|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
(b) Graduate degree in music.
(c) Freshman in college.
2. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
(a) Dog training school with night classes.
(b) Restaurant with an enormous jute box.
(c) Police Academy with indoor shooting range.
(d) Brothel with large dance hall.
3. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Innovative drummer.
(b) Haunting blues trumpeter.
(c) Greatest jazz guitarist.
(d) Highest paid night club singer.
4. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Alley behind Minton's.
(b) Crossing the Atlantic.
(c) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
(d) Mental hospital.
5. Where is Minton's located?
6. What year are the African slaves introduced into the American Colonies?
7. What street is Minton's on?
(a) 1st Avenue.
(b) 11th Avenue.
(d) 118th Street.
8. From what did Parker struggle to escape?
(c) Role of entertainer.
9. What race of people are allowed into Minton's?
(a) Negro musicians and white customers.
(b) Negro people.
(c) Everybody is allowed in.
(d) White people.
10. What do people eat at Minton's?
(a) Peanuts and beer.
(b) Fried chicken, hash, grits, biscuits and hot rolls.
(c) Hamburgers and hot dogs.
(d) Caviar, champagne and escargot.
11. What is unique about "The Way It Is" compared to the other essays?
(a) Focuses on Negro persons.
(b) Written as a narrative story.
(c) Has no humor.
(d) Recommends communism.
12. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
(a) Pads the walls with newspaper.
(b) Wears earplugs.
(c) Creates a sound system of his own.
(d) Begins to meditate.
13. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
(a) Reveals the most intimate part of American history.
(b) Keeps Negros down.
(c) Makes white people comfortable.
(d) Tells lies about the past.
14. Who lives above Ellison?
(a) Exercise club.
(b) Diligent classical singer.
(c) Tap dancer.
(d) Judo training facility.
15. What is Ellison's reaction to the term "Negro culture?"
(a) Past and gone from sight.
(b) It is the world he longs to be in.
(c) Highest type of culture.
(d) The term is so vague as to be meaningless.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
2. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
3. What do the blues capture?
4. What do all American Negros share?
5. What is Charlie Parker's nickname?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)