|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
2. In "Blues People" how are the blues categorized?
(a) Poetic or Sociological.
(b) Good or bad.
(c) Negro or White.
(d) Country or classic.
3. When does Jones place the beginnings of the blues?
(a) At the Negro's conscious appearance on the American scene.
(b) During the Civil Rights movement.
(c) In ancient times throughout Africa.
(d) World War II.
4. What is Minton's Playhouse?
(a) Historic Jazz Club.
(b) Day Care Center.
(c) Broadway theater.
5. What is the fee for clients at the Lafargue Psychiatric Clinic?
(a) Twenty five cents.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Twenty five dollars.
6. Where does Charlie Parker die?
(a) Mental hospital.
(b) Hotel suite of a Baroness.
(c) Crossing the Atlantic.
(d) Alley behind Minton's.
7. What is the original title of the film "The Birth of a Nation?"
(a) White Pride.
(b) KKK Army.
(c) The Clansman.
8. Who are the two primary managers of Minton's?
(a) Henry Minton and Joey Minton.
(b) Henry Minton and Ralph Ellison.
(c) Henry Minton and Teddy Hill.
(d) Henry Minton and Louis Armstrong.
9. Does Ellison have "Invisible Man" completely thought out prior to writing it?
(a) Ellison refuses to discuss his writing method.
(b) Partly, he knew what the ending would be, but that was all.
(c) No, he just wrote as it came to him.
(d) Yes, the conceptual framework was in place.
10. Where does Charlie Christian come from?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Oklahoma City.
11. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
(a) Dog training school with night classes.
(b) Brothel with large dance hall.
(c) Police Academy with indoor shooting range.
(d) Restaurant with an enormous jute box.
12. What do the three sections of "Invisible Man" represent?
(a) Terror to understanding to acceptance.
(b) Ancient to modern to future.
(c) Darkness to dawn to full sun at noon.
(d) Purpose to passion to perception.
13. When is "The Birth of a Nation" released?
14. Why are slaves able to express themselves in art?
(a) Entertainment was enforced by white culture.
(b) They were given artistic education by slave owners.
(c) Art was seen as harmless by slave owners.
(d) They came from African cultures where art was highly functional.
15. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Trumpeter and composer.
(b) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
(c) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
(d) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellison believe Negro folklore does?
2. What do the blues capture?
3. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
4. What does the chaos of noise cause in Ellison?
5. What is the "Shadow" which Hollywood produces?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)