|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
(b) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
(c) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
(d) Trumpeter and composer.
2. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(b) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
(c) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
(d) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
3. What is Mrs. Jackson cooking in "The Way It Is?"
(a) Venison and lima beans.
(b) Chili con carne.
(c) Peas, rice and pork chops.
(d) Hot dogs and tuna fish casserole.
4. What do all American Negros share?
(a) Educational and economic level.
(b) Religious and political beliefs.
(c) A hatred toward European colonization and slavery.
(d) Genetic links to Central Africa.
5. Who says Negro dock workers were the best singers of Irish songs?
(a) Lafcadio Hearn.
(b) Constance Rourke.
(c) Stanley Hyman.
(d) Paul Oliver.
6. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(d) Role of entertainer.
7. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) Too many versions of the book.
(b) Not perfect enough.
(c) The transitions the character goes through.
(d) No ending.
8. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Innovative drummer.
(b) Haunting blues trumpeter.
(c) Highest paid night club singer.
(d) Greatest jazz guitarist.
9. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
(a) Great amalgam of African, American Indian and European cultures.
(b) Future of American melting pot.
(c) African tribal customs transplanted to American soil.
(d) Repression of natural human desire.
10. Jones contends "A slave cannot be a ______" (fill in word).
11. Where does Charlie Christian come from?
(b) Oklahoma City.
(d) San Francisco.
12. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(b) Begins to meditate.
(c) Creates a sound system of his own.
(d) Wears earplugs.
13. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Joe and Mal.
(b) William Faulkner and Maria Sothington.
(c) Mark Marroni and Leroy Belvadon.
(d) Chick Mallison and Lucas Beauchamp.
14. What church does Mahalia grow up in?
(b) African Episcopal.
(c) Roman Catholic.
15. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
(a) Entertainment was enforced by white culture.
(b) They came from African cultures where art was highly functional.
(c) They were given artistic education by slave owners.
(d) Art was seen as harmless by slave owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
2. What is Charlie Parker's nickname?
3. What two types of music is Ellison torn between as a child?
4. What kind of radio does Ellison have?
5. Where does Charlie Parker die?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)