
13. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
(a) Husband and wife who constantly bicker.
(b) Jazz drummer and trumpet player.
(c) Large family with several sets of infant twins.
(d) Night shift worker who likes Count Bassie.
14. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
(b) Graduate degree in music.
(d) Freshman in college.
15. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
Short Answer Questions
1. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
2. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
3. What magazine does Ellison write music reviews for?
4. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
5. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)