|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the original title of the film "The Birth of a Nation?"
(a) KKK Army.
(b) The Clansman.
(c) White Pride.
2. Who is Charlie Christian?
(a) Innovative drummer.
(b) Greatest jazz guitarist.
(c) Highest paid night club singer.
(d) Haunting blues trumpeter.
3. In "Blues People" how are the blues categorized?
(a) Negro or White.
(b) Poetic or Sociological.
(c) Country or classic.
(d) Good or bad.
4. Who painted the mural that is displayed above Minton's bandstand?
(a) Ralph Ellison.
(b) Paul Cezanne.
(c) Anonymous W.P.A. worker.
(d) Charles Graham.
5. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
(a) Plastic trumpet.
(b) Oil drum.
(c) Tin fiddle.
(d) Cigar box banjo.
6. What is Minton's Playhouse?
(a) Historic Jazz Club.
(c) Day Care Center.
(d) Broadway theater.
7. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Maria Sothington.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Ralph Ellison.
(d) William Faulkner.
8. What is James Reese Europe known for?
(a) Starting a fire at Minton's.
(b) Protesting segregation.
(c) Inventing the fox trot.
(d) Playing the tenor sax.
9. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
(b) Conscious gesture of separation.
(c) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(d) Misguided anger towards society.
10. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
(a) Dark tales of slavery and oppression.
(b) Back alley deals with racists.
(c) An illusionary view of the world.
(d) Flickering films about Negros.
11. Who says Negro dock workers were the best singers of Irish songs?
(a) Paul Oliver.
(b) Stanley Hyman.
(c) Lafcadio Hearn.
(d) Constance Rourke.
12. What does Ellison say slaves had in place of freedom?
(a) Early death, disease, drunkenness.
(b) Suffering, despair, darkness.
(c) Blues, spirituals, jazz.
(d) Dementia, mental illness, emptiness.
13. In "The Art of Fiction: An Interview" what does Ellison say at the very beginning?
(a) Did you hear the one about the three guys who go into a bar?
(b) I don't have much time so hurry up.
(c) "Invisible Man" is not an autobiography.
(d) All questions must be submitted on paper first.
14. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
(b) Box of books.
(c) Tape machine.
(d) Drum set.
15. Who are the two main characters in "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Chick Mallison and Lucas Beauchamp.
(b) Mark Marroni and Leroy Belvadon.
(c) Joe and Mal.
(d) William Faulkner and Maria Sothington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
2. How did Mrs. Jackson's nephew William die?
3. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
4. How does Ellison describe Mahalia Jackson?
5. What two types of music is Ellison torn between as a child?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)