|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Ralph Ellison.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Maria Sothington.
(d) William Faulkner.
2. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) Dismissive category.
(b) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(c) Typographical error.
(d) There is no significance.
3. What Hotel is Minton's part of?
(a) Hotel LaGrand.
(b) Hotel Plaza.
(c) Hotel Cecil.
(d) Hotel Barbero.
4. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
5. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Trumpeter and composer.
(b) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
(c) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
(d) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
6. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
(a) Clef Club and Rhythm Club.
(b) New York Jazz Organization and Rockefeller Trust.
(c) NAACP and YMCA.
(d) Asbury Baptist and League of Women Voters.
7. How does Ellison define the "understanding of art?"
(a) It is not to be understood, only felt.
(b) Created by the whims of the culture at the time.
(c) Depending upon one's willingness to extend one's humanity.
(d) Limited to a very few elite patrons.
8. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
(a) Box of books.
(b) Tape machine.
(c) Drum set.
9. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Alley behind Minton's.
(b) Crossing the Atlantic.
(c) Mental hospital.
(d) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
10. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
(a) Jazz Diva.
(b) High Priestess.
(c) Female Louis Armstrong.
(d) Uncle Tom.
11. Who says Negro dock workers were the best singers of Irish songs?
(a) Stanley Hyman.
(b) Constance Rourke.
(c) Lafcadio Hearn.
(d) Paul Oliver.
12. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
(a) Reveals the most intimate part of American history.
(b) Makes white people comfortable.
(c) Tells lies about the past.
(d) Keeps Negros down.
13. What do the blues capture?
(a) Religion of the Negro people.
(b) Tragic and comic sense of the human condition.
(c) The time period in which they were written.
(d) Personality of the singer.
14. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
(a) They came from African cultures where art was highly functional.
(b) Art was seen as harmless by slave owners.
(c) Entertainment was enforced by white culture.
(d) They were given artistic education by slave owners.
15. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(b) Conscious gesture of separation.
(c) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
(d) Misguided anger towards society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first book Ellison ever reviews in a publication?
2. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
3. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
4. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
5. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)