|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
2. Who is Mrs. Lydia Maria Child?
(a) Teacher of jazz poetry.
(b) Patron of the LeRoi Restaurant.
(c) Leading member of the American Anti-Slavery Society.
(d) Primary benefactor of Tuskegee Institute.
3. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(d) Role of entertainer.
4. What does Ellison say slaves had in place of freedom?
(a) Dementia, mental illness, emptiness.
(b) Suffering, despair, darkness.
(c) Blues, spirituals, jazz.
(d) Early death, disease, drunkenness.
5. What is the original title of the film "The Birth of a Nation?"
(a) KKK Army.
(b) The Clansman.
(c) White Pride.
6. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) Too many versions of the book.
(b) Not perfect enough.
(c) The transitions the character goes through.
(d) No ending.
7. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
(b) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(c) Conscious gesture of separation.
(d) Misguided anger towards society.
8. Jones contends "A slave cannot be a ______" (fill in word).
9. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
(a) Box of books.
(b) Drum set.
(c) Tape machine.
10. What do all American Negros share?
(a) Educational and economic level.
(b) A hatred toward European colonization and slavery.
(c) Genetic links to Central Africa.
(d) Religious and political beliefs.
11. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
(b) Crossing the Atlantic.
(c) Alley behind Minton's.
(d) Mental hospital.
12. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Begins to meditate.
(b) Wears earplugs.
(c) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(d) Creates a sound system of his own.
13. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
(a) Move On Up a Little Higher.
(b) Wings of a Dove.
(c) Amazing Grace.
(d) Der Lieberstein.
14. Who painted the mural that is displayed above Minton's bandstand?
(a) Ralph Ellison.
(b) Anonymous W.P.A. worker.
(c) Paul Cezanne.
(d) Charles Graham.
15. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
(b) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
(c) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(d) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
2. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
3. When does Jones place the beginnings of the blues?
4. What is the first book Ellison ever reviews in a publication?
5. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)