|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, The Shadow and the Act, Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jones place the beginnings of the blues?
(a) World War II.
(b) In ancient times throughout Africa.
(c) At the Negro's conscious appearance on the American scene.
(d) During the Civil Rights movement.
2. Who is Stanley Edgar Hyman?
(a) Ellison's uncle who has a good sense of humor.
(b) A lyricist and comedian in the 1930's.
(c) The prominent Negro intellectual who wrote "Santa Claus is Black."
(d) A scholar who wrote on the relationship between Negro literature and folklore.
3. What does Ellison say good fiction is made of?
(a) What is real.
(b) Eternal truth.
(d) Tricks of the trade.
4. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
(a) Der Lieberstein.
(b) Move On Up a Little Higher.
(c) Amazing Grace.
(d) Wings of a Dove.
5. Why does Ellison's family live in a middle class white neighborhood in Oklahoma City?
(a) His mother, a single parent, is a custodian in an apartment building there.
(b) There is no Negro neighborhood in Oklahoma City.
(c) Ellison's father made a great deal of money in the railroad business.
(d) Ellison's family has always been well to do and had nice houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bible myth is referred to in "The World and the Jug?"
2. What are the three themes of "Shadow and Act" according to the Introduction?
3. Who pays for Gunnar Myrdal to study the American Negro?
4. What does the drunk of legend who lives on the corner like to yell?
5. What is the basic spiritual outlook of the American Negro?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)