Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Maria Sothington.
(b) Ralph Ellison.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) William Faulkner.
2. What is Ellison's reaction to the term "Negro culture?"
(a) The term is so vague as to be meaningless.
(b) It is the world he longs to be in.
(c) Past and gone from sight.
(d) Highest type of culture.
3. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) Typographical error.
(b) Dismissive category.
(c) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(d) There is no significance.
4. What magazine does Ellison write music reviews for?
(a) Music Town Tonight.
(b) Saturday Review.
(c) New Yorker.
(d) Negro Nightlife.
5. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
(b) Misguided anger towards society.
(c) Conscious gesture of separation.
(d) Attempt to circumvent critics.
6. Who lives above Ellison?
(a) Diligent classical singer.
(b) Tap dancer.
(c) Judo training facility.
(d) Exercise club.
7. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
(a) Henry Minton and Ralph Ellison.
(b) Henry Minton and Teddy Hill.
(c) Henry Minton and Joey Minton.
(d) Henry Minton and Louis Armstrong.
8. What does the drunk of legend who lives on the corner like to yell?
(a) I'm lost.
(b) Shut up.
(c) Ain't nobody here but me.
(d) It's a long way to Tipperary.
9. What do people eat at Minton's?
(a) Fried chicken, hash, grits, biscuits and hot rolls.
(b) Peanuts and beer.
(c) Hamburgers and hot dogs.
(d) Caviar, champagne and escargot.
10. What kind of radio does Ellison have?
(a) Old Philco AM with Pilot FM tuner.
(b) Wooden American Minder with glass tubes.
(c) Old Nelson AM with Riddle FM tuner.
(d) Plastic transistor radio.
11. In "Blues People" how are the blues categorized?
(a) Good or bad.
(b) Country or classic.
(c) Poetic or Sociological.
(d) Negro or White.
12. What Hotel is Minton's part of?
(a) Hotel Plaza.
(b) Hotel Barbero.
(c) Hotel Cecil.
(d) Hotel LaGrand.
13. What does Ellison say slaves had in place of freedom?
(a) Suffering, despair, darkness.
(b) Blues, spirituals, jazz.
(c) Early death, disease, drunkenness.
(d) Dementia, mental illness, emptiness.
14. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
(b) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(c) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
(d) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
15. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
2. Where is Minton's located?
3. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
4. What is James Reese Europe known for?
5. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)