|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is remarkable about the psychiatric staff?
(a) Have no experience.
(b) Not licensed by the state.
(c) Receive no salary.
(d) Have no psychiatric training.
2. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
(a) Writer's block.
(b) Hearing loss.
(c) Peace and Joy.
(d) Mental Illness.
3. What Hotel is Minton's part of?
(a) Hotel LaGrand.
(b) Hotel Barbero.
(c) Hotel Plaza.
(d) Hotel Cecil.
4. Is Ellison interested primarily in injustice or art?
(a) Both equally.
5. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
(a) Repression of natural human desire.
(b) Great amalgam of African, American Indian and European cultures.
(c) African tribal customs transplanted to American soil.
(d) Future of American melting pot.
6. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
(a) Eat plenty of vegetables.
(b) Protest against the Vietnam war.
(c) Approach his work, "Blues People" as a theoretical endeavor.
(d) Read his poetry outdoors.
7. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
8. What is Mrs. Jackson cooking in "The Way It Is?"
(a) Peas, rice and pork chops.
(b) Chili con carne.
(c) Venison and lima beans.
(d) Hot dogs and tuna fish casserole.
9. What do the three sections of "Invisible Man" represent?
(a) Darkness to dawn to full sun at noon.
(b) Purpose to passion to perception.
(c) Terror to understanding to acceptance.
(d) Ancient to modern to future.
10. What childhood memory does Ellison draw on to deal with his artistic nemesis?
(a) Learning to play the trumpet.
(b) His father's death.
(c) Falling off a large statue.
(d) Being forced to kneel and pray at church.
11. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
12. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
(a) Entertainment was enforced by white culture.
(b) Art was seen as harmless by slave owners.
(c) They came from African cultures where art was highly functional.
(d) They were given artistic education by slave owners.
13. What does the hero of "Invisible Man" do that is a common theme in Negro folklore?
(a) Travels from the south and goes north to find freedom.
(b) Hides his true self from the world.
(c) Writes his thoughts in song lyrics.
(d) Layers meaning under jokes and images of nature.
14. What is the significance of printing Negro with a capital N?
(a) Victory for Negro people's self-definition.
(b) Dismissive category.
(c) There is no significance.
(d) Typographical error.
15. What is the final grade Jackson finished in school?
(b) Freshman in college.
(d) Graduate degree in music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
2. What street is Minton's on?
3. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
4. What does Ellison do to find some peace and quiet?
5. What is Ellison's reaction to the term "Negro culture?"
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)