|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Sound and the Mainstream, Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke" what does Ellison say black face allows white America to do?
(a) Avoid looking at the shallowness of white American culture.
(b) Laugh and forget about its troubles and woes.
(c) Pour out its hatred and fear in a theatrical form.
(d) See the Negro story from a different perspective.
2. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
(a) Negro term for nightfall.
(b) Negro term for white people.
(c) American melting pot.
(d) Slang word for feeling bored.
3. What kind of bird does Ellison say Parker is?
(a) Haunting Vulture.
(b) Silly Turkey.
(c) Poor Robin.
(d) Sad Crow.
4. Why does Ellison consider Stephen Crane a great artist?
(a) He was the first great Negro author.
(b) Under pressure and panic he stuck to his guns.
(c) He wrote so many books.
(d) He was talented in so many artistic fields.
5. How does Ellison start writing?
(a) Ellison fails to get into the jazz band he wants so he writes about it.
(b) Ellison is commissioned by the New York City Opera to write a libretto.
(c) His mother asks him to write the story of her life.
(d) Richard Wright asks him to review a novel for Wright's magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Crane and his wife move to England?
2. What is the origin of the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke?"
3. Violence is inflicted upon Wright by family, friends, and society as a whole. What is his response?
4. Why does Ellison reject the "hard-boiled" novel style of writing?
5. What are Crane's parents like?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)