|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, The Shadow and the Act, Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What establishment is to the right of Ellison?
(a) Brothel with large dance hall.
(b) Police Academy with indoor shooting range.
(c) Dog training school with night classes.
(d) Restaurant with an enormous jute box.
2. How does Ellison start writing?
(a) His mother asks him to write the story of her life.
(b) Ellison is commissioned by the New York City Opera to write a libretto.
(c) Richard Wright asks him to review a novel for Wright's magazine.
(d) Ellison fails to get into the jazz band he wants so he writes about it.
3. What type of jug does Ellison believe young Negro writers, such as himself, are in?
(a) Small overcrowded jug.
(b) Broken jug, leaking and being wasted.
(c) Expensive jug, one to be carefully guarded.
(d) Transparent jug, stuck inside but able to see out.
4. Who is Stephen Crane?
(a) A 20th century novelist and author of "Here today, gone tomorrow."
(b) Ellison's first English professor who wrote "Black like me."
(c) A novelist born just after the Civil War.
(d) A English gentleman who has fast holdings of land, slaves and wealth.
5. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
(a) Alfred Chester & Vilma Howard.
(b) Donald Gibson and Bob Edwards.
(c) John Jacob & Nancy Kerry.
(d) Gertrude Whittall and T. S. Eliot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the drunk of legend who lives on the corner like to yell?
2. In "Blues People" how are the blues categorized?
3. How does Ellison describe the writer Malraux?
4. Why does Oklahoma hold some freedom and equality for Negroes at the time Ellison lived there?
5. What is the first book Ellison ever reviews in a publication?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)