|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Innovative drummer.
(b) Haunting blues trumpeter.
(c) Highest paid night club singer.
(d) Greatest jazz guitarist.
2. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Wears earplugs.
(b) Creates a sound system of his own.
(c) Begins to meditate.
(d) Pads the walls with newspaper.
3. What is the "Act" Ellison refers to in the title of both the essay and the book?
4. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
(a) Alfred Chester & Vilma Howard.
(b) Gertrude Whittall and T. S. Eliot.
(c) John Jacob & Nancy Kerry.
(d) Donald Gibson and Bob Edwards.
5. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) The transitions the character goes through.
(b) No ending.
(c) Not perfect enough.
(d) Too many versions of the book.
6. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
(a) Asbury Baptist and League of Women Voters.
(b) Clef Club and Rhythm Club.
(c) New York Jazz Organization and Rockefeller Trust.
(d) NAACP and YMCA.
7. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
(a) Approach his work, "Blues People" as a theoretical endeavor.
(b) Eat plenty of vegetables.
(c) Read his poetry outdoors.
(d) Protest against the Vietnam war.
8. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
(a) Female Louis Armstrong.
(b) Uncle Tom.
(c) Jazz Diva.
(d) High Priestess.
9. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
(a) Reveals the most intimate part of American history.
(b) Makes white people comfortable.
(c) Tells lies about the past.
(d) Keeps Negros down.
10. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Mental hospital.
(b) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
(c) Crossing the Atlantic.
(d) Alley behind Minton's.
11. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
(b) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
(c) Trumpeter and composer.
(d) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
12. Who says Negro dock workers were the best singers of Irish songs?
(a) Lafcadio Hearn.
(b) Constance Rourke.
(c) Paul Oliver.
(d) Stanley Hyman.
13. What do people eat at Minton's?
(a) Caviar, champagne and escargot.
(b) Hamburgers and hot dogs.
(c) Fried chicken, hash, grits, biscuits and hot rolls.
(d) Peanuts and beer.
14. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) Dismissive category.
(b) There is no significance.
(c) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(d) Typographical error.
15. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
(a) An illusionary view of the world.
(b) Dark tales of slavery and oppression.
(c) Back alley deals with racists.
(d) Flickering films about Negros.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fee for clients at the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
2. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
3. What childhood memory does Ellison draw on to deal with his artistic nemesis?
4. What does the hero of "Invisible Man" do that is a common theme in Negro folklore?
5. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)