|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
(a) Alfred Chester & Vilma Howard.
(b) John Jacob & Nancy Kerry.
(c) Gertrude Whittall and T. S. Eliot.
(d) Donald Gibson and Bob Edwards.
2. In "The Art of Fiction: An Interview" what does Ellison say at the very beginning?
(a) Did you hear the one about the three guys who go into a bar?
(b) "Invisible Man" is not an autobiography.
(c) All questions must be submitted on paper first.
(d) I don't have much time so hurry up.
3. Culturally, what do American Negros represent?
(a) Future of American melting pot.
(b) Repression of natural human desire.
(c) African tribal customs transplanted to American soil.
(d) Great amalgam of African, American Indian and European cultures.
4. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
(a) Haunting Vulture.
(b) Poor Robin.
(c) Silly Turkey.
(d) Sad Crow.
5. Who is the author of the novel "Intruder in the Dust?"
(a) Maria Sothington.
(b) Ralph Ellison.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) William Faulkner.
6. What institutions does Minton's evolve out of?
(a) Asbury Baptist and League of Women Voters.
(b) Clef Club and Rhythm Club.
(c) NAACP and YMCA.
(d) New York Jazz Organization and Rockefeller Trust.
7. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
(a) Tin fiddle.
(b) Plastic trumpet.
(c) Cigar box banjo.
(d) Oil drum.
8. What instrument does Henry Minton play?
9. What is Mrs. Jackson cooking in "The Way It Is?"
(a) Hot dogs and tuna fish casserole.
(b) Chili con carne.
(c) Venison and lima beans.
(d) Peas, rice and pork chops.
10. What does Jones analyze "bop" as?
(a) Conscious gesture of separation.
(b) Misguided anger towards society.
(c) Attempt to circumvent critics.
(d) Cultivated blues disguised as popular culture.
11. Who is Mrs. Lydia Maria Child?
(a) Leading member of the American Anti-Slavery Society.
(b) Teacher of jazz poetry.
(c) Patron of the LeRoi Restaurant.
(d) Primary benefactor of Tuskegee Institute.
12. What do people eat at Minton's?
(a) Peanuts and beer.
(b) Caviar, champagne and escargot.
(c) Hamburgers and hot dogs.
(d) Fried chicken, hash, grits, biscuits and hot rolls.
13. What does Jones advise his audience to do?
(a) Protest against the Vietnam war.
(b) Read his poetry outdoors.
(c) Approach his work, "Blues People" as a theoretical endeavor.
(d) Eat plenty of vegetables.
14. Jones contends "A slave cannot be a ______" (fill in word).
15. What street is Minton's on?
(a) 118th Street.
(c) 1st Avenue.
(d) 11th Avenue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does "Invisible Man" take so long to complete?
2. When does Jones place the beginnings of the blues?
3. What is unique about "The Way It Is" compared to the other essays?
4. What kind of radio does Ellison have?
5. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)