|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the book review "Blues People" published and when?
(a) Cleveland Times, 1974.
(b) Saturday Review, 1945.
(c) New York Review, 1964.
(d) Tukumpsee Reader, 1930.
2. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
(a) Silly Turkey.
(b) Sad Crow.
(c) Haunting Vulture.
(d) Poor Robin.
3. What do all American Negros share?
(a) Educational and economic level.
(b) Genetic links to Central Africa.
(c) A hatred toward European colonization and slavery.
(d) Religious and political beliefs.
4. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
(a) Tin fiddle.
(b) Oil drum.
(c) Plastic trumpet.
(d) Cigar box banjo.
5. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
(a) Back alley deals with racists.
(b) An illusionary view of the world.
(c) Flickering films about Negros.
(d) Dark tales of slavery and oppression.
6. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
(a) Writer's block.
(b) Mental Illness.
(c) Peace and Joy.
(d) Hearing loss.
7. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
8. What is unique about "The Way It Is" compared to the other essays?
(a) Recommends communism.
(b) Written as a narrative story.
(c) Focuses on Negro persons.
(d) Has no humor.
9. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Creates a sound system of his own.
(b) Wears earplugs.
(c) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(d) Begins to meditate.
10. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Conscious gesture of separation.
(b) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(c) Misguided anger towards society.
(d) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
11. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
(c) Freshman in college.
(d) Graduate degree in music.
12. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
(b) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(c) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
(d) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
13. What year are the African slaves introduced into the American Colonies?
14. What does Ellison read in 1935 that moves and intrigues him?
(a) T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land."
(b) Voltaire's "Moliere."
(c) R. Wright's "Black Boy."
(d) Shakespeare's "Hamlet."
15. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Highest paid night club singer.
(b) Innovative drummer.
(c) Greatest jazz guitarist.
(d) Haunting blues trumpeter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
2. Jones contends "A slave cannot be a ______" (fill in word).
3. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
4. What do people eat at Minton's?
5. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)