|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
(a) Haunting Vulture.
(b) Sad Crow.
(c) Silly Turkey.
(d) Poor Robin.
2. What do the blues capture?
(a) Religion of the Negro people.
(b) The time period in which they were written.
(c) Tragic and comic sense of the human condition.
(d) Personality of the singer.
3. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Alley behind Minton's.
(b) Crossing the Atlantic.
(c) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
(d) Mental hospital.
4. Is Ellison interested primarily in injustice or art?
(d) Both equally.
5. What is the "Act" Ellison refers to in the title of both the essay and the book?
6. What is remarkable about the psychiatric staff?
(a) Receive no salary.
(b) Have no psychiatric training.
(c) Not licensed by the state.
(d) Have no experience.
7. Where does Charlie Christian come from?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Oklahoma City.
8. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
(a) NAACP and YMCA.
(b) Asbury Baptist and League of Women Voters.
(c) New York Jazz Organization and Rockefeller Trust.
(d) Clef Club and Rhythm Club.
9. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Innovative drummer.
(b) Haunting blues trumpeter.
(c) Highest paid night club singer.
(d) Greatest jazz guitarist.
10. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
(a) The transitions the character goes through.
(b) No ending.
(c) Too many versions of the book.
(d) Not perfect enough.
11. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
(a) Makes white people comfortable.
(b) Tells lies about the past.
(c) Keeps Negros down.
(d) Reveals the most intimate part of American history.
12. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
(a) Henry Minton and Ralph Ellison.
(b) Henry Minton and Teddy Hill.
(c) Henry Minton and Louis Armstrong.
(d) Henry Minton and Joey Minton.
13. What is Ellison reading when he begins writing "Invisible Man?"
(a) "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.
(b) "Native Son" by Richard Wright.
(c) "The Problem of Leadership" by Rod Mitchell
(d) "The Hero" by Lord Raglan.
14. Where is the book review "Blues People" published and when?
(a) New York Review, 1964.
(b) Cleveland Times, 1974.
(c) Tukumpsee Reader, 1930.
(d) Saturday Review, 1945.
15. What is the first book Ellison ever reviews in a publication?
(a) E. Waters Turpin's "These Low Grounds."
(b) Richard Wright's "Amazing Grace."
(c) James Baldwin's "Protest Novel."
(d) John Joseph's "Ain't no way out."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives above Ellison?
2. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
3. What do all American Negros share?
4. Where is Minton's located?
5. What does the hero of "Invisible Man" do that is a common theme in Negro folklore?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)