|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the original title of the film "The Birth of a Nation?"
(b) The Clansman.
(c) KKK Army.
(d) White Pride.
2. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(b) Wears earplugs.
(c) Creates a sound system of his own.
(d) Begins to meditate.
3. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
4. What does the hero of "Invisible Man" do that is a common theme in Negro folklore?
(a) Travels from the south and goes north to find freedom.
(b) Layers meaning under jokes and images of nature.
(c) Hides his true self from the world.
(d) Writes his thoughts in song lyrics.
5. What is Minton's Playhouse?
(b) Broadway theater.
(c) Day Care Center.
(d) Historic Jazz Club.
6. Who co-founds modern jazz with Parker?
(a) Jimmy Rushing.
(b) Louis Armstrong.
(c) Pat Brown.
(d) Dizzy Gillespie.
7. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Innovative drummer.
(b) Highest paid night club singer.
(c) Greatest jazz guitarist.
(d) Haunting blues trumpeter.
8. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
(a) Alfred Chester & Vilma Howard.
(b) Gertrude Whittall and T. S. Eliot.
(c) Donald Gibson and Bob Edwards.
(d) John Jacob & Nancy Kerry.
9. Where does Charlie Christian come from?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Oklahoma City.
10. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) Too many versions of the book.
(b) No ending.
(c) Not perfect enough.
(d) The transitions the character goes through.
11. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
(b) Trumpeter and composer.
(c) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
(d) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
12. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
(a) Poor Robin.
(b) Silly Turkey.
(c) Sad Crow.
(d) Haunting Vulture.
13. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
(b) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
(c) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
(d) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
14. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Conscious gesture of separation.
(b) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(c) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
(d) Misguided anger towards society.
15. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
2. What year are the African slaves introduced into the American Colonies?
3. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
4. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
5. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)