|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Sound and the Mainstream, Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occasion of Ellison's speech "Brave Words on a Startling Occasion?"
(a) Eldest son's wedding.
(b) Address to the Harvard University graduating class of 1950.
(c) Induction into the American Negro Writer's Hall of Fame.
(d) Acceptance of the American National Book Award in 1953.
2. How does Ellison define the "understanding of art?"
(a) Limited to a very few elite patrons.
(b) It is not to be understood, only felt.
(c) Created by the whims of the culture at the time.
(d) Depending upon one's willingness to extend one's humanity.
3. What street is Minton's on?
(b) 11th Avenue.
(c) 118th Street.
(d) 1st Avenue.
4. How does Ellison describe his relationship with Howe?
(a) Comrades in arms.
(b) Bitterly opposed enemies.
(c) Alienation and scorn.
(d) Antagonistic cooperation.
5. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
(a) Negro term for white people.
(b) American melting pot.
(c) Slang word for feeling bored.
(d) Negro term for nightfall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which American writers is the piece "Black Boys and Native Sons" about?
2. What song moves Jackson into the public eye?
3. What is Minton's Playhouse?
4. What does Ellison praise about "Primer for White Folks?"
5. What is Ellison's original career direction?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)