|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people eat at Minton's?
(a) Hamburgers and hot dogs.
(b) Peanuts and beer.
(c) Fried chicken, hash, grits, biscuits and hot rolls.
(d) Caviar, champagne and escargot.
2. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
(a) An illusionary view of the world.
(b) Dark tales of slavery and oppression.
(c) Back alley deals with racists.
(d) Flickering films about Negros.
3. What is the first book Ellison ever reviews in a publication?
(a) Richard Wright's "Amazing Grace."
(b) James Baldwin's "Protest Novel."
(c) E. Waters Turpin's "These Low Grounds."
(d) John Joseph's "Ain't no way out."
4. Where is Ellison living in the essay "Living with Music?"
(a) Tiny ground floor rear apartment.
(b) Cabin on board ship.
(c) Vermont barn.
(d) Across from the Manhattan School of Music.
5. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
(a) Sad Crow.
(b) Poor Robin.
(c) Silly Turkey.
(d) Haunting Vulture.
6. What church does Mahalia grow up in?
(a) African Episcopal.
(d) Roman Catholic.
7. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
(a) African tribal customs transplanted to American soil.
(b) Great amalgam of African, American Indian and European cultures.
(c) Repression of natural human desire.
(d) Future of American melting pot.
8. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
(a) Yes, the conceptual framework was in place.
(b) Ellison refuses to discuss his writing method.
(c) Partly, he knew what the ending would be, but that was all.
(d) No, he just wrote as it came to him.
9. What is the "Act" Ellison refers to in the title of both the essay and the book?
10. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
11. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) Not perfect enough.
(b) Too many versions of the book.
(c) No ending.
(d) The transitions the character goes through.
12. Is Ellison interested primarily in injustice or art?
(a) Both equally.
13. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(c) Role of entertainer.
14. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
15. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
(a) Writer's block.
(b) Peace and Joy.
(c) Hearing loss.
(d) Mental Illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
2. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
3. What two types of music is Ellison torn between as a child?
4. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
5. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)