|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Sound and the Mainstream, Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other white cultures have black face type entertainment, but what is different about American black face?
(a) The American history of inclusive entertainment makes it acceptable.
(b) American black face is always light and fun.
(c) The American history of slavery makes it a "ritual of exorcism."
(d) American black face is performed by Negro actors only.
2. What is the first book Ellison ever reviews in a publication?
(a) E. Waters Turpin's "These Low Grounds."
(b) James Baldwin's "Protest Novel."
(c) John Joseph's "Ain't no way out."
(d) Richard Wright's "Amazing Grace."
3. What writers does Ellison wish had been included in the "Primer for White Folks"?
(a) Hispanic authors.
(b) Young unknown writers.
(c) More Negro writers.
(d) Major, widely-read American authors.
4. What race of people are allowed into Minton's?
(a) White people.
(b) Negro people.
(c) Negro musicians and white customers.
(d) Everybody is allowed in.
5. Where and when is "The World and The Jug" published?
(a) New Leader, 1963 and 1964.
(b) Mississippian, 1967 and 1968.
(c) New York Times, 1965.
(d) Paris Review, 1966.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interviews Ellison in "The Art of Fiction?"
2. That Ellison's first novel might win a prestigious award makes him think what?
3. What is Ellison's original career direction?
4. Who painted the mural that is displayed above Minton's bandstand?
5. What does Ellison believe is the true "Negro experience?"
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)