|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) Typographical error.
(b) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(c) There is no significance.
(d) Dismissive category.
2. What childhood memory does Ellison draw on to deal with his artistic nemesis?
(a) His father's death.
(b) Being forced to kneel and pray at church.
(c) Learning to play the trumpet.
(d) Falling off a large statue.
3. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
4. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
(b) Alley behind Minton's.
(c) Crossing the Atlantic.
(d) Mental hospital.
5. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
6. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Creates a sound system of his own.
(b) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(c) Wears earplugs.
(d) Begins to meditate.
7. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
(a) Drum set.
(c) Tape machine.
(d) Box of books.
8. Where is Minton's located?
9. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
(a) R. Wright's "Black Boy."
(b) T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land."
(c) Voltaire's "Moliere."
(d) Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
10. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
(a) Alfred Chester & Vilma Howard.
(b) Gertrude Whittall and T. S. Eliot.
(c) Donald Gibson and Bob Edwards.
(d) John Jacob & Nancy Kerry.
11. What magazine does Ellison write music reviews for?
(a) Music Town Tonight.
(b) New Yorker.
(c) Saturday Review.
(d) Negro Nightlife.
12. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
(b) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(c) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
(d) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
13. In "The Art of Fiction: An Interview" what does Ellison say at the very beginning?
(a) "Invisible Man" is not an autobiography.
(b) Did you hear the one about the three guys who go into a bar?
(c) All questions must be submitted on paper first.
(d) I don't have much time so hurry up.
14. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(d) Role of entertainer.
15. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people eat at Minton's?
2. What does Ellison say slaves had in place of freedom?
3. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
4. What does the drunk of legend who lives on the corner like to yell?
5. Where does Charlie Christian come from?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)