|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Sound and the Mainstream, Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Crane when he wrote his masterpiece "The Red Badge of Courage?"
2. What type of jug does Ellison say Howe imagines Negro people to be in?
(a) Jug of beer in which they are drowning.
(b) Empty jug with no way out.
(c) Steel jug waiting for a black messiah to come and blow off the cork.
(d) Heavy jug that takes two men to lift it.
3. Why does Ellison choose to analyze William Falkner?
(a) Falkner is a great artist and could not be left out of the discussion.
(b) Falkner is very critical of Ellison's novel.
(c) Falkner is a close personal friend of Ellison.
(d) Falkner writes about Negro life with mixed motives but also with great success.
4. What Bible myth is referred to in "The World and the Jug?"
(a) Garden of Eden.
(b) Baby Moses and the Pharaoh's daughter.
(c) Noah, Ham, Shem and Japheth.
(d) Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
5. How old is Stephen Crane when he dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stephen Crane?
2. Hemingway carries on Twain's technical discoveries in writing but loses what?
3. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
4. What distresses Ellison most about the essay "Black Boys and Native Sons?"
5. What falls on Ellison and his wife while they sleep?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)