|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jimmy Rushing's instrument?
2. What race of people are allowed into Minton's?
(a) Everybody is allowed in.
(b) Negro people.
(c) White people.
(d) Negro musicians and white customers.
3. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Alley behind Minton's.
(b) Mental hospital.
(c) Crossing the Atlantic.
(d) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
4. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(d) Role of entertainer.
5. What do all American Negros share?
(a) Religious and political beliefs.
(b) A hatred toward European colonization and slavery.
(c) Genetic links to Central Africa.
(d) Educational and economic level.
6. In "The Art of Fiction: An Interview" what does Ellison say at the very beginning?
(a) "Invisible Man" is not an autobiography.
(b) I don't have much time so hurry up.
(c) All questions must be submitted on paper first.
(d) Did you hear the one about the three guys who go into a bar?
7. What is remarkable about the psychiatric staff?
(a) Receive no salary.
(b) Have no experience.
(c) Have no psychiatric training.
(d) Not licensed by the state.
8. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
(a) Back alley deals with racists.
(b) Dark tales of slavery and oppression.
(c) An illusionary view of the world.
(d) Flickering films about Negros.
9. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
(a) Partly, he knew what the ending would be, but that was all.
(b) No, he just wrote as it came to him.
(c) Yes, the conceptual framework was in place.
(d) Ellison refuses to discuss his writing method.
10. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
(a) Der Lieberstein.
(b) Wings of a Dove.
(c) Move On Up a Little Higher.
(d) Amazing Grace.
11. What is the "Act" Ellison refers to in the title of both the essay and the book?
12. Who lives above Ellison?
(a) Diligent classical singer.
(b) Judo training facility.
(c) Tap dancer.
(d) Exercise club.
13. What is Mrs. Jackson cooking in "The Way It Is?"
(a) Chili con carne.
(b) Venison and lima beans.
(c) Peas, rice and pork chops.
(d) Hot dogs and tuna fish casserole.
14. Where is Minton's located?
15. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Female Louis Armstrong.
(c) High Priestess.
(d) Jazz Diva.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fee for clients at the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
2. Where is the book review "Blues People" published and when?
3. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
4. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
5. When does Jones place the beginnings of the blues?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)